Keyless car stolen using radio repeater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless car stolen using radio repeater

they use a repeater to repeat the signal from the keyfob inside the house to the car.

The golden rule of security systems

No security system is absolute.

But I guess they could've put the card (or whatever it was) inside a lead box, or whatever won't receive signal. Then they'd at least have to break inside the house and get the key/card/whatever out of the box.
    WH

Comment

Wow, that is interesting. I've always heard the auto systems are not that secure and reasonably easy to hack.
      1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
      1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
      2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        The golden rule of security systems

No security system is absolute.

But I guess they could've put the card (or whatever it was) inside a lead box, or whatever won't receive signal. Then they'd at least have to break inside the house and get the key/card/whatever out of the box.
        Lead?!?! It's not radio active...aluminum and steel will both work as a faraday shield/cage. Alternatively, faraday bags are also a thing.

Comment

I remember my old f150 got unlocked with what they called a clicker...
          Originally posted by Da Prez
          Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
          Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            Lead?!?! It's not radio active...aluminum and steel will both work as a faraday shield/cage. Alternatively, faraday bags are also a thing.
            fridge/freezer would probably have enough signal attenuation if someone were worried about it.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
              fridge/freezer would probably have enough signal attenuation if someone were worried about it.
              Or here's a novel idea, park in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                garages are incredibly easy to open, especially if you leave the rope attached to the manual latch. and as we both know, tons of people store shit / have shop space in the garage and park in the driveway (like myself).

Comment

an old microwave will do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    Some of us use our garages like real men

Comment

Some of us use our garages like real men
                      I've got a full work bench, storage shelves on both sides, my rolling double-stack tool box, table saw, chop saw, and a fridge in the garage, and still park both vehicles in there. I've refinished kitchen cabinets, wrenched on my car, built a remote control helicopter in there, etc. Do tell, what "man shit" am I missing out on?

I don't disagree that a garage door isn't all that secure, but still more-so than on the street. I don't have stats, but I'd venture a wager that garage-kept cars are stolen significantly less often than those on the street/driveway, and were already targeted to begin with. A thief will follow you to work if they really want it that bad, making the garage a non-issue in those instances.

Comment

2 saws...thats cute! Obviously I'm mostly just giving you a hard time, but some of us seriously have a lot more equipment than that I'm our garages. Between my workbenches, co2 fill station, compressor, cnc, raw materials, hand tools, shelving, routers and router table, kegerator...blah blah blah...theres just no room especially with a few pieces of workout equipment even though they're stored on the ceiling normally. Others have welding setups, lathes, heavy machinery....etc its not as simple as just storing your car in the garage.

And building toys or painting cabinets is not "man shit" for sure lol. But I'll give you "wrenched on a car".

Comment

2 saws...thats cute! Obviously I'm mostly just giving you a hard time, but some of us seriously have a lot more equipment than that I'm our garages. Between my workbenches, co2 fill station, compressor, cnc, raw materials, hand tools, shelving, routers and router table, kegerator...blah blah blah...theres just no room especially with a few pieces of workout equipment even though they're stored on the ceiling normally. Others have welding setups, lathes, heavy machinery....etc its not as simple as just storing your car in the garage.

And building toys or painting cabinets is not "man shit" for sure lol. But I'll give you "wrenched on a car".
                          Real men have a workshop for that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by craizie View Post
                            rich men have a workshop for that shit.
                            ftfy

Comment

Found the DFWM broke dick section leader.

Comment

Working...
                              X