How do I get these bolts out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get these bolts out?

The DS exhaust manifold gasket has failed on my Nova, and while looking at it I realized i don't have any way to get to a couple of these bolts. Is there any specialized tool that will help me here?

Attached Files

those dont look like they have the rounded head on them, get some Allen's that allow you to approach from an angle

edit: looks like they're called "ball end"

Comment

Seems kind of odd to have allen bolts on an exhaust manifold

Comment

You cut the Allen wrench down closer to the 90 and slightly bevel the edges.
        2006 Civic SI
        2009 Pilot
        1988 GT
        CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Hex ball driver set.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
            those dont look like they have the rounded head on them, get some Allen's that allow you to approach from an angle

edit: looks like they're called "ball end"
            Originally posted by garycrist View Post
            Hex ball driver set.
            Awesome, thanks for the tips! Like these, right?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
              Seems kind of odd to have allen bolts on an exhaust manifold
              There are a number of places where they're used on this engine, I've not see that either.. There's also a combination of hack jobs, and good work. lol

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                That kind of thing was my fear, but I figured there must be tools actually designed for that! Haha

Comment

Ball end or stubby allens, or you could just cut down that one to fit

Comment

Go back in with a reduced head diameter 12 point bolt if you want to make your life easier. Even then you might have to dimple that header a little.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                      That's what I would do. Make the short end of the allen wrench shorter. Like maybe 1/2".

Comment

Buy new shorty headers that are ceramic coated and install new grade 8, 12 point bolts with locking washers or plenty of lock tight. Shortys will work very good on N/A cars.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Heat up the header and smack it in a bit with a ball pein hammer to make room for your allen wrench?
                          WRX

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions on modding the allen wrench and / or massaging the headers, but I think I'd rather just spend $15 for the correct tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              Thanks for the suggestions on modding the allen wrench and / or massaging the headers, but I think I'd rather just spend $15 for the correct tools.
                              You're funny. To get full amount of leverage on rusty header bolts a cut down Allen is the correct tool. Ball end hex drivers should be in your toolbox but in your scenario may not give you the full contact inside the Allen head that you may require.
                              2006 Civic SI
                              2009 Pilot
                              1988 GT
                              CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Working...
                              X