Pavers over exposed aggregate patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavers over exposed aggregate patio

I'm going to put pavers over my 144 sf (12'X12') patio. It is one of those shitty exposed aggregate setups that sucks ass to walk on with bare feet. I am going to use Pavestone pavers because I like the look. I don't care as much about the cost as I do the appearance.

Does anyone know of a place locally that sells Pavestone at a discount from Home Depot? I am looking at about $650 in pavers.

Also, I plan on using mortar to attach the outside edge of pavers, laying sand over the exposed aggregate in the middle, dropping in the pavers in the middle and then using more sand to fill the gaps. Any thoughts on this method? The other option is to throw mud down on the whole damn porch.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

You want a solid surface under pavers. You may need to scrape the aggregate gravel up and applie road base then compact. There is not a need to mortar the edges down. Just use edge stripes.

You will need to rent a compactor for your base and again for your pavers to push the sand in after you sweep it.

I have spent a lot of time reading and planning my patio but have decided for the amount of prep to just hire someone to do it. Then again we will have closer to a 25x25.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
      You want a solid surface under pavers. You may need to scrape the aggregate gravel up and applie road base then compact. There is not a need to mortar the edges down. Just use edge stripes.

You will need to rent a compactor for your base and again for your pavers to push the sand in after you sweep it.

I have spent a lot of time reading and planning my patio but have decided for the amount of prep to just hire someone to do it. Then again we will have closer to a 25x25.
      This is a concrete exposed aggregate patio. It is a 4" slab with the pebbles exposed on the top side. I should have added that in there.
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

x2

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          This is a concrete exposed aggregate patio. It is a 4" slab with the pebbles exposed on the top side. I should have added that in there.
          Gotcha now.

You should be okay with a base layer of screeded sand, lay pavers, push broom sand in then moisten and compact.

And you will probably have to mortar in the soldier course (edge)

Comment

Gotcha now.

You should be okay with a base layer of screeded sand, lay pavers, push broom sand in then moisten and compact.

And you will probably have to mortar in the soldier course (edge)
            That is what I was thinking, mortar the edges and make them line up with the edges of the slab. Then start throwing down sand and pack it in there as best I can, just enough to fill in the gaps around all the little pebbles and give a layer on top. Then put in the pavers. Then run a compactor over it. Probably need to avoid the edges with the compactor once the mortar is set up.

I'm going to give it a shot I reckon.

Comment

You may have to start with a 3/4" sand base which will compact down quiet a bit when the pavers go down and them the compactor runs over them. You are going to have to get that down just right or your edge will stick up higher than the center.

I would build a box the size of a paver fill it with 3/4" of sand set a paver down and mash it down real good then see how much it settled.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think you can buy from Pavestone directly. They have a plant in Grapevine near the Dodge dealership.

If not, look on home depots website for their movers coupon. You can get 10% off

Comment

I think the above method of sand and then pavers would work but I would use cement treated sand (CTS) then compact with a vibratory plate to give you a smooth, level, sturdy base.

Comment

Is the current patio low enough that with the pavers on it it won't be too tall for the doorway?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      Is the current patio low enough that with the pavers on it it won't be too tall for the doorway?
                      Yes, plenty of room there. Could probably stack two pavers and still have a drop off.

Comment

I'm going to put pavers over my 144 sf (12'X12') patio. It is one of those shitty exposed aggregate setups that sucks ass to walk on with bare feet. I am going to use Pavestone pavers because I like the look. I don't care as much about the cost as I do the appearance.

Does anyone know of a place locally that sells Pavestone at a discount from Home Depot? I am looking at about $650 in pavers.

Also, I plan on using mortar to attach the outside edge of pavers, laying sand over the exposed aggregate in the middle, dropping in the pavers in the middle and then using more sand to fill the gaps. Any thoughts on this method? The other option is to throw mud down on the whole damn porch.
                        if you're not stuck on pavers, you might think about slate tile...i put slate tile over my patio, and it looks great. i have a tile guy that will install it for cheap as well...and home depot has 12x12 multicolored slate for $1.25/sq ft.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
                          if you're not stuck on pavers, you might think about slate tile...i put slate tile over my patio, and it looks great. i have a tile guy that will install it for cheap as well...and home depot has 12x12 multicolored slate for $1.25/sq ft.
                          I'm not much on slate but I may hit up your tile guy for some work soon. I need some stuff done.

Comment

I'm not much on slate but I may hit up your tile guy for some work soon. I need some stuff done.
                            i can't say enough good things about this guy...he does excellent work, extremely well priced, and he's very trustworthy. i've had him do quite a bit of work for me, family, friends, etc...and everyone recommends him to others. he's really good about coming up with suggestions on stuff that will look good and match your decor as well.

here's his info:

john green
                            214-890-2366

Comment

Working...
                            X