cost efficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost efficiency?

Stopped by Cabelas today and found they sell bullets, primers and powder. My question is what os cheaper: buying cheap ammo (not too cheap, WWB at minimum) and shooting those to get my brass to relaod, or to just buy brass outright? Keep it on track please? Don't need this one turning into an HK pissing match like my last thread.

depends what caliber and how many you want to reload; usually cheaper to buy the ammo and reload that brass unless it is a scarce, high $$$$ caliber, like .458 Socom......

Comment

Originally posted by bronco71 View Post
      depends what caliber and how many you want to reload; usually cheaper to buy the ammo and reload that brass unless it is a scarce, high $$$$ caliber, like .458 Socom......
      Cool, I'll skip the bagged brass in that case. Its more fun to shoot it and then reload anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
        Stopped by Cabelas today and found they sell bullets, primers and powder. My question is what os cheaper: buying cheap ammo (not too cheap, WWB at minimum) and shooting those to get my brass to relaod, or to just buy brass outright? Keep it on track please? Don't need this one turning into an HK pissing match like my last thread.
        Depends on the caliber of the gun you have.

223, 7.62x39, and other small cal's are probably not really worth reloading for most people.

I find reloading that I get to tune my bullets to each gun.

I'm a avid reloader for rifles, I probably should reload more for pistols, but I've been lazy with them.

Comment

I can give you whatever you need to get you started. What brass do you need.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

CJ made and/or others made a nice little FAQ that talks about some of this stuff - it's a sticky.

Generally speaking, unless you're buying steel cased ammo it seems (to me) to be cheaper to reload all day long. I will reload and here is why...

1. The knowledge
            2. The cost
            3. The goal to me would be to have the same projectile being fired all the time. Right now my gun safe has whatever .223/5.56 I could find cheap. Steel cased, Remington, etc...etc Being able to fire the same round over and over again is a big plus to me. Especially one that is supposed to work best with your barrel.

To me, reloading is going to be more then JUST cost. I figure if I'm all wrong - the locals will clarify. However, that my perception of it.

Either way, CJ's little FAQ will outline the costs a little for ya.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              To me, reloading is going to be more then JUST cost. I figure if I'm all wrong - the locals will clarify. However, that my perception of it.
              True, reloading will allow you to work up a more accurate round for your particular rifle at a lower cost than factory ammo in addition to the fun and feeling of self-accomplishment of making your own.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                I can give you whatever you need to get you started. What brass do you need.
                Well as I stated in my last thread my g/f's dad has a Dillon 550B press so I'll be using that. Im going to order all of the dies for that to fit .308 Win and .40 S&W. Im purchasing a .223 AR shortly but he already has all the dies to reload that. All I really need is brass. Im going to the gun show this weekend to see if I can get any deals on powder and primers too.

Comment

Well as I stated in my last thread my g/f's dad has a Dillon 550B press so I'll be using that. Im going to order all of the dies for that to fit .308 Win and .40 S&W. Im purchasing a .223 AR shortly but he already has all the dies to reload that. All I really need is brass. Im going to the gun show this weekend to see if I can get any deals on powder and primers too.
                  ill give you 500 .40 cases, will that get you goin?
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

ill give you 500 .40 cases, will that get you goin?
                    Hell yes it will! Looks like ill be stocking up on primer and bullets this weekend! Thanks

Comment

Hell yes it will! Looks like ill be stocking up on primer and bullets this weekend! Thanks
                      I only load 7.62x51 so I don't have any .308 commercial.

Comment

I only load 7.62x51 so I don't have any .308 commercial.
                        No biggie! 500 of .40 should keep me plenty busy. I don't go through .308 enough yet to reload as much. Will probably end up using .223 more. I already unknowingly have a decent supply of .308 brass (for only owning a .308 bolt action).

Comment

Working...
                        X