No announcement yet.

black2002ls Model Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another pretty good day. 2 firsts, a second, and overall in the automotive category. The primary subjects at this shownwere armor and air. If you have ever been around any of those guys, they are kind of nuts when it comes to detail and accuracy! So