Couch Potato to 5k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couch Potato to 5k

Has anyone used this? I'm seriously out of shape, and I'm thinking about springing for the $2.99 app so I can put that portion of my workout plan on easy mode. It times it all off my iphone, so I can play my workout music, and it tells me when to jog, and when to walk. Thoughts?
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

I had a friend do it a few years ago and he highly recommended it to me... I think he was pushing 300lbs and is now down to 220. He's now a running junkie and "laughs at marathons", as he's shooting for a 50mi run that is coming up.

Looking at him you'd never think he was a runner, has dropped almost a third of his body weight alone.

<-- gets too bored running.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
      Has anyone used this? I'm seriously out of shape, and I'm thinking about springing for the $2.99 app so I can put that portion of my workout plan on easy mode. It times it all off my iphone, so I can play my workout music, and it tells me when to jog, and when to walk. Thoughts?
      I found apps do nothing that you can't do with a stop watch on your wrist. However, if it'll help actually DO IT, I'd say 3 dollars is worth every penny.

There are certain things I have to have in order to do my workouts and without them I don't do it. (for me it's my music player with decent head phones) So I know how it is...however, I try to do my runs with as little on me as possible. Even a 5K can wear parts out if there is extra weight.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Also, you going to be running outside or on treadmills and such. Just as a suggestion - if you're really overweight I recommend starting on the elliptical and treadmills for a couple of weeks. That helped me get my muscles in gear a little. IMHO, when ya run outside you push it harder and I probably would've hurt myself going from nothing to running outside.

Comment

I'm 5' 11", 255lbs of flab. I could easily stand to lose 80lbs. I was planning on doing this on a paved rails-to-trails path in the area. It's pretty new and flat. Also, I realize the plan is free online, and I can time it myself. I just have typically hated every second of cardio in the past, so I want to make it as easy as possible on myself. I'm going to download it, and take weekly progress pics to keep myself motivated. Thanks for the advice, Ceyko.

Comment

Yeah, hit me up if you want suggestions on fat boy running. I've done it twice now, going from large to running and losing weight. I have some core suggestions that work. It's still all a mind game and once you're able to make your mind up it'll happen. Some of those suggestions will be in your app. You running with an iphone?

First thing would be to turn off all phone calls, emails and txts. If you're like me, any distractions ruins concentration and then it's all downhill from a performance stand point. (that's also why I run with a tiny lightweight music player too)

Take care,

Comment

Get the nike+ gps app. It's only 1.99, and has several built in trainers so you aren't limited to 5k. It's a great tool and has all kinds of running metrics.

Comment

The Ct5K program works great, there are literally thousands of people online you can find who have had success starting out with it. It's also highly adaptable depending on how quickly you progress or get bored, since it's a pretty linear progression.
                I'm 5' 11", 255lbs of flab. I could easily stand to lose 80lbs. I was planning on doing this on a paved rails-to-trails path in the area. It's pretty new and flat. Also, I realize the plan is free online, and I can time it myself. I just have typically hated every second of cardio in the past, so I want to make it as easy as possible on myself. I'm going to download it, and take weekly progress pics to keep myself motivated. Thanks for the advice, Ceyko.
                If you get bored with running flat land, take advantage of all those badass trails up there. Even if you have to walk up/down the steeper grades, you'll still be burning a ton of calories, and the scenery may help avoid boredom. Plus hill work doubles as strength work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Get the nike+ gps app. It's only 1.99, and has several built in trainers so you aren't limited to 5k. It's a great tool and has all kinds of running metrics.
                  Thanks man! I'll check that out.

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  The Ct5K program works great, there are literally thousands of people online you can find who have had success starting out with it. It's also highly adaptable depending on how quickly you progress or get bored, since it's a pretty linear progression.
                  If you get bored with running flat land, take advantage of all those badass trails up there. Even if you have to walk up/down the steeper grades, you'll still be burning a ton of calories, and the scenery may help avoid boredom. Plus hill work doubles as strength work.
                  Yeah, there's a trailhead to the AT 10 minutes from my house, and Pine Grove Furnace State Park (the unofficial midway point) is less than half an hour from my house. I have no excuses.

