300 whisper info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 whisper info

If you're one of those looking to build a 300w or similar here is a link to a very informative forum

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... one is by the sword... the other is by debt." John Adams 1826

Originally posted by Homemade View Post
    If you're one of those looking to build a 300w or similar here is a link to a very informative forum

http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/fo...er=desc&page=2
    Yeah 300w is killer. For some reason SSK always recommends .221 fireball brass to be used, but that defeats the purpose in my mind, why the hell would you want to go out and buy a specialty brass to swage into specialty brass? From what I've been told the .300 fireball (and the .300 whisper - same damn thing essentially) can be formed from .223 cases. If I can't form cases from cheap brass it's pointless.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
      Yeah 300w is killer. For some reason SSK always recommends .221 fireball brass to be used, but that defeats the purpose in my mind, why the hell would you want to go out and buy a specialty brass to swage into specialty brass? From what I've been told the .300 fireball (and the .300 whisper - same damn thing essentially) can be formed from .223 cases. If I can't form cases from cheap brass it's pointless.
      forming from .221 Fireball is not worth it in my opinion, besides the higher cost you have to anneal the case neck and open it up to .30 cal in 2 stages and they still crack easily; I make mine from .223/5.56 and the first step of cutting the case down may take a little longer but they last a lot longer too and are cheaper. It is easy to do with a case trimmer and a reamer, I use a little hobby cutoff saw to make the rough cut.....

Comment

Originally posted by bronco71 View Post
        forming from .221 Fireball is not worth it in my opinion, besides the higher cost you have to anneal the case neck and open it up to .30 cal in 2 stages and they still crack easily; I make mine from .223/5.56 and the first step of cutting the case down may take a little longer but they last a lot longer too and are cheaper. It is easy to do with a case trimmer and a reamer, I use a little hobby cutoff saw to make the rough cut.....
        So what the hell is the reason SSK recommends it?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

So what the hell is the reason SSK recommends it?
          I have no idea, they are the only ones I have heard of pushing it. Sometimes there is a problem of the case neck being too thick and having to be trimmed with the .223 but I haven't run into that yet.....

Comment

I have no idea, they are the only ones I have heard of pushing it. Sometimes there is a problem of the case neck being too thick and having to be trimmed with the .223 but I haven't run into that yet.....
            So, does the resizing die essentially form the neck satisfactory, or do you need multiple stages?

Comment

So, does the resizing die essentially form the neck satisfactory, or do you need multiple stages?
              One stage when using .223 brass.... but use wax and not lube!!

Comment

I expect one of you to have this down pat by the time I get home in September this year. I am going to want to have 2-3 months off either working on my Cobra, my guns or burning up your ammo!
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

One stage when using .223 brass.... but use wax and not lube!!
                  So just trim the shoulder off, imperial wax them, and then toss them in a tool head and I can use them in my progressive... that sounds great.

Comment

So just trim the shoulder off, imperial wax them, and then toss them in a tool head and I can use them in my progressive... that sounds great.
                    Yea, initially I rough cut them with the little chop saw and trim to length with case trimmer to true them up, then clean up the cut with a hand reamer inside and out. Once that initial load is done they are just like any other bottleneck reload.

A little more time is needed setting up the load according to the bullet used; the .30 cals are pretty long and have to be seated deep to run in an AR and to clear the lands, on my initial load the bullet pulled out of the case cuz it wasn't seated deep enough when I tried cycling it...what a mess of powder

Comment

Yea, initially I rough cut them with the little chop saw and trim to length with case trimmer to true them up, then clean up the cut with a hand reamer inside and out. Once that initial load is done they are just like any other bottleneck reload.

A little more time is needed setting up the load according to the bullet used; the .30 cals are pretty long and have to be seated deep to run in an AR and to clear the lands, on my initial load the bullet pulled out of the case cuz it wasn't seated deep enough when I tried cycling it...what a mess of powder
                      I'm going to guess that they don't grow much given the slight neck, or at least, not as much as .223?

Comment

I'm going to guess that they don't grow much given the slight neck, or at least, not as much as .223?
                        I actually haven't shot them enough yet to know....

Comment

Sounds like trashy brass that I would normally pitch because of fte damage, or etc. Might get another life. :-)
                          "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... one is by the sword... the other is by debt." John Adams 1826

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade View Post
                            Sounds like trashy brass that I would normally pitch because of fte damage, or etc. Might get another life. :-)
                            ?? This is what you have to do to make .300 fireball brass...

Comment

I am not the expert yet. But I believe the .223 brass has to be cut down a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X