Plasma tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma tv

Ok guys i just bought a new house and wanted a new tv... Ok i have a LCD now and happy with it but plasma picture to me looks better... Now I'm looking for about a 55 inch. It with be in the living room... I know the difference between 720 and 1080. But what does the MHz actually do for a tv... I'm
    Not wanting to spend a fortune.. LCD seems to be alittle more than the plasma. What do you guys think and could help me out with...

I bought my TV about a year and a half ago and I ended up going plasma. IMO the picture is just better than LCD. If it were me I would go with plasma or step up to LED. LED seems to be the best of both worlds but a 55" LED is going to be $$$$. Costco had a 60" LG Plasma for $1299. That is what I would buy. As for the mhz... I believe it has to do with the refresh rate. I was looking at two tv's side by side (at costco) and the only difference was the refresh rate and about $200. I couldn't tell much difference at all and my wife said she thought the one with the lower refresh rate looked better.

My 50" cheap Samsung plasma looks damn good on HD cable and redonkulous with Bluray. I'm just waiting for a decently priced 70" to come out!

Comment

The hz have to do with the refresh rate. The faster, the better. I personally love plasma, true blacks, great contrast, and no motion blur.

Comment

I have 3 plasma's in the house 50", 42", & 32" all Vizio. They are all 720 but the picture quality has been great I've had no complaints.

Comment

Rite now i have a 42 LCD.. The only thing i worried about I'n the plasma I's burning the image I'n the screen and was told the burn up faster any input on this

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad? View Post
            Rite now i have a 42 LCD.. The only thing i worried about I'n the plasma I's burning the image I'n the screen and was told the burn up faster any input on this
            I've had all mine for about 2+ yrs now with no issues

Comment

Since nobody else mentioned it, where this tv is going is going to dictate what you buy. All plasmas have a glossy screen, despite their best attempts to develop and market 'anti-glare' screens. If this tv is going in a room with a lot of light, you're better off going LCD. You WILL get glare on a plasma if there is so much as a moderate amount of light coming in. There is just no way around the glare you will get with a plasma. Dark room with no or minimal windows, plasma will be ok.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Since nobody else mentioned it, where this tv is going is going to dictate what you buy. All plasmas have a glossy screen, despite their best attempts to develop and market 'anti-glare' screens. If this tv is going in a room with a lot of light, you're better off going LCD. You WILL get glare on a plasma if there is so much as a moderate amount of light coming in. There is just no way around the glare you will get with a plasma. Dark room with no or minimal windows, plasma will be ok.
                Curtains > Preventable light dictating what you buy
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                  Curtains > Preventable light dictating what you buy

Sure. But some people like natural light coming in their house. Some people even prefer that to paying for electricity to light up their house. Crazy concept, I know. And an even crazier one, is that some people like to keep the a/c off and windows open 6ish months out of the year so they don't have to run heat or a/c. Close those curtains, and it defeats the purpose.

<---Not a fan of buying a TV that can only be watched when the curtains are closed.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    Sure. But some people like natural light coming in their house. Some people even prefer that to paying for electricity to light up their house. Crazy concept, I know. And an even crazier one, is that some people like to keep the a/c off and windows open 6ish months out of the year so they don't have to run heat or a/c. Close those curtains, and it defeats the purpose.

<---Not a fan of buying a TV that can only be watched when the curtains are closed.
                    What about from the sides?
                    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Do a forum search for "plasma" - there have been several threads with alot of info on the pros and cons of plasma and other tv types in the last few months...

Comment

I have a 58" Panasonic viera plasma in the game room.720 about 6 years old and I love it no problems. It has a better picture than the lcd I have in the bedroom.

Comment

For years I too was part of the plasma camp. I have a 65" Panny in my living room and a 50" Panny in my gameroom. I never thought LCD could catch up but they have now with the newest LED units.

I am not sure what else was improved when they went to LED backlighting but it is substantial. A Bluray or even regular DVD looks even better now, more sharpness. crisper and smoother than previous. When I first saw it I was reminded of the first HD feeds I saw. I bought an LG 47 LCD/LED for the bedroom and Blurays are smooth and look like live broadcasts, like a live news feed.
                          Last edited by miketyler; 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM.
                          Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

I thought LED was the "NEW" shit now. I have a few friends that have them and the picture is pretty awesome.

Comment

Im not a Tv guru or anything but I just cant imagine anything having a better picture than the TV I have right now. Samsung LED 55in 240hz 1080p. My friend has a samsung 50in 1080p 60 hz and they are not even in the same catagory as far as picture quality goes.

The higher the refresh rate, the better the picture will be on high speed things, like sports, racing , etc...
                              Vortex rear stand $75
                              8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                              My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                              but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                              11 4 door
                              13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X