255/40/17 on Rear of 1966 Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 255/40/17 on Rear of 1966 Mustang

I couldn't resist the deal. Nearly brand new Riken Raptor 255/40/17 for $100 total.

I've had a pair of Riken (Michelin) 245/45/17's on the rear of my Mustang ever since a guy on here screwed me on a wheel deal. I figured I would try to at least match brands.

I am running 17x8 bullitts from an 04' and have the Vintage Venom wheel adapting kit. Im more worried about trying to run a 245/45 on the front than the rears accommodating 255's. The lips have been rolled and I hammered out the fender wells a little back when I stupidly try to run 275/40's

Any insight on problems? Am I going to notice a visual difference in 40's vs. 45's. I wish I could get 255/45's on the rear, but they just don't make them.

Oh and Canada sucks.
    Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 11-18-2010, 04:09 PM.

Sounds like to me you got a heck of a deal on some Rubber. Post some pics with the rubber on the car if you dont mind.

I'm Always into old Classic Iron

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
      I couldn't resist the deal. Nearly brand new Riken Raptor 255/40/17 for $100 total.

I've had a pair of Riken (Michelin) 245/45/17's on the rear of my Mustang ever since a guy on here screwed me on a wheel deal. I figured I would try to at least match brands.

I am running 17x8 bullitts from an 04' and have the Vintage Venom wheel adapting kit. Im more worried about trying to run a 245/45 on the front than the rears accommodating 255's. The lips have been rolled and I hammered out the fender wells a little back when I stupidly try to run 275/40's

Any insight on problems? Am I going to notice a visual difference in 40's vs. 45's. I wish I could get 255/45's on the rear, but they just don't make them.

Oh and Canada sucks.
      how did the brakes work out for you?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
        how did the brakes work out for you?
        yeah, I'm curious as to how that Vintage Venom stuff works. is it truly a bolt on kit?
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
          yeah, I'm curious as to how that Vintage Venom stuff works. is it truly a bolt on kit?
          Mine bolted up, no issue at all.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that kit designed specifically to run Ford wheels on the classics?
            --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Look at it this way - as far as overall height of the tire, the rears will be 0.32" shorter. So the wheel gap will be 0.16" bigger and the ride height will be 0.16" lower than if you had 245/45's out back. Not very noticeable. 0.16" is less than 3/16".
              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that kit designed specifically to run Ford wheels on the classics?
                Yeah, the spacer is built in to set it up for new style 17's

Comment

I run 255/40/17 on the front of my 68 and 255/45/17 on the rear. It works great.

Comment

That's going to be tight. Since you've got the tires, you'll just need to bolt them up and see how it fits. If you need to borrow a spare bullitt wheel let me know.
                    I have seen 255 on early mustangs, but I don't recall what wheel or offset they were using. I know you can trim a little off the inner wheel well lip, but I think your problem is going to be the outer fender.

Comment

Working...
                    X