chain spit off - master link wrong ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain spit off - master link wrong ?

so riding down 190 the other night and I felt a small piece of metal hit my left leg.
    thought it was some odd debris I ran over , but it was probably the masterlink clip

cause about ten seconds after that the chain spit out , made a sound down by the tranny that wasn't really loud, but otherwise not nearly as nasty as I thought a chain coming loose would be.
    I just clutched it and pulled over on the left thinking it was my tranny or something shit on me internal.

sprocket teeth seem all good. It broke the front plastic sprocket cover in pieces and part of the case / transmission cast aluminum that mounts that cover.
    It's not leaking though or anything , so I guess a new chain will fix it up. There just wouldn't be a cover then.
    I have no chain guard so I'm just glad my leg wasn't fucked up since I was just wearing shorts.

I was talking to my friend about the mechanical circumstances on how this could happen :
    chain is pretty new - maybe ten hours max on it
    it was definitely set on chain slack correctly cause I just put back on my 14 tooth front sprocket on and adjusted it perfectly accurate. Checked it a couple times , sitting on it and not - about 1" exactly (done this a million times though seriously).

waxed it, etc.

so he was saying that you can get the masterlink installed BACKWARDS.
    I'm fairly sure the side plate was pressed on well , and the clip on - i work on a lot of shit, so I don't make obvious mistakes.
    However he said you can get it backwards and pointed to his on a dirt bike, pointing out that the clip faces (if masterlink on top side of chain) so that the open end of the clip is towards rear sprocket , closed end front.

Is this the right way?
    does anyone think that is the most likely thing that happened?
    after all I felt the damn clip hit my leg!
    he made it sound like you can install them backwards and not know for awhile, then 'EVENTUALLY' it will spit it out....

same thing happened to me a few months ago crusing about 90 on business 287. clip style master link failed.

i know this because i recovered the chain and that's where it was broke.

open end faces towards rear sprocket. mine was installed correctly, so with that being said i had the chain riveted and will always from now on.

Comment

In/on chain boxes/packages it says not to use a clip style masterlink on street bikes. I did ~10 years ago. Once I broke a clip in half and the only thing keeping it in place/the chain together was the dab of silicone I put on the clip. No telling how long I had been riding around with it like this. Had one or two clip masters fail and spit the chain off. Been riveting them ever since without issue.
      US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

I had one come off before too, broke my water pump. Sucked

Comment

maybe im stupid, whats the rivet ones ?
          I imagine you need a tool to mushroom the head of the pin ?
          buy that style master link seperate?

Comment

You dont have to have the tool, but it makes it alot easier.
            Ive always taken a punch with a piece of metal behind it and just flattened out the head on the rivet myself. Never had an issue doing it that way, just takes a little longer.

Comment

a good chain riveting/breaker tool would be nice to have if you go through a lot of chains.

i just take it to the local shop for now and give the guy 20 bucks to rivet it for me.

in theory, a correctly installed clip style master link should be fine because there is no side pressure on the chain, but shit happens.

they make clips with no open end and you can also safety wire them in place, but rivet ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                I had one come off before too, broke my water pump. Sucked
                gsxr lawl - I've seen that happen since the SRAD era. Nice to see they continue to stick with the same flawed design, lulz.

Comment

You dont have to have the tool, but it makes it alot easier.
                  Ive always taken a punch with a piece of metal behind it and just flattened out the head on the rivet myself. Never had an issue doing it that way, just takes a little longer.
                  This is what I've been doing for around 10yrs now as well. Usually use a hammer handle or something to support the backside of the sprocket while I'm mushrooming the head of the post out with a punch. It's a 2 man job, but quick and easy.

Comment

Yep and doesn't cost 100 bucks for the tool!

Comment

Yep and doesn't cost 100 bucks for the tool!
                      The motion pro chain tool is basically the same as the harbor freight tool, but has more accessories.

HF - $15, MP - $100. The accessories make it a bit easier to use, but unless you do it all the time I wouldn't buy the MP. The accessories would also work on the HF tool, wonder if you can just buy the press plate and main pin from motion pro as "replacements" Hmmmm....

Comment

can you point out the HF tool? definitely sounds easier than no tool
                        i just find this all so hard to believe when I ran a normal masterlink with clip for 5 years without problems, then this one flys off in no time.

Comment

could of been just a worn out clip. were you upshifting by chance?

Comment

Working...
                          X