Back flow preventer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back flow preventer

For a sprinkler system. It isn’t supposed to be covered up like this one is, right? I feel like it could be a code violation but idk. My sprinklers wouldn’t shut off and when I finally said F it, I started digging and I found it. Naturally it was rusted AF and I could only turn one handle before the both broke off. I think my only option is to remove all that stone to expose the box. Have you ever seen somethin like this?
    .....bro....

I don’t see anything in the pic but yeah a back flow preventer aka double check goes in a meter box and needs an (air gap) room beneath it.

Comment

It’s underneath all that landscaping! I had to dig out those bushes and everything to get to it! Who does that?! of course it’s gonna rust, it gets flooded every time the bushes get watered.
      .....bro....

Comment

Your backflow valves should be brass, or something similar, and not rust right? My fire sprinkler guy said that the yard uses the same exact backflow preventer valves and the ones in the fire system appear to be brass. My yard sprinkler on/off cutoff valves are plastic.

Comment

Sprinkler valves are usually plastic. The double check valves are typically part of the double check, it’s a whole assembly. And yes the double check valves are brass.

Comment

I just re-read your post. The brass won’t typically rust but the other hardware on a double check will. Brass and stainless can corrode when buried. Certain soils attack metal more than others. Copper can corrode too.

Comment

But have y’all ever seen one that has landscaping build on top of it?
              .....bro....

Comment

I have run across a lot with landscaping on top. About 50% of the ones anywhere have the handles rusted off, a good pair of channel locks can grab the base of the collar for the handle. If you want to replace it you need to hire a licensed irrigator and pull a permit with the city.

Comment

If you have plastic ball valves anywhere they are just for isolation, a control valve will have a solenoid to control it. There are 7 types of backfow prevention devices/methods but only 2-3 are typical in our area.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Why would anyone build anything that needs to be watered on top of that box? I guess I’ll just knock that crap down and call a damn plumber. Thanks again!
                    .....bro....

Comment

People do stupid shit. They don’t understand the systems around and within their home, and they proceed with no regard to the systems.

If the double check is not directly under the stone, no need to tear it all down. If you can reach it from the top of the flower bed to turn the valves off, service it, etc, just stack the access boxes to bring the lid up to grade.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Double check valve - usually is installed on your property in a 12x24 box in the ground. Now days it has to have clearance under double check and have pea gravel under for water. Double check will always rust because it is not meant to be installed where it can be submerged.

Rpz - this device will be installed 12” above the highest head on property, this device will need a blanket and mock rock so it doesn’t freeze. They will still freeze

These two are the most common Backflow devices found in a sprinkler system

There is also a pvb - this will also be above ground like a RPZ

Comment

Back flow preventer at both houses I've owned was in the flowerbed up by the house and about a foot above the ground, mine is dripping after it froze.

This is what mine has

Comment

Glad this popped back up. Mine is above ground and only had a blanket, I never even thought about it! Need to check it for a leak

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                            X