DFW Mustangs

DFW Mustangs (http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/index.php)
-   Motorcycle Forum (http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My first bike. (http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69730)

motoman 03-15-2018 02:13 PM

My first bike.
 
After years of putting off learning to ride I finally took the motorcycle safety course and bought a bike. The wife took it with me and picked up a bike of her own. Having never been on a bike, I didn't trust myself starting off on a regular 600cc bike. So we picked up a pair of 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650's. Right now most of my riding is left to the weekends due to my travel schedule with work but I've put almost 800 miles on this in 2 months.

This is the sportiest sport touring I've seen. The day we picked them up.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4773/...68b563d0_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4783/...a6c893f2_b.jpg




Double bubble screen swap.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/818/4...5ba1f851_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/802/3...eec78215_b.jpg



Rear fender delete & plate relocation

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/817/4...bfabc8a3_b.jpg

Cannon88 03-15-2018 02:17 PM

Good looking bikes!

BradM 03-15-2018 02:30 PM

I always assumed you had motorcycles because of your screen name. That's what I het for using my jump to conclusions mat.

BP 03-15-2018 02:46 PM

You could definitely do worse for a first bike, good job. Have you looked into a plate relocation? I guess all sport bikes hang them way out there but it still looks weird to me.

motoman 03-15-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BP (Post 1685959)
You could definitely do worse for a first bike, good job. Have you looked into a plate relocation? I guess all sport bikes hang them way out there but it still looks weird to me.

If you look at the first and second pic and then the third and fifth, you'll see the fender is gone and the plate has been tucked up right underneath the tail.

Shaggin Wagon 03-15-2018 03:08 PM

Who works for Germania, you or the wife? Auto appraisers?

I always assumed the screen name was in referenece of motorcycles too...

bird_dog0347 03-15-2018 03:21 PM

Very nice man, it's cool that you got her's and her's matching bikes! (totally kidding, just couldn't resist)

Baron Von Crowder 03-15-2018 03:23 PM

I mean, it is kinda cool. My wife stopped riding when she got prego, and is just now starting to talk about it again. She wont ride her own, but likes to be on the back. I might pick up an FJR or something in the future.

Craizie 03-15-2018 04:13 PM

Go faster than the traffic around you. Ride in the outside of the lane so cars don't try to pass in your lane. Assume everyone is actively trying to kill you. Watch the back of peoples heads as your about to pass.

Oh, and don't wear headphones.

kingjason 03-15-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craizie (Post 1685968)
Go faster than the traffic around you. Ride in the outside of the lane so cars don't try to pass in your lane. (Assume everyone is actively trying to kill you). Watch the back of peoples heads as your about to pass.

Oh, and don't wear headphones.

This

motoman 03-15-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggin Wagon (Post 1685963)
Who works for Germania, you or the wife? Auto appraisers?

I always assumed the screen name was in referenece of motorcycles too...

My wife works for Germania, she's in property claims. Is that your insurance company or do you work for them?

AnthonyS 03-15-2018 06:18 PM

I'm glad you took the MSF course. If you ever want to see how well quality bike gear will save your ass I still have the gear I was wearing the day I got hit by a drunk. Decide how much your brain and life are worth and budget accordingly.

dsrtuckteezy 03-15-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 (Post 1685964)
Very nice man, it's cool that you got her's and her's matching bikes! (totally kidding, just couldn't resist)

he aint lying!

cool for yall. good luck to you guys riding around dfw.

dsrtuckteezy 03-15-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craizie (Post 1685968)
Go faster than the traffic around you. Ride in the outside of the lane so cars don't try to pass in your lane. Assume everyone is actively trying to kill you. Watch the back of peoples heads as your about to pass.

Oh, and don't wear headphones.

i will add dont just ride through intersections all willy nilly. slow down and see how some dipshit is about to try and kill your ass. number 1 most dangerous areas for motorcyclists.

Craizie 03-15-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy (Post 1685991)
i will add dont just ride through intersections all willy nilly. slow down and see how some dipshit is about to try and kill your ass. number 1 most dangerous areas for motorcyclists.

Another good point. At a stop sign, I make sure they make eye contact with me before I go.

Shaggin Wagon 03-15-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoman (Post 1685973)
My wife works for Germania, she's in property claims. Is that your insurance company or do you work for them?

Bodyshop, they are a good company to deal with in my opinion, have been for years.

fordracing19 03-15-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggin Wagon (Post 1686007)
Bodyshop, they are a good company to deal with in my opinion, have been for years.

Good to hear as I have been talking with them. Farmers really hiked our rates with the 16yo on our policy.

kingjason 03-15-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craizie (Post 1686000)
Another good point. At a stop sign, I make sure they make eye contact with me before I go.

Nope. I watch the wheels of the car. Motherfu#$rs will make straight up eye contact and pull out in front of you.

motoman 03-15-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyS (Post 1685985)
I'm glad you took the MSF course. If you ever want to see how well quality bike gear will save your ass I still have the gear I was wearing the day I got hit by a drunk. Decide how much your brain and life are worth and budget accordingly.

We ride with the AGATT mindset. Being out on the open road, exposed to the elements, gear is the only thing that can save your ass. An experienced rider told me, "bruises, cuts, scrapes, and broken bones heal but brain damage is forever". I couldn't agree more. We tried on a few of the tops brands of helmets and both settled on ARAI's. In addition to that we're both wearing Alpine Star jackets and we're soon to have the upgraded impact pads. It's not worth the risk to not wear the proper gear.

Gasser64 03-16-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craizie (Post 1685968)
Watch the back of peoples heads as your about to pass.

Requesting more info on this part


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.