New Reloading Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Reloading Setup

So is this a pretty good setup for a start?

D-Terminator Electronic Scale
    Stock #: 10483

Digital Caliper
    Stock #: 17171

Dillon Aluminum Bullet Tray-for Square Deal, RL550 & XL650

Dillon Carbide Pistol Dies (Three-Die Sets)
    Stock #: dpd3ds

Die Type: .45 ACP/GAP
    Option Stock #: 14404

Dillon Handgun Case Gages
    Stock #: dhcg

Dillon Handgun Case Gages: .45 ACP Case Gage
    Option Stock #: 15166

Dillon Kinetic Bullet Puller
    Stock #: 17999

Dillon Primer Flip Tray
    Stock #: 13606

Dillon Strong Mounts XL650-only
    Stock #: 22052

Dillon's XL 650 Toolholders XL 650 w/Wrench Set
    Stock #: 11555

Dillon's CV-750 Vibratory Case Cleaner
    Stock #: 19455

Dillon's Instructional DVDs for Reloading Machines
    Stock #: dillondvds

Rapid Polish 290 (8 oz. Bottle)
    Stock #: 13804

Speer Reloading Manual, Rifle & Pistol 14th edition
    Stock #: 12580

Walnut Hull Polishing Media
    Stock #: 13287

XL 650
    Stock #: Dillon XL 650

Caliber Type: .45 ACP
    Option Stock #: 16926

XL 650 Spare Parts Kit
    Stock #: 21146
    2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
    2011 Harley Davidson F150
    2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

CJ???
    Thought about the 550 but the 650 looked better. Expensive start but over the long haul I should save on 45acp for sure....

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
      CJ???
      Thought about the 550 but the 650 looked better. Expensive start but over the long haul I should save on 45acp for sure....
      If you're doing high volume the 650 is the way to go for sure. You don't really need a case gauge for pistol straight wall cases. I don't see a powder die in there, does it come with one?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        If you're doing high volume the 650 is the way to go for sure. You don't really need a case gauge for pistol straight wall cases. I don't see a powder die in there, does it come with one?
        I think the powder die is included. So will the 650 be harder to use for low production or just overkill?

Also where do you buy primers, powder. And bullets? I suspect I will also buy my starting brass since I have been shooting non-reloadable stuff.

Comment

The 650 will only give you a true advantage if you get the case feed as well. If you want to save a little coin get rid of the digital scale and get a balance beam type scale, order a tumbler from midway, pick up your media from petsmart or petco ( i like to use a mix of corn cob and walnut) and scrap the video.

Add some primer pick up tubes as well. I think the basic loader only comes with a single tube for large and small primers. The powder die will come with the coversion kit with the shell plate and locator buttons. If you need help setting it up shoot me a pm as well.

As far as powder I've always had good look with Winchester 231/ WST for 45acp/ 40 and 9mm.

If you are local to DFW look @ www.precisionbullets.com. They make a great product. Or you can look into montana gold bullet/ Zero bullet (shooters connection) or look for some plated or cast stuff as well.

Powder valley has the best prices on primers I've seen lately, but I'm sure someone might have a better source out there.
          It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by jtm98snake View Post
            The 650 will only give you a true advantage if you get the case feed as well. If you want to save a little coin get rid of the digital scale and get a balance beam type scale, order a tumbler from midway, pick up your media from petsmart or petco ( i like to use a mix of corn cob and walnut) and scrap the video.

Add some primer pick up tubes as well. I think the basic loader only comes with a single tube for large and small primers. The powder die will come with the coversion kit with the shell plate and locator buttons. If you need help setting it up shoot me a pm as well.

As far as powder I've always had good look with Winchester 231/ WST for 45acp/ 40 and 9mm.

If you are local to DFW look @ www.precisionbullets.com. They make a great product. Or you can look into montana gold bullet/ Zero bullet (shooters connection) or look for some plated or cast stuff as well.

