No announcement yet.

"DIY" brick/stone flower bed border....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "DIY" brick/stone flower bed border....

...isn't near as easy as it looks if you want it done right....

I started to tackle this project and quickly realized that if you want it to look "professional" than you'd better hire someone that has done it before.

Fortunately they are still building homes in my subdivision and I had fun asking around for someone that spoke English. He was able to source the same stone and brick and give me a pretty nice deal. It sounded expensive at first until I see what all has to be done. There are a few people around me that have taken the leftover brick and just placed it around. I hope the finished product looks as nice as I think it will.

Here's a "during" picture I felt like sharing... I can't get a "before" pic as my wife has them on her computer but will do a before/after once they get the brick that matches the house on top. You can see to the right of the guys doing it there was no border at all prior to what they've done. It's taller in front to keep it level as my yard has a decent slant to it.... Hopefully it's not too tall. Opinions? I think once the grass grows a bit more and I get some filler in and around the trees it'll look better.

Lesson learned - if you want it done professionally, then a hack like me shouldn't do it.

Looks pretty good, once the rock is cleaned up it'll look even better. BTW, it's time for some fertilizer.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Looks good- its always nice to have a good edge to trim against. Be careful on the trees to not bring the soil up too high past original grade.

Comment

Yea that looks nice...

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Looks pretty good, once the rock is cleaned up it'll look even better. BTW, it's time for some fertilizer.
          Look how bad the neighbor's yard is outperforming his. Border looks good

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post
            Look how bad the neighbor's yard is outperforming his. Border looks good
            LOL, I had just mowed the yard the day prior and the next door neighbor had a leaking sprinkler system in that area and he hasn't mowed it in two weeks.

<-- fertilizes...

Comment

Need to get you some high nitrogen fertilizer down.

Rock Border looks good. I just completed mine at my house, but I don't like the way it came out. This will be the third time I rip it up and do it again. Mine aren't cased in concrete though, no mortar, etc.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I'm about to do mine in my backyard but I am going to lay Pavestone block I think.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  I'm about to do mine in my backyard but I am going to lay Pavestone block I think.
                  I did that on the last house and at $2/brick plus my labor, I think it was around ~$350-ish...

This was just a tad bit more and well worth it IMO. Just got into a newer development that is bricking houses and ask a Latino who speaks English...

Comment

I was gonna make a thread asking about this. Home Depot is right by my house and i found a few bricks i like for two dollars a brick..
                    (planning on just stacking them 2 bricks high.....something simple)

can anyone point me to a website that would help me out ? or any other stores that arent home depot / lowes that sell them cheaper?

Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                    Your opinion is what sucks.
                    You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Originally posted by unkoricky View Post
                      I was gonna make a thread asking about this. Home Depot is right by my house and i found a few bricks i like for two dollars a brick..
                      (planning on just stacking them 2 bricks high.....something simple)

can anyone point me to a website that would help me out ? or any other stores that arent home depot / lowes that sell them cheaper?

I don't think you will find a better price than Lowe's or HD.... unless you are buying several hundred with a contractor or able to get the same discount...

Comment

There is a board member that lives in Sherman, that works for a rock place. I remember seeing some of his pricing on the old board, and it was under HD/Lowe's. However, to justify the gas to Sherman you'd need to be buying a lot.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          There is a board member that lives in Sherman, that works for a rock place. I remember seeing some of his pricing on the old board, and it was under HD/Lowe's. However, to justify the gas to Sherman you'd need to be buying a lot.
                          yeah i'll just stick to HD, its about a 3 minute drive.
                          Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                          Your opinion is what sucks.
                          You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Brent, it's Matt - he posts as NTxVstar or something liek that.

we usually rock COD at night, i'll tell him abt this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                              I did that on the last house and at $2/brick plus my labor, I think it was around ~$350-ish...

This was just a tad bit more and well worth it IMO. Just got into a newer development that is bricking houses and ask a Latino who speaks English...
                              I can't put anything around my flowerbeds that uses mortar, as tree roots are an issue. I'll have to redo them slightly every year I am sure.
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X