Tiling a second floor room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiling a second floor room?

I think there was a thread started on this on the old site; but here goes. We are wanting to tear up the carpet in our kids rooms to help eliminate allergy/asthma triggers that tend to hide in the carpet. So one of my options is to tile both there rooms. How much extra weight will that add to each room and should the structure support said added weight easily? What is the full process? IE. what needs to be put down between the sub floor and tile?

john bridge forums.

Lot of research to do on this. You need to know what the floor joists consist of IE. spacing, material, etc.

You then need to enter all of that into a calculator they have on the site. It will tell you what will work as far as material and what won't. If the numbers don't come back right tile might not be an option without beefing up the joist system, or adding a good big up 3/4" plywood. You need to figure on adding at least on layer of ply, then kerdi, then the thickness of the tile. Should put the total thickness around 1.5" with thinset.

I'd personally just put bamboo or some other tough laminate or wood up there. Easier to install, and a lot cheaper.

Comment

Working...
    X