A/C options for the garage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C options for the garage...

OK so I have been thinking of re-doing the garage since I dont have any cars in it currently. Im planning a new work bench along with other stuff and A/C is also on the list but I dont know what my options are. I dont have any windows and the house is brick and I would prefer not cut a hole for a window unit. So here is what Im thinking.

One of those portable free standing A/C units with the vent routed to the ceiling to vent out. I have never seen one working so I dont know how well they cool though.

A window unit installed on some framing attached to the wall with a chiney type vent leading up to the attic. Also maybe a drain pan and drain on the bottom of it. Would that even work?

Just install a ductless split system.
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
      Just install a ductless split system.
      I dont know what that is but Im guessing its alot more expensive than the two options I gave? Quick google search says $2500+, is that right?

Comment

depends on the brand, but thats the way i would go too mini split.....We did one for a guy over in frisco so he can work on his vette in comfort....If your interested i can get you a price.

Thanks
        81 LX
        82 GT

Comment

No thanks, pricing is too high on those setups. I will probably be installing new inside/outside units for the house so I may go bigger and run a duct to the garage and seal the garage doors as best as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
            I dont know what that is but Im guessing its alot more expensive than the two options I gave? Quick google search says $2500+, is that right?
            thats high

I have seen the split systems for around 1k for heat and a/c

Comment

I bet electricity consumption on running new ducts vs a split system would cover the cost of the split system within a year and a half or so.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Most garages do not have insulation in the walls or the attic. If you do hvac you might think about at least having the attic sprayed to an r-30. The walls are a pain in the ass, they can cut holes in the top and bottom of the wall between every stud and blow it in. That kills the walls so a lot of people pull the drywall, install bats and hang new rock. Not worth it, but the attic is. They sell kits for the garage door that come with seals for the sides and foam panels for the door itself.

Comment

i bought a window a/c unit from home depot and called a handyman service guy out of phone book to install for me. i didnt feel comfortable cutting out my bricks. it turned out great and he only charged like $250. in the heat of the summer I can get my garage to about 73 degrees. but i did insulate all the garage walls which werent insulated and got that foam garage door insulation stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                    thats high

I have seen the split systems for around 1k for heat and a/c

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    I bet electricity consumption on running new ducts vs a split system would cover the cost of the split system within a year and a half or so.
                    The units I saw showed $1500-up before install. I looked up a install video for shits and giggles and it looks pretty labor intensive. Also I would have to mount the "outside" unit outdoors Im assuming, it would struggle with the attic heat and that would be expesive to run the AC lines across the house to get it in the back yard. Alot more hassle than I would like.

You might be right about the energy consumption with using the main A/C and ducting it into the garage also. Ill have to think about this and maybe look into it later on when I have more money to spend.

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                    Most garages do not have insulation in the walls or the attic. If you do hvac you might think about at least having the attic sprayed to an r-30. The walls are a pain in the ass, they can cut holes in the top and bottom of the wall between every stud and blow it in. That kills the walls so a lot of people pull the drywall, install bats and hang new rock. Not worth it, but the attic is. They sell kits for the garage door that come with seals for the sides and foam panels for the door itself.
                    Im planning on new garage doors ASAP and actually want to remove both the doors and convert to a single door. Still need to get some estimates but I plan on having them seal the new door as best as possible and I will add the insulation on the door. I planned on spraying the attic at the same time as adding some kind of AC also, thanks for that tip though. The walls I may leave empty, not sure yet.

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                    i bought a window a/c unit from home depot and called a handyman service guy out of phone book to install for me. i didnt feel comfortable cutting out my bricks. it turned out great and he only charged like $250. in the heat of the summer I can get my garage to about 73 degrees. but i did insulate all the garage walls which werent insulated and got that foam garage door insulation stuff too.

I dont want a hole in my brick. I thought about this but I just dont like the look of it. I even thought of adding a couple windows to the side of the garage and putting a unit in one of them but I like the security of not having windows.

Comment

If you're going to leave the walls empty, it's really not worth putting a/c in the garage IMO. I have a framing issue that I have to get corrected (rafters sag, need to put in a 6x12 brace), but once that is done I'm ripping out all the sheetrock, installing bats, and hanging new rock. A lot of my sheetrock needs to be replaced anyways. 38 years of being run in to, cracking as foundation settled, etc.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

even with the walls empty it will still get cold in there. My neighbor converted her garage into a den and didnt do anything with the walls and just added a window unit to the exterior wall and it can get pretty chilly in there. Im sure its not the most energy efficient thing but I dont plan on running it everyday, just when Im in there working.

Comment

There are units made by Dykin, I think I'm spelling that right, that is a ductless mini-split system that can be installed on the wall with nothing more than about a 3/4" hole put in the wall.

It does have to be installed by a qualified installer, however.

I'm guessing your interior garage walls are finished sheetrock? You could always have foam insulation sprayed into the walls. You'd have to repair all the holes your put in the sheetrock, but it would solve that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                            it turned out great and he only charged like $250. in the heat of the summer I can get my garage to about 73 degrees.
                            That's pretty good, when it is 100+ outside 85 would be a huge relief.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Needs 8 View Post
                              There are units made by Dykin, I think I'm spelling that right, that is a ductless mini-split system that can be installed on the wall with nothing more than about a 3/4" hole put in the wall.

It does have to be installed by a qualified installer, however.

I'm guessing your interior garage walls are finished sheetrock? You could always have foam insulation sprayed into the walls. You'd have to repair all the holes your put in the sheetrock, but it would solve that problem.
                              I understand that but the compressor part of the split system has to be put outside somewhere right? I doubt it would work very well if it was in the attic. Im not worried about the hole in the wall as much as I am about the labor cost of having to run copper pipes across the house to get the compressor in the back yard.

Comment

Working...
                              X