Weight loss question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss question.

Learn me about net calories. To lose weight, do you have to burn more than you consume? or do you just need to burn a good amount? Right now I am burning 700cal a day on a treadmill and trying to keep my total calorie intake to about 2k. Is this a good recipe?
    2012 GT500

More than you consume.

Edit: and you gotta provide more details for us to know if it's good. What do you do all day?

Comment

I've dropped 20.5lbs in the past 60days with my diet. I've also gained muscle strength and definition. I keep my net calories around 1300 and exercise 3-5 days a week. I lose 2-3lbs /week. I just recently stopped watching my calories so carefully. I'm very close to my ultimate weight goal so i'm not as concerned about losing a lot of weight each week.

Your height, weight, and activity level will determine how many calories you can consume each day to reach your goals. I use livestrong.org as a calorie and weight tracker.
      IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        More than you consume.

Edit: and you gotta provide more details for us to know if it's good. What do you do all day?
        I'm 6'2 205. Im in school all day, but play tennis 3 hours a day, and do cardio 45 min a day.
        2012 GT500

Comment

Burn more than you consume. Also remember that your body naturally burns calories just by existing. See Basal Metabolic Rate.

Comment

So my bmr is 1800. So I'm eating 2000 a day meaning that if I burn 200cal a day then I have a net of zero?
            2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
              So my bmr is 1800. So I'm eating 2000 a day meaning that if I burn 200cal a day then I have a net of zero?
              yes

Comment

The calculator on livestrong.com will calculate your BMR and also factors in your general daily activity level. Be it, sedentary, light, moderate, or very active. It's been very accurate in my use.

Livestrong.com offers diet, nutrition and fitness tips for a healthier lifestyle. Achieve your health goals with Livestrong.com's practical food and fitness tools, expert resources and an engaged community.
                IMG_0424

Comment

Been working with a personal trainer for the past week and talked to him briefly about diet. Eat small meals, 5-6 times a day. Get your carbs as early as possible. Breakfast, lunch, and later in the day focus on getting lean proteins and fiber. That's all I got. Also, you play tennis and do cardio...why no lifting? Muscles burn calories. Probably even more calories than banging your girlfriend in the backseat of your car.
                  "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                    Been working with a personal trainer for the past week and talked to him briefly about diet. Eat small meals, 5-6 times a day. Get your carbs as early as possible. Breakfast, lunch, and later in the day focus on getting lean proteins and fiber. That's all I got. Also, you play tennis and do cardio...why no lifting? Muscles burn calories. Probably even more calories than banging your girlfriend in the backseat of your car.
                    Haha. I'm just not a huge fan of lifting. Mostly because I'm weak as hell. I bench about 180 and squat about 230.

I was referred to an app on iphone called " diet tracker by spark people" it creates a weight loss plan based on goal/age/weight/height/diet. According to it my BMR is 2300, I should eat 1500-1850 calories a day, and I'll lose weight @
                    2lbs/week with 740 cal burned weekly. I plan to eat within it's plan and maintain my 700cal burning cardio everyday as well as include some lifting three/four times a week. That puts me at

+ 1850cal consumed
                    - 2300 BMR
                    - 700cal burned
                    ---------------------
                    -1,150 net calories

Feedback?
                    Last edited by Cobraman; 04-03-2011, 04:13 PM.
                    2012 GT500

Comment

I think you're overestimating the number of calories you're burning a day (err...the software is rather). But you have the correct approach.

Comment

Working...
                      X