Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barefoot, fore foot, Vibram clad runners...how long to transition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barefoot, fore foot, Vibram clad runners...how long to transition?

I've never been much of a runner, but I want to get into it. Most I've ever run on purpose was 4 miles 20+yrs ago in high school! (Holly CRAP!!! Was it really that long ago??!!) Lately I've been doing A mile now and again with no real structure or goal. Most of my fitness is done in the gym with weights and I just started taking a wed spin class. My co-worker just finished a half-marathon and is going to drop some weight and start gearing up for another one starting in Sept to be run in Dec. I'm thinking this is something I'd like to aim for.

Doing some research on running long term and running inuries, I came across the 5finger Vibrams and liked what people were saying about them. My bro-in-law has a pair, but not a runner. I picked up a pair of Bikilas and I am flat out diggin em!!! Running has NEVER been this much fun for me! Hell, just walking and driving my car is like an all new experience! So I picked up a pair of Komodo Sports for wearing in the gym, at home, around...I'm hooked!

I've studied the correct form and from how good it feels, I think I have it down. I've run maybe a 1/4 mile once around the neighborhood and ran/walked about 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday. My feet feel good, knees are great, hips, lower back, etc...all good! My calves?...calves are killing me!

I've read you have to ease into barefoot style running, but does anyone have any sort of a program geared towards aclimating the heal toe runniner to fore foot striking? I don't want to over do it and end up injuring my feet, achilies or calf muscle...

Thanks, ya'll!

-Jonny
    2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
    '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
    '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

WARNING - this response is non value added.

I hate five fingers. Shoe companies have spent billions to refine their shoes for proper ergonomics. Running in toe socks dipped in plastic will hopefully fade as fast as Ed hardy.

Comment

I apprecaite the disclaimer! LOL!
      '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        WARNING - this response is non value added.

I hate five fingers. Shoe companies have spent billions to refine their shoes for proper ergonomics. Running in toe socks dipped in plastic will hopefully fade as fast as Ed hardy.
        Pfffttt, I diagree, you're looking at it the wrong way.

The shape of our feet have evolved over millions of years. They are like they are for a reason. Our feet are shaped to have proper ergonomics, not running shoes. You think throwing money at something is more effective than natural selection?

I have two pair of five fingers and absolutely love them. I cannot run in anything else anymore, doesn't feel right. I took between 2-3 weeks to adjust. With your toes "active" and not crammed into a shoe, you're involving tiny muscles and tendons that you normally would not, which is why you're sore. You've probably made slight adjustments to your stride too, without even realizing it. I find my FF force perfect running form... you're gonna feel it if you run on your heels or sides of your feet.

Comment

With all that said, they are ugly as hell, and I feel nerdy wearing them. But damn they're effective, and they eliminated my shin splits which have plagued me all my life.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
            With all that said, they are ugly as hell, and I feel nerdy wearing them. But damn they're effective, and they eliminated my shin splits which have plagued me all my life.
            That's what sold me on them! I blew out my ACL playing indoor soccer, and up until 2yrs ago, running just hurt. I finally healed enough, but I think, because of the injury, I've always been a mid foot striker. When I started seeing guys who routinely ean long distances posting on running forums, articles in runner's world, etc all singing the praises of barefoot style running, I figured I'd give it a shot.

It does feel more natural to me!

You are right though...some of them are kinda ugly! I like the kangaroo leather ones, but not the sole for walking around or in the gym. A leather top Komodo would be perfect!

Thanks for the replies!
            '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
              Pfffttt, I diagree, you're looking at it the wrong way.

The shape of our feet have evolved over millions of years. They are like they are for a reason. Our feet are shaped to have proper ergonomics, not running shoes. You think throwing money at something is more effective than natural selection?

I have two pair of five fingers and absolutely love them. I cannot run in anything else anymore, doesn't feel right. I took between 2-3 weeks to adjust. With your toes "active" and not crammed into a shoe, you're involving tiny muscles and tendons that you normally would not, which is why you're sore. You've probably made slight adjustments to your stride too, without even realizing it. I find my FF force perfect running form... you're gonna feel it if you run on your heels or sides of your feet.
              you're right that you disagree, you're wrong in that I'm looking at it the wrong way. It's strictly an opinion, which is specific to me...meaning I'm looking at it my way, which is the only correct way to give my opinion.

People have been wearing shoes for thousands of years for a reason. I don't want to work muscles I will only use when training in 5 fingers. I know for a fact FFs dont force perfect running by the retards at the gym I can hear slamming their feet on the treadmill from 200yds away. And you're an idiot if you think stuff we have designed do not improve ergonimics. By that logic, you would never use a brace of any sort, chair with a proper back, or anything that involves ergonomic research for that matter. No one's body is the same, so to say barefoot running is optimum is flat out wrong. Why do you think they don't do it in the olympics?

I understand they have a specific training purpose, and it sounds like Jonny00GT actually uses them for that purpose. But he's in a very small group of people. The people that I unfairly judge, and will admit to judging.

The other 99% are the fad chasing douchebags, and the dumbasses wearing them to lift weights in. That way you can ergonomically break your toe. There's a damn good reason every pair I see looks brand new. Either they just joined the fad, or they don't get used enough to get dirty.

