Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor BBQ Islands.... Anybody built one??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor BBQ Islands.... Anybody built one??

I am thinking of building my own outdoor BBQ island. I really don't want anything too fancy, just a built in grill and fridge. I have been looking around and these things are pricey. I found a company online that sells modular frame kits for a decent price, and all you have to do is finish it out with whatever siding and top you want.

Has anyone here built one or know anybody that has? I am looking for advice or recommendations on what worked or what you would have done differently.

Here is the link for the company who sells the kits....

BBQ Coach is the #1 DIY outdoor kitchen frame kit system in America. We have real steel with telescoping tubes for no cutting. Our kits have connectors and are very easy for homeowners to assemble. Our products allow you to build a heavy duty steel frame without welding.

i have built a few for my friends/ clients...
    the expensive part is the finish out of them... building a nice structure is cheap and ez...
    if you need i can get quartz counters and stuff cheap
    first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
      the expensive part is the finish out of them... building a nice structure is cheap and ez...
      Yep. The stone, granite/quartz, etc is what kills you. And of course, the plumbing if you don't do it yourself. You're going to regret it if you dont add a sink. You need plenty of prep room, and storage is always useful. If I can ever finish up some of my projects, I'll have a complete outdoor kitchen. 36" griddle, 17" fryer, sink, dishwasher, grill, etc. Barstools with a leave to dine from on one side, cook line on the other, in a U shape.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

What did you build the framing out of? Wood or metal? I may take you up on the quartz when I get ready for it.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        Yep. The stone, granite/quartz, etc is what kills you. And of course, the plumbing if you don't do it yourself. You're going to regret it if you dont add a sink. You need plenty of prep room, and storage is always useful. If I can ever finish up some of my projects, I'll have a complete outdoor kitchen. 36" griddle, 17" fryer, sink, dishwasher, grill, etc. Barstools with a leave to dine from on one side, cook line on the other, in a U shape.

I am actually building this for my mom, so it will be pretty simple. She had a pool put in a couple years ago, and I think it would look nice in her back yard. There is not a lot of room to build a big, fancy outdoor kitchen between the pool and all of her outdoor furniture, and she doesn't want to take away anymore of her yard. She will only be using the grill for hot dogs/burgers and the fridge. I will probably use it more than her actually.

I am in the process of fixing up a house that was willed to me, and when I move in there, I will be building a full outdoor kitchen exactly like you mentioned. Until I get to that point, I just want to build something small and functional, but nice looking for her to use.

Comment

Originally posted by billybob81 View Post
          What did you build the framing out of? Wood or metal? I may take you up on the quartz when I get ready for it.

I am actually building this for my mom, so it will be pretty simple. She had a pool put in a couple years ago, and I think it would look nice in her back yard. There is not a lot of room to build a big, fancy outdoor kitchen between the pool and all of her outdoor furniture, and she doesn't want to take away anymore of her yard. She will only be using the grill for hot dogs/burgers and the fridge. I will probably use it more than her actually.

I am in the process of fixing up a house that was willed to me, and when I move in there, I will be building a full outdoor kitchen exactly like you mentioned. Until I get to that point, I just want to build something small and functional, but nice looking for her to use.

Go take a look on the other board, and search 'outdoor kitchen'. Jordon (can't remember his screen name) built one at his house, and posted a thread in the home improvement forum with pictures. I'm fairly certain he used wood studs, closed it in with sheetrock, then tiled the walls/counters with a natural stone of some sort. I don't think he spent a fortune, and IIRC, it was fairly simple.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            Go take a look on the other board, and search 'outdoor kitchen'. Jordon (can't remember his screen name) built one at his house, and posted a thread in the home improvement forum with pictures. I'm fairly certain he used wood studs, closed it in with sheetrock, then tiled the walls/counters with a natural stone of some sort. I don't think he spent a fortune, and IIRC, it was fairly simple.
            Will do, If I am not banned over there!

I am just concerned with building it out of 2x4's and sheetrock vs. metal studs and cement board. I don't want it to be warped in a few years. I will try to log in over there and check it out.

Comment

This is exactly what I am wanting to build for her. They sell the modular frame for $407/shipped, and then I would just have to finish it out. Thinking of doing a stucco on the sides and granite tile on top.

Comment

Will do, If I am not banned over there!

I am just concerned with building it out of 2x4's and sheetrock vs. metal studs and cement board. I don't want it to be warped in a few years. I will try to log in over there and check it out.
                metal studs are the way to go.. and no sheetrock... densglass is for exterior
                first class white trash

Comment

This is exactly what I am wanting to build for her. They sell the modular frame for $407/shipped, and then I would just have to finish it out. Thinking of doing a stucco on the sides and granite tile on top.

http://store.outdoorkitchensupplies....ghtisland.aspx

I'd think you'd get by way cheaper than $407 for the modular frame by building it yourself. And pardon me. He used durock/cement board, not sheetrock. He did use wood studs though, I'm almost positive.

Comment

if you need the frame built, i'll do it for ya... shouldn't take more than 4 hours and handle of jim beam....
                    first class white trash

Comment

if you need the frame built, i'll do it for ya... shouldn't take more than 4 hours and handle of jim beam....
                      If you are serious, I will definitely take you up on that offer.

Comment

If you're still worried about the granite and stone, I can offer vertical work that we carve and make it look like anything you want.

Comment

I built one. I wanted it to roll and started with heavy aluminum angle and built the chassis first and then mounted heavy duty casters. From there I used steel 2x4's to build the frame. I used wonderboard to panel it, then applied wire, then stucco. Finished it with ceramic tile but later had granite remnants and had those fabricated as countertops on either sife of the grille. Trimmed it in natural stone dental tile strips. I under estimated the finished weight. The thing is HEAVY as hell.

I went with a Dynasty grille with dual cast burners and rotisserie. The grille will probably be the most expensive component in the project. I have a counter height glass-front fridge I plan to incorporate into it or in our kitchen when we remodel.
                          Last edited by miketyler; 04-09-2011, 04:03 PM.
                          Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Also, if I had it to do again and planned to tile it, I would let the tile layout dictate size and build to that so I didn't have any cut tiles. And be sure to put vent grills in if you plan to keep propane tanks inside it. Dont want any gases building up in there you know.

I know I have some pics around here somewhere......
                            Last edited by miketyler; 04-09-2011, 05:12 PM.
                            Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
                              Also, if I had it to do again and planned to tile it, I would let the tile layout dictate size and build to that so I didn't have any cut tiles. I know I have some pics around here somewhere......
                              If you find the pics, post them. I am definitely planning on getting this done before summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X