DFW Mustangs

DFW Mustangs (http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armory (http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Where is your line on drawing your weapon on someone? (http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67443)

Buick355 02-15-2017 08:57 PM

Where is your line on drawing your weapon on someone?

This is for when you're out in public, with your EDC piece. What does it take for you to draw down on someone? I know Texas is a "stand your ground" state, but I can imagine there's some grey area on what's considered a threat. Disclaimer: I'm new to carrying, and they skim over this shit pretty fast in the LTC class, so forgive my ignorance. My stance as of right now is, if you lay your hands on me, you're getting a gun put in your face. I have no idea if you have a knife, gun, the strength to beat me to death, etc. and I'm not about to find out. If someone just gets mouthy and threatens to kick my ass-whatever. I'm not pulling my gun for that, but when it gets physical, the gun comes out.

ram57ta 02-15-2017 09:21 PM

There are too many other variables for this poll to be realistic.
I had myself questioning this a few months back. I live in Albuquerque where crime is so beyond out of control its laughable....violent assaults and rape are WAYYY up there too. About 6 months ago my dogs started going crazy at about 2am and I heard yelling and screaming in front of my house. Before I could get downstairs I heard a female voice screaming "STOP, STOP!!!! I opened the garage door to look out and I see a probably late teens/very early 20's chick parked at the end of my driveway with 2 guys and they are all yelling and swinging at each other....at this point I didn't know if they were friends or if they were attacking this chick....I never pointed the gun but I made them aware I had it on me...as I also was talking to the police. A few words were exchanged as I determined they were all drunk or methed out and they jumped in 2 separate cars and sped off. Cops did show up and when I explained what happened they said nothing about me displaying, took a report and left. One of the cars was found a few blocks away wrecked and abandoned. It was stolen.

GE 02-15-2017 09:24 PM

I'm going with presenting a weapon to me.

Presenting your firearm as an intimidation tactic is bad juju. If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 lbs away from terminating the threat.

As the saying goes, you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. i.e. cops show up and there's conflicting stories, but half the people agree that there was some physical contact, but it didn't necessitate pulling out a firearm. Boom, you're probably going downtown.

It's not really a cut and dry answer. It's going to situation dependent. If Stone Cold Steve Austin goes hands on, it's a lot easier to convince a jury panel that I feared for my life. That if the fight continued I'd stand a chance that I'd be dead afterwards.

Flip that and say the BG is someone that's my same build. What do we know about them? What do we know about their fighting skills or training? Could I have simply let my pride take a hit and simply walked away?

Craizie 02-15-2017 09:27 PM

When I feel me or mine are in imminent and serious danger.

ram57ta 02-15-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GE (Post 1625519)
I'm going with presenting a weapon to me.
Presenting your firearm as an intimidation tactic is bad juju. If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 lbs away from terminating the threat.

I wanna make it clear I didn't pull it out to intimidate...I didn't know if I was walking out on a girl being robbed or raped...it happens all the time out here...I was on the phone with the police at the time and the dispatcher could hear the girl screaming thru the phone. As soon as I figured out what was going on I holstered it.

Buick355 02-15-2017 09:46 PM

I typically avoid confrontation and will walk away from any type of altercation that I think might get physical. I would never engage with someone who's trying to start shit and then pull out a gun, that's idiotic.

Craizie 02-15-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buick355 (Post 1625524)
I typically avoid confrontation and will walk away from any type of altercation that I think might get physical. I would never engage with someone who's trying to start shit and then pull out a gun, that's idiotic.

Nah, that's just pulling them off sides and laughing when the "ref" penalizes them.

GE 02-15-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram57ta (Post 1625522)
I wanna make it clear I didn't pull it out to intimidate...I didn't know if I was walking out on a girl being robbed or raped...it happens all the time out here...I was on the phone with the police at the time and the dispatcher could hear the girl screaming thru the phone. As soon as I figured out what was going on I holstered it.

My comments weren't really directed at anyone specifically.

YALE 02-15-2017 10:11 PM

I use the concentric rings strategy for threat analysis. Basically, the closer you are or the more you look like you're approaching me, the more I pay attention to you. There are mitigating factors, and I'm always scanning when I'm in public. I try to deescalate public misunderstandings first, and get away from conflict as much as possible. So far it's worked well.

naynay 02-15-2017 10:13 PM

brake check me and see whats up.

Craizie 02-15-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naynay (Post 1625533)

What do you drive, and what areas do you drive?

Sean88gt 02-15-2017 10:22 PM

Depends on what I perceive their intention to be.

Buick355 02-15-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naynay (Post 1625533)

ELVIS 02-16-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GE (Post 1625519)
If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 inches away from terminating your b-hole.

whoa!!!

god bless.

black2002ls 02-16-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YALE (Post 1625532)
I use the concentric rings strategy for threat analysis. Basically, the closer you are or the more you look like you're approaching me, the more I pay attention to you. There are mitigating factors, and I'm always scanning when I'm in public. I try to deescalate public misunderstandings first, and get away from conflict as much as possible. So far it's worked well.

This right here. I am typically hyperaware of my surroundings, always looking around, seeing who or what is aroubd me, etc. I could typically spot bar fights before they happened simply by watching the crowd.

As for drawing my weapon, my life or that of my family would have to be in iminent danger. I have ran scenarios through my head a lot, asking myself what I would do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HarrisonTX 02-16-2017 07:22 AM

Pulling when hands laid on you WITHOUT the intent of immediately using it is a very very good way to have your own weapon used against you. Just be cautious

BP 02-16-2017 08:13 AM

I've drawn on someone while inside of my home. He was abusive to my sister and threatened my life. I was in my home at the time and he was standing in the yard making verbal threats. Thankfully he decided to leave before assaulting anyone.

IHaveAMustang 02-16-2017 08:36 AM

I've been carrying for 5 years now, have not even had anything remotely close to make me think to draw. I think it's 99% situational awareness, 1% action.

That being said, I have my decision split into two scenarios:
1) I'll draw down at the slightest hint that either my wife or 2 year old son is in any danger. They are the whole reason I got a CHL. As long as I maintain distance, my weapon shouldn't be in danger of being taken. Even being followed in a parking lot would make me draw and tell them to get lost. Don't care about being arrested, their lives are priority.

2) If it's just me, they'll have to try to punch, stab or draw a weapon on me before I draw. I imagine a jury of my peers would acquit me with a female and toddler being protected instead of a lone white male with no witnesses/other victims.

sc281 02-16-2017 01:17 PM

If I feel threatened. Casually place it at my side and try to not have it in view of the bad guy.
Waiting after that point, to me, only puts me at a disadvantage if the potential bad guy decides to draw first.

naynay 02-16-2017 01:24 PM

sig check.