the rum diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the rum diary

Fuck yes, another hunter s thompson movie in the works.

Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp) is an itinerant journalist who tires of New York and America under the Eisenhower administration and travels to Puerto Rico to write for The San Juan Star. Kemp begins the habit of drinking rum and becomes obsessed with the woman Chenault (Amber Heard).[2]
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Didn't think you were able to read past a 3rd grade reading level.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
      Lol!
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
        I didn't think you'd be able to get Big Ben's nuts out of your mouth.
        I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
        If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.

Comment

Thought this film was long since finished and still awaiting release? I've been keeping tabs on it for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Thought this film was long since finished and still awaiting release? I've been keeping tabs on it for over a year.
            I dunno. I heard it was planned on being produced years ago and just never kept up with it. The book didn't do much for me, so the movie doesn't really interest me much either.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Hunter S. Thompson wrote the novel The Rum Diary in 1959, but the novel was not published until 1998.[4] The independent production companies Shooting Gallery and SPi Films sought to adapt the novel into a film in 2000, and actor Johnny Depp was signed to star and to serve as executive producer. Nick Nolte was also signed to star alongside Depp.[5] The project did not move past the development stage.[4] During this stage, Hunter S. Thompson became so frustrated as to fire off an obscenity-laden letter calling the process a "waterhead fuckaround".[6]
              In 2002, a new producer sought the project, and Benicio del Toro and Josh Hartnett were signed to star in the film adaptation.[5] The second incarnation also did not move past the development stage.[4] In 2007, producer Graham King acquired all rights to the novel and sought to film the adaptation under Warner Independent Pictures.[5] Depp, who previously starred in the 1998 film adaptation of Thompson's novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, was cast as the freelance journalist Paul Kemp.[4] Amber Heard is reported to have won the role out over Scarlett Johansson and Keira Knightley. Bruce Robinson joined to write the screenplay and to direct The Rum Diary.[5] In 2009, Depp's production company Infinitum Nihil took on the project with the financial backing of King and his production company GK Films. Principal photography began in Puerto Rico on March*25, 2009.[2] Composer Christopher Young has signed on to compose the film's soundtrack.[7]
              The alcoholic Robinson had been sober for six-and-a-half years before he started writing the screenplay for The Rum Diary.[8] The filmmaker found himself suffering from writer's block. He started drinking again, a bottle of alcohol a day until he finished the script and then he quit drinking again. He spent a year filming in Puerto Rico, Mexico and Hollywood and resisted drinking until they arrived in Fajardo. Robinson remembers, "It was 100 degrees at two in the morning and very humid. Everyone's drenched in sweat. One of the prop guys goes by with a barrow-load of ice and Coronas. I said: 'Johnny, this doesn't mean anything.' And reached for a Corona." ... Some savage drinking took place. When I was no longer in Johnny's environment I went back to sobriety."[8]

Comment

Working...
              X