Heading back to Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading back to Afghanistan

Most know, 3 years ago in August I left Afghanistan under less than favorable conditions. A few months later I turned down a job in Liberia from the same people who sent me home. It took another 16 months of phone calls for a spot to finally open back up and I landed in Agadez, Niger April of 2016 where I have been since.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, I got a call from our director offering me the Bagram Airfield Security Manager position for the company. Needless to say it is a nice bump in pay, both in hours + slightly more uplift + more hours a week paid. So I accepted. The offer was conditional on a few other pieces being moved around the board, BUT from everything I am hearing it is a 95% “go”.

I could be right back to the spot where I gladly through away my boots and clothes vowing to never return. I will be right back in a position I have already been at before on Bagram just this time I will be paid for the title.

For years I have been working to get to this spot with the company and finally it has paid off…if it happens. Now the hardest part will be keeping the job.
    Last edited by KBScobravert; 09-09-2017, 05:55 AM.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
    I could be right back to the spot where I gladly threw away my boots and clothes vowing to never return.

For years I have been working to get to this spot with the company and finally it has paid off…if it happens.

I must have missed other threads/posts where you talked about this but, if you vowed never to return what's going to keep you from coming to that mindset again this time? Maybe I'm missing something but those two sentences seem to be at odds.
    WH

Comment

Awesome man! It seems like there's been a large push for employees there lately
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        I must have missed other threads/posts where you talked about this but, if you vowed never to return what's going to keep you from coming to that mindset again this time? Maybe I'm missing something but those two sentences seem to be at odds.
        Chasing the dollar. Grass isnt always greener on the other side of the fence. It just seems that way until you climb over said fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          I guess "vowing" was a stronger term than what the reality was shortly after I left. I was pissed and bitter. You kind of get that way when an income at that level is cut short and you can't make that money in the same field in the US. If I had the choice back in 2014, I would have stayed. I made an error in judgement and had to leave for it (the short version).

But I luckily didn't completely burn the bridge so they brought me back in April of 2016. In Africa not Afghanistan though. Would have been sooner had a position opened up for me. They (bosses then and bosses now) had tried for nearly 16 months to get me back on in Africa but the contracts never went through with .gov. When they did, I got short notice to quit the shitty job I had to go back to my old line of overseas contracting work. (slightly longer version)

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
          Awesome man! It seems like there's been a large push for employees there lately
          There has been. Luckily for me, my department is promoting from within vs hiring in someone they have to gamble on being able to do the job. I feel greatful that they are calling on me when they have such a large pool to pick from too.

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
          Chasing the dollar. Grass isnt always greener on the other side of the fence. It just seems that way until you climb over said fence.
          I have left this work on my own in 2011 not really chasing the dollar but for other reasons. One of them being family. I new the side of the fence I was landing on would suck. I landed back on that side of the fence again in 2014, it sucked worse. And once again, I knew it was gonna suck.

This move here is chasing the dollar but I am still on the same side of the fence I am on now. It will be a position much like mine now, just in Afghanistan vs Africa. I would gladly stay here in Africa for the same position but the promotion is only coming with a move.

The job there in BAF is a very familiar one. I have sat in the same seat I will be in; many times for many months at a time. I just wasn't being paid for the title...kind of why i left in 2011.

But you're right. Chasing the dollar for sure now. The increase is substantial and I would be a fool for passing it up. Money is the main reason why any of us are in these shitholes working. So I will gladly make more in an environment I am used to.

Comment

I got a call from our director offering me the Security Manager position for the company.
            Congrats. I hope you've made the arrangements so you aren't walking into the same issues that caused you to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
              Congrats. I hope you've made the arrangements so you aren't walking into the same issues that caused you to leave.
              Yep. I learned I don't perform well on melatonin and 0100 in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

On one hand congrats, on the other be careful how long you're gone from family. If you have kids - you're going to regret this one day.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  On one hand congrats, on the other be careful how long you're gone from family. If you have kids - you're going to regret this one day.
                  You ever seen The Hurt Locker? It's a good movie

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                    You ever seen The Hurt Locker? It's a good movie
                    Oh that's a good movie!

Keith, if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do? I know it's not military. I find it fascinating, I'm using that word loosely, that people work with military folks. I don't know that i could do that job without an m16 and a few spare mags at the ready . I may have watched a few too many shooter movies like The hurt locker, green zone, lone survivor, American sniper, black hawk down, you name it.

Good luck and be safe

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      Oh that's a good movie!

Keith, if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do? I know it's not military. I find it fascinating, I'm using that word loosely, that people work with military folks. I don't know that i could do that job without an m16 and a few spare mags at the ready . I may have watched a few too many shooter movies like The hurt locker, green zone, lone survivor, American sniper, black hawk down, you name it.

Good luck and be safe
                      George, it is security management for a company that provides base life support and base construction to deployed military. Google LOGCAP. It is the government program that we function under for the US military.

I've been doing this in Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa. Since 2006, I've worked overseas for just under 10 of those years.

Africa is much safer than the others but doesn't pay as much and the titles don't go as high in the department.

Even in Afg, it's still pretty safe. They still get rockets occasionally landing in the base and folks do get hurt/killed by them. Then they had the suicide bomber on BAF, October of last year. He detonated 30 yards from where my office is right on the main drag. I'm perfectly fine with not carrying a firearm on base in Afghanistan. Doesn't do much good when someone blows themselves up or in defense of a rocket. But would prefer a sidearm in Africa where I spent a lot if time in town with large sums of money.
                      Last edited by KBScobravert; 09-10-2017, 12:35 AM.

Comment

This move here is chasing the dollar but I am still on the same side of the fence I am on now. It will be a position much like mine now, just in Afghanistan vs Africa. I would gladly stay here in Africa for the same position but the promotion is only coming with a move.

The job there in BAF is a very familiar one. I have sat in the same seat I will be in; many times for many months at a time. I just wasn't being paid for the title...kind of why i left in 2011.

But you're right. Chasing the dollar for sure now. The increase is substantial and I would be a fool for passing it up. Money is the main reason why any of us are in these shitholes working. So I will gladly make more in an environment I am used to.
                        Not knocking you...we all are guilty of it.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                          Not knocking you...we all are guilty of it.
                          I've been chasing this title and pay for a long time. I'm not a fan of the location, I'd take any other camp in Afghanistan over Bagram. But I'll take it gladly nonetheless.

This will certainly help retirement plans.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Goodluck mate. I like the pictures you usually post!

Comment

Congrats bud, make the best of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X