Need a handyman who can recaulk/reseal windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a handyman who can recaulk/reseal windows

Can anyone recommend a good handyman who can re-caulk and re-seal windows? I noticed that a few of my window sills were warped from the rain. I had a guy come out and simply patch up any areas that looked like they might be leaking but it has been a few years and it looks like they are leaking once again. My wife found a guy that came out and explained that you didn't want to remove the old caulk because "the more material the better". Hmmm, EVERY single article or post I found online stated the most important step to getting a good seal is to remove all of the old material. So, I need someone who will do a good job correctly.

Any recommendations?

Originally posted by TorchRedStang View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good handyman who can re-caulk and re-seal windows? I noticed that a few of my window sills were warped from the rain. I had a guy come out and simply patch up any areas that looked like they might be leaking but it has been a few years and it looks like they are leaking once again. My wife found a guy that came out and explained that you didn't want to remove the old caulk because "the more material the better". Hmmm, EVERY single article or post I found online stated the most important step to getting a good seal is to remove all of the old material. So, I need someone who will do a good job correctly.

Any recommendations?
    i got a guy you can call.... always remove all the old stuff...
    first class white trash

Comment

Man its easy as pie. It just has to be nice and clean.

Take all the old shit off and clean the surface well. Tape it off and lay down the bead.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
        i got a guy you can call.... always remove all the old stuff...
        PM me his info please. I am in Lake Dallas just north of Lewisville. I understand it's not a very difficult job but if I can get a good quote I would rather just pay someone who will make sure it is done right.

Comment

Are you against doing it yourself or is it a time thing?

I may have a friend of the family that does building/remodeling and is detailed oriented. He sometimes needs work in between jobs. How many windows and how many stories?

Take care,
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

TTT... any other recomendations? I have made appointments with three contracters/handymen and they were all no call no shows...

As far as doing it myself, I got up on a ladder, scraped off the old crap on one of the windows and put up some fresh caulk... freaking window leaks worse now than before I "fixed" it.

Comment

Originally posted by torchredstang View Post
              ttt... Any other recomendations? I have made appointments with three contracters/handymen and they were all no call no shows...

As far as doing it myself, i got up on a ladder, scraped off the old crap on one of the windows and put up some fresh caulk... freaking window leaks worse now than before i "fixed" it.

rofl

Comment

Originally posted by TorchRedStang View Post
                TTT... any other recomendations? I have made appointments with three contracters/handymen and they were all no call no shows...

As far as doing it myself, I got up on a ladder, scraped off the old crap on one of the windows and put up some fresh caulk... freaking window leaks worse now than before I "fixed" it.

LMAO

That's it... Turn in your man card....

Comment

After you ran the new bead of caulk, did you wet your finger and "smooth" it out? Take a few paper towels and a cup of water up the ladder and do it all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post

LMAO

That's it... Turn in your man card....
                    Hey, I have done all kinds of stuff around the house and have recaulked the bathroom a few times. I honestly don't see how it is still leaking which is why I need to bring in an expert. If you want my man card you are going to have to get it out of my wifes purse.....

Comment

Are you using caulk or window glaze.

They make a tool for the glaze. I just tape and use a puddy blade and run the glaze. It's the same as caulk and to smooth needs moisture

Comment

Take pictures of the leaky window - inside and outside.

Is the water noticeable only on the bottom or do you see water running down the window? That sounds pretty bad to me either way. Just like to see if we can help patch that up til you/we find someone. This should be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          Take pictures of the leaky window - inside and outside.

Is the water noticeable only on the bottom or do you see water running down the window? That sounds pretty bad to me either way. Just like to see if we can help patch that up til you/we find someone. This should be easy.
                          I had someone come out and fix all my windows yesterday. It was a husband and wife that were very nice and did a great job so if anyone needs a good handyman for anything shoot me a pm. Still suprised how many appointments I had to set up before someone finally came out. We'll see how well they did next time it rains!

Comment

Why wait for the rain, get to old garden hose out!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                              Why wait for the rain, get to old garden hose out!
                              I had a leaky roof at one point, hose never was enough. Took a solid rain with the wind blowing just the right way before we could find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X