Comment

I'd like to at least try them out but I'm not going to pay what they want for something that may completely suck.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

You'll help your transition by doing some excercises to strengthen your ankle area. Walking on your toes and heels before a run, jump roping, heel step downs etc.

Comment

Opinions are like ass holes and you better be willing to sniff a few if you want to share yours!

I believe there are 2 types:

Clean: Your opinion is based on study and experience and you've tried all sides before you open your mouth. These rarely smell much and the owners are usually fair minded, well informed and able to objectively discuss both pros and cons of all sides.

Shitty: Your opinion is directly converse to anything other than what you believe and you're not interested in what anyone else has to say.

Here is my ass hole...judge for yourself!

Heal to toe running has an inherent amount of "impact" equating to +/- 3 times your body weight shooting up your leg via your heal. This style also, as a general rule, has a lot more of up and down wasted motion. You can see this on as much slow motion footage as you can stomach on Youtube or other site easily found via google. This is the reason for the thick heal section of the sole on the traditional running shoe. This is also why they say you should replace them with some frequency because the crushing of the heal pad will cause it to loose it's elasticity and ability to cushion the shock. While a good sole will reduce the amount of shock transferred through your heal, up your shin, through your knee and into your hips, it does not go away all together.
                    One remedy still retaining the conventional style shoe, is a thinner heal sole and a change to the running style to a mid foot strike which trades off some of the pounding force for rotational force and instead of a single point of contact, the heal, spreads out the hit over the whole foot.
                    Forefoot running either barefoot, in a minimal shoe, 5fingers or sandles is the most effective of the style, if done correctly, in changing the downward motion into rotational force, some of which is stored in the foot arch and calf and released back into the pushing off motion that follows. This technique is usually more level with less up and down bob as well.

The shoe, is just a tool and only as good as the technique applied.

This is my take on things and why I chose the Vibrams. So far, they have not disappointed!

-Jonny
                    '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

I've actually studied this topic from every angle imaginable for about a year now.

One of the most interesting research papers I found, written by a doctor, was specific to how running shoes were designed and first marketed. The key running injuries at the time was calf strains and achilles tendon tearing. In an effort to reduce them, they designed soft shoes with big cushy heels. This created new problems by changing running stride to more of a heel strike.

This created the knee, hip and shin splint problems we have now.

From my own experience, I agree that less is more when it comes to running shoes. I prefer the least amount of shoe that works for you personally. I have vibrams. I absolutely hate the toe pockets. Right now I have a pair of ultra light Addi Zeros that are pretty flat but have a bit of modern shoe tech in them. I also have a pair of trail running shoes that are more like vibrams without the silly toe pockets and have real laces too. I like them both.

I will never ever buy another mainstream running shoe ever again. They give me shin splints from hell by turning me into a heel striker.

Personally and especially in my case, not putting load on my large calves and achilles tendon would be stupid. I'd rather load them then my knee, hip, or tibial muscles.

And before anyone goes off on supination and pronation, I just want to state these are bullshit terms that "professionals" have made up like "halitosis." I know you can find lots of doctors to tell you different, but they are seriously bullshit terms. They didn't appear at all until very recently. They are created by a shoe industry trying to fix things that are perfectly natural.

And before you cry about this revelation, please realize I'm not selling you shoes and custom fit orthotics that you sure as hell do not need.

And before anyone starts off on the tangent of what the fastest pro athletes wear, I'm just going to leave you with one thought on that subject, $$$.

I hate vibrams and Asics both for the record. I personally don't like either but for very different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                        I prefer the least amount of shoe that works for you personally.
                        I agree. I'm 6'2" and 230lb and for me that is the Nike Lunarglide 2. I have spent a lot of $$ on shoes over the last 3 years since I started running (after a 10 year break), and I have tried barefoot to Saucony Beast. For me, the LG series works for about 250-300 miles, then they go to casual shoes... then to lawn shoes

Comment

Originally posted by kenny c View Post
                          I agree. I'm 6'2" and 230lb and for me that is the Nike Lunarglide 2. I have spent a lot of $$ on shoes over the last 3 years since I started running (after a 10 year break), and I have tried barefoot to Saucony Beast. For me, the LG series works for about 250-300 miles, then they go to casual shoes... then to lawn shoes
                          Lunarglides ftw!!! Those are my choice of runnin shoe.

And I agree with the rest of you guys, my opinion has no true substance. Just bitching about shoes that irritate me. We all know that whatever works for you won't work for the next guy. That's why I had a disclaimer in the first post

Comment

I've made a slow transition starting with Nike run avants - Nike free- vibrams. I haven't worn them much but ever since I started waking up the muscles in my feet and legs that were neglected by wearing "cast" on my feet. I haven't had any more problems with plantar facsitis or Achilles tendonitis. I was close to having surgery as an option. And that's at 260# able to jog 5 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              Lunarglides ftw!!! Those are my choice of runnin shoe.

And I agree with the rest of you guys, my opinion has no true substance. Just bitching about shoes that irritate me. We all know that whatever works for you won't work for the next guy. That's why I had a disclaimer in the first post
                              Lunarglides are a good choice, they look like an upgraded run avant (same sole) they are cushioned and let your foot have natural movement.

Comment

Working...
                              X