Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any personal experience with a Polini dirtbike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any personal experience with a Polini dirtbike?

And yes, I've googled. Looking for even more opinons. The limited knowledge I have is that it's an out of the box race bike, more like a Cobra or KTM than say a Kawasaki. Seem to be pretty high price wise. I understand there is a guy in either Waco or Waxahachie for parts. I'm not too terribly comfortable with that, and it being Italian makes me worry a little as well.

Ran across a guy that has 4 of them for sale, and his kid raced for Polini. He said the only non wear part he ever had to replace in all their years of racing and two classes (50cc and 65cc) was an ignition box that sits behind the front number plate. One of the bikes is an 07, and is what I would consider an incredible price for that bike ($1000). For reference, he just had the 2009 65cc listed at $2400.

The Kawasaki is great, but the suspension is the weak link and that's where shit gets real expensive real fast. The Polini has an Ohlins suspension from the factory. Also has other goodies like more power than the Kawi and Excel rims as well. The additional power is just a bonus, the suspension would be my driving factor should I decide to sell the Kawi I just bought and pick up the Polini. TIA
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Never heard of them, but an italian bike sounds like it would be hard to find parts for. I plan on buying a dual sport eventually and really like the Kawasaki KLR650.

But if you are racing then you would have an entirely different set of requirements than I do. Internet should make it easy enough to get parts if that is what you are concerned about.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

They make pretty high quality pockets bikes, but thats all I know.
      Ded

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        But if you are racing then you would have an entirely different set of requirements than I do. Internet should make it easy enough to get parts if that is what you are concerned about.
        To be clear, it's for my son and not me. I'd love for him to race, but this is going to start out as casual track riding and trail riding at first, and if it grows to him wanting to race, then I'll support it.

The way I'm looking at it, is for an extra $350 he can have a full on race bike. It would take at least $1500 or so to get his current KX65 to the same level of suspension and power. The KX will suit his wants/needs just fine for a while. But if he decides he wants to race, I'll have to drop a ton of coin to get it in race form, or sell then and buy something else like a Cobra, Polini, or KTM (for a hell of a lot more than this guy's $1000 asking price).

Comment

For a grand, pick it up and let him decide which one he is more comfortable on. The Kawy or the Polini, and go from there. Sorry I don't have any technicle advice on them, but that is what I would do...

Comment

there is nothing that that polini can do that the kawasaki can't.

keep the green one. skip the polini.

suspension is not a factor at all if you are not racing. getting it sprung for your kid might be a good idea though.

Comment

I wouldn't buy it until he can tell you the difference in the two.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                To be clear, it's for my son and not me. I'd love for him to race, but this is going to start out as casual track riding and trail riding at first, and if it grows to him wanting to race, then I'll support it.

The way I'm looking at it, is for an extra $350 he can have a full on race bike. It would take at least $1500 or so to get his current KX65 to the same level of suspension and power. The KX will suit his wants/needs just fine for a while. But if he decides he wants to race, I'll have to drop a ton of coin to get it in race form, or sell then and buy something else like a Cobra, Polini, or KTM (for a hell of a lot more than this guy's $1000 asking price).
                Well if it's for the son I'd find something alot cheaper; $1,000 is a lot of money for the kid to use it for a month and get bored with it. When I was little my dad found a 125 yamaha for $125 that I rode for years before he sold it. I'd look for something under $500 to start off with to make sure it is into it. But that's just my opinion because I remember how easy it was for me as a kid to loose interest in things. Hell I do that now.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                  Well if it's for the son I'd find something alot cheaper; $1,000 is a lot of money for the kid to use it for a month and get bored with it. When I was little my dad found a 125 yamaha for $125 that I rode for years before he sold it. I'd look for something under $500 to start off with to make sure it is into it. But that's just my opinion because I remember how easy it was for me as a kid to loose interest in things. Hell I do that now.

I bought his bike two weeks or so ago. lmfao @ under $500. Yeah. That's not happening. I paid $650 for an 02 KX65, and that was by far the best deal I found and I searched for quite a while. For reference, my brother just picked his son's up Friday night. 03 KX65, and paid $1200.

I know what you mean on losing interest, I just don't see it happening unless he takes a nasty spill and breaks something. Even then, I still doubt it. We have far too many friends and friends with kids his age that ride. He's been bugging me about one for well over a year, I just finally decided to pull the trigger.

I'm undecided. That price on that bike is hard to pass up. But on the other hand, I've already purchased the one, and I could sell for the same if not more than I paid. But, I've also already started working on it.

Comment

respringing a bike like that is a sinch, and not expensive if done yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                      respringing a bike like that is a sinch, and not expensive if done yourself.
                      All the modifying people to the forks is way beyond my ability. Respringing I'm not so worried about, especially the rear. Springs in the forks can't be too difficult. But it's all the other fork mods they have to do to keep up with the KTMs, that I don't even know where to begin on.

Comment

All the modifying people to the forks is way beyond my ability. Respringing I'm not so worried about, especially the rear. Springs in the forks can't be too difficult. But it's all the other fork mods they have to do to keep up with the KTMs, that I don't even know where to begin on.
                        I hear ya. yes forks are as easy as the rear.

either way, if he's going to race competitively, going to have to pay to play.

Comment

Dude, it's his first bike! Let him get to the point that the bike is holding him back before looking at something else. There are many kids out there racing these bikes with stock valving in the suspension and doing well. Just let him go have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                            Dude, it's his first bike! Let him get to the point that the bike is holding him back before looking at something else.
                            Like I said, the KX will suffice for now. But should he decide to move towards racing, I'm going to have to dump a lot of money in to this one, or spend a lot to get an out of the box race bike. This is a future cost savings as far as I'm concerned. I can spend $350 more now, or a couple thousand more later. If I were to get the Polini, even if he decided not to race, it's still, from what I can tell, a damn nice bike. And again, I'd be able to sell it for more than I pay for it.

There are many kids out there racing these bikes with stock valving in the suspension and doing well. Just let him go have fun.
                            Maybe on a KTM or a Cobra, but not on a KX. Go read around. I can't even count the number of threads by Fathers of kids who race, asking "What do I have to do to this KX to be able to keep up with a KTM?"

Comment

Like I said, the KX will suffice for now. But should he decide to move towards racing, I'm going to have to dump a lot of money in to this one, or spend a lot to get an out of the box race bike. This is a future cost savings as far as I'm concerned. I can spend $350 more now, or a couple thousand more later. If I were to get the Polini, even if he decided not to race, it's still, from what I can tell, a damn nice bike. And again, I'd be able to sell it for more than I pay for it.

Maybe on a KTM or a Cobra, but not on a KX. Go read around. I can't even count the number of threads by Fathers of kids who race, asking "What do I have to do to this KX to be able to keep up with a KTM?"
                              By the time that your son is to the level where the bike is holding him back, he wont be on 65s anymore. At the beginner level, the bike isnt an issue. It's when the kids get more advanced that the KX65 suspension and motor become a problem.

Didnt we tell you in the other thread to just get the KTM now?

Some decent deals here in Houston. If you want my opinion, go with a KTM. Much better overall than the other 65s out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X