***The OFFICIAL aviation pics thread***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veight7 View Post
    Never really thought about it but those are some thick ass windshields to still be intact while the nose got caved in by the same hail.
    Yes, but what you see cracked is the outer pane. The aircraft pressure vessel was not compromised.
    Maybe one of the A&P's can elaborate, that nosecone is super thin. Sometimes made of composite or fiberglass because of the radome behind it.

Here is a pic of a bird strike (looked like a duck) we took at 10,000 feet descending into Norfolk, VA. Unbelievably loud. The cockpit in the 80 is one of the quietest. One reason is the engines are 149' behind us.

Comment

• I knew it wasn't the pressure vessel but I was not aware that the cone were a composite, I thought it was still aluminum.

XBL Tag = veight7

Comment

• Comment

• Carswell AFB, 1966

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Not one, not two, but three of the baddest mother fuckin aircraft to ever compress air molecules in the same place, at the same time.
            So much awesome.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
              Yes, but what you see cracked is the outer pane. The aircraft pressure vessel was not compromised.
              Maybe one of the A&P's can elaborate, that nosecone is super thin. Sometimes made of composite or fiberglass because of the radome behind it.
              ]

Yep.. Composite material build-up.. Find many of them delamed and badly eroded during initial inspection.
              Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

• Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                Not one, not two, but three of the baddest mother fuckin aircraft to ever compress air molecules in the same place, at the same time.
                So much awesome.
                The mid '60s really was a pretty good time for aircraft technology. Here are some more pics from the same event.

Here's the rest of the photos from the Air Force Association Airshow at Carswell AFB in March of 1966.

From what I understand it was a once in a lifetime type of show.
                Here's what another guy that was at the show told me.
                The USAF unbolted everything for that show...they had two of almost every aircraft type in their inventory.

The air show portion included a fly-by of the first of the same type plane with everything hanging...as slow as the plane could go...and as the plane was near the middle of its fly-by, another of the same type plane came from behind just under Mach 1.

F-86, F-89. F-94, F100, F-101, F102, F-104, F-106...

The U-2 flew real slow then in mid-runway, up came the plane into vertical flight and continued straight up and continued until I could no longer see it.

The YF-12 had its canopy open and a guy in the cockpit telling each of us..."no photos"... I obeyed.

The B-57F had all its sensitive stuff removed from the cockpit...

Thunderbirds were flying F-100s. Thanks Dave!

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Cool pics from carswell. Sadly that is the xb-70 (av-2) lost in a mid-air collision with a F-104 June 8th 1966.

Comment

• Those Carswell pics are amazing. My grandpa and my dad were both stationed there. Spent many times watching the planes there or going to air shows and listening to the stories about what went on there. That must have been an incredible day to have been there.

-Eric

Comment

• Comment

Comment

• The F-111 is probably one of my favorite planes of all time. It was a beautiful and very unique jet.

Last edited by CJ; 03-08-2015, 12:50 PM.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• [IMG]www.imgur.com/o6rXbNk.jpg[/IMG]
                              http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

• The ardvark wad originally intended for nuke delivery if I recall.

And yes, very cool bird. Still remember it and it's sorties over Libya
                                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                                X