Comment

Np, let me know if you get it...you can add friends and challenge people and all that stuff.

Comment

You've already figured it out. It is free online. However it is nice to have a little voice tell you when to run, walk and cooldown etc. It makes it all rather brainless, and you can just enjoy your surroundings. It will also keep you from pushing to hard too soon and getting hurt.

I know a lot of people that have done this program and have encouraged a few of them myself.

I started with it a little over a year ago.

I ran a 10K this past weekend with no issues. My fastest mile was actually mile 6. I could've gone much faster but don't ever want to get injured.

So far this past 13 months I've lost 40 pounds. I lose most of them running, biking 2nd and swimming 3rd. Swimming is for people that are already in shape and looking to maintain. It is crap for weight loss in my opinion. Your heart rate and breathing will never get high enough swimming and be maintained unless you are a great swimmer.

Running and biking you can go slow enough to maintain a long steady workout no matter where you are starting from.

My advice would be to get C25K, and get a bike too. You cannot run everyday without risking injury. Use your non run days to rest or pedal your bike around leisurely. It is called active recovery. I did 30 minutes of active recovery yesterday from the 10K this weekend. I had no gas, so I just pedaled nice and slow. It is great for knees, ankles, hips and leg muscles.

Comment

Great tips AnthonyS IMO. This is why I like reading this stuff, not necessarily right or wrong - just new ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                          You've already figured it out. It is free online. However it is nice to have a little voice tell you when to run, walk and cooldown etc. It makes it all rather brainless, and you can just enjoy your surroundings. It will also keep you from pushing to hard too soon and getting hurt.

I know a lot of people that have done this program and have encouraged a few of them myself.

I started with it a little over a year ago.

I ran a 10K this past weekend with no issues. My fastest mile was actually mile 6. I could've gone much faster but don't ever want to get injured.

So far this past 13 months I've lost 40 pounds. I lose most of them running, biking 2nd and swimming 3rd. Swimming is for people that are already in shape and looking to maintain. It is crap for weight loss in my opinion. Your heart rate and breathing will never get high enough swimming and be maintained unless you are a great swimmer.

Running and biking you can go slow enough to maintain a long steady workout no matter where you are starting from.

My advice would be to get C25K, and get a bike too. You cannot run everyday without risking injury. Use your non run days to rest or pedal your bike around leisurely. It is called active recovery. I did 30 minutes of active recovery yesterday from the 10K this weekend. I had no gas, so I just pedaled nice and slow. It is great for knees, ankles, hips and leg muscles.
                          Swimming is one of the best exercises period. You use almost every muscle in your body to swim and if done correctly you can maintain a high heart rate. It is also the way better on your joints. I was ballooning up again one time and injured my knee so I started swimming again. I dropped 40 lbs in no time flat over the course of a month. I will say though that I was on the swim team 4 years in high school so you are right about technique making a difference. If I still had a pool I would incorperate swimming as my main way to work out and it would knock cycling to second followed by running.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            Swimming is one of the best exercises period. You use almost every muscle in your body to swim and if done correctly you can maintain a high heart rate. It is also the way better on your joints. I was ballooning up again one time and injured my knee so I started swimming again. I dropped 40 lbs in no time flat over the course of a month. I will say though that I was on the swim team 4 years in high school so you are right about technique making a difference. If I still had a pool I would incorperate swimming as my main way to work out and it would knock cycling to second followed by running.
                            you lost 40lbs in a month?

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                              you lost 40lbs in a month?

god bless.
                              Hell yeah!! Not.

I was trying to remember back and it was a little over a month and I thought I typed 20 pounds in. 40 in a month would be not a good idea if even possible. I had hit 270 or so and got back to 250. I did nothing but swim every other night. My pool was 40 ft long so it was a decent swim at 120 to 200 laps.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X