Powder valley has the best prices on primers I've seen lately, but I'm sure someone might have a better source out there.

Do the 650 conversion kits come with a powder die? I didn't think they did.

edit: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...Conversion_Kit

I don't see one?

I personally couldn't ever find decent media at any petstore... what grain are you getting and what are you paying for it? I'm getting 41 grain fine walnut from harbor freight $20 for 20lbs.
            Last edited by CJ; 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              Do the 650 conversion kits come with a powder die? I didn't think they did.

edit: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...Conversion_Kit

I don't see one?

I personally couldn't ever find decent media at any petstore... what grain are you getting and what are you paying for it? I'm getting 41 grain fine walnut from harbor freight $20 for 20lbs.
              I looked at the Dillion website and it appears that the reloader itself includes one powder die.

So CJ, do you buy the inputs to reloading somewhere local? Like Bass Pro or Cabellas? As I understand it, it is better to buy powder and primers retail because shipping is expensive for hazardous materials.

What would you get at a pet store? Like the shredded wood bedding they sell for the hamster cages?

Comment

I looked at the Dillion website and it appears that the reloader itself includes one powder die.

So CJ, do you buy the inputs to reloading somewhere local? Like Bass Pro or Cabellas? As I understand it, it is better to buy powder and primers retail because shipping is expensive for hazardous materials.

What would you get at a pet store? Like the shredded wood bedding they sell for the hamster cages?
                I get my media from harbor freight, in the sand blaster section. You can also buy it in 55 gallon drums and 50lb bags from drilling suppliers.

Buying online for powder and primers is not a bad idea if you buy a shitload to overcome to $25 hazmat. Many times places run specials with free hazmat if you order quite a bit. I ordered the Swiss Precision IMR-4198 powder from wideners in 8lb handles and that was a good deal - great for plinking .223 - I'm about out of it, and next time I plan on ordering 16lbs so if anyone is interested... I'm down. Sometimes Cabela's sells CCI small rifle primers for $20.00/1000 which is an excellent deal, they seem to do it often, at least once every 2-3 months. Alpine Shooting Range also sells primers for $20-25/1000 - both are great deals. As for powder, I try to pick it up from local sellers on craigslist and texasguntrader. Old powder is just as good as new powder, and there always seems to be a surplus. I've managed to stockpile around 30lbs of various pistol powders, so I'm set for a damn long time, and I really didn't spend much of anything to get them, just buy in large lots.

The best places for projectiles and powder are:

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ - they are usually on par with Wideners, however they do smaller quantities for better prices.
                http://www.wideners.com/ - generally one of the best for larger quantities and oddball cheap off-brand powders and projectiles.
                http://www.hi-techammo.com/ - the very best place for surplus projectiles and powder, period. Great place for .50BMG projectiles and powder.

The key for cost benefit analysis is quantity, quantity, quantity. One of the hopes I had for this subforum was to get some interest started in reloading so we could purchase in higher quantities frequently and benefit from it.

Comment

Where do you get your startup brass? I have been shooting non-reloadable ammo so I cannot just save my brass, at least not to start.

Thanks,
                  Mike

Comment

Where do you get your startup brass? I have been shooting non-reloadable ammo so I cannot just save my brass, at least not to start.

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    Go to a range and pick it up from other people shooting. You'll get enough eventually.

Comment

How much 45 do you need? I've got quite a bit, and it's already cleaned and bagged up. I haven't started reloading 45 yet, just 9mm. Oh and btw, I love my 650. I think the case tube just makes you want the case feeder that much more. It's like a tease because you get to just pump 20 or so rounds out but then you have to stop and re fill the case tube.
                      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                      There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Sub'd.

I need to buy reloading equipment. I just counted my empties today and have 466 .45 and 590 .223 that are ready to be cleaned and reloaded. They're just sitting in a box right now.

Comment

Working...
                        X