Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carpenters: What type of wod do you recommend....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpenters: What type of wod do you recommend....

What type of wood is recommended for converting carpeted stairs to hardwood stairs? Also what is the typical cost of the wood? The stairs are 44" wide and like 9" deep. 13 Stairs and a 4'x8' landing. How difficult of an undertaking is this project? I have seen numerous how to's on google images and docs etc. But from a carpenters view what is the difficulty level?

I'm currently having a company put in 3/4" x 3/1/8 wide red oak hardwood on my stairs, foyer and gameroom upstairs. This will start on Monday. I would not recommend putting 3/8 pre-engineered hardwood on the stairs, as it will not hold up over time. If you go with 3/4" you nail it down, if you do choose to use 3/8"s then glue and nail. Putting the would down on the stairs isnt that hard as long as you have a good table saw and hand jig saw to make sharp angles. Put blue painter tape on the cut areas prior to sawing so when you make your cuts, it doesnt splitter the edges, giving you a clean cut. Also you have to determine what you will do with the risers, 4" plank and paint or stain.... I can send you pics once mine gets done, due to my lower back problems I had to contract it out. ( .... Let me know your project goes!
    sigpic
    Kevin Jones
    The Colony, Texas

Comment

I meant I want planks of wood like real wooden stairs not a hard wood like laminate flooring or anything. One solid chunk of wood per stair

Comment

Your stairs are framed in standard 2x? pine and then covered in hardwood. You dont see the framing lumber, but it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
          Your stairs are framed in standard 2x? pine and then covered in hardwood. You dont see the framing lumber, but it's there.
          Currently covered in carpet

Comment

I wouldnt use anything else besides red oak. Red oak is going to last the longest and look the best. Im not too sure how much each tread is but you can call wilsons plywood and door in garland at 972-494-9545 and they can tell you the exact price. I know it isnt going to be cheap though. Then with the landing your going to have to get 3/4'' red oak cause i know the treads are 3/4 and you dont want want to be tripping and falling down the stairs cause you were to cheap to do it the right way. You dont have much to do on the landing but thats the easy part. Each tread has to be level and each riser has to be plumb. What about the handrail? or is the handrail on the walls? The treads and risers are not super easy but if you have to put a handrail up thats where it gets tricky. Can you post a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by Snodgrass View Post
              I wouldnt use anything else besides red oak. Red oak is going to last the longest and look the best. Im not too sure how much each tread is but you can call wilsons plywood and door in garland at 972-494-9545 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************972-494-9545******end_of_the_skype_highlighting and they can tell you the exact price. I know it isnt going to be cheap though. Then with the landing your going to have to get 3/4'' red oak cause i know the treads are 3/4 and you dont want want to be tripping and falling down the stairs cause you were to cheap to do it the right way. You dont have much to do on the landing but thats the easy part. Each tread has to be level and each riser has to be plumb. What about the handrail? or is the handrail on the walls? The treads and risers are not super easy but if you have to put a handrail up thats where it gets tricky. Can you post a pic?

Walls on both sides of stairs. Hand rail on one side on the wall.

Comment

Use a hardwood, red oak will get you a stronger grain profile if that is what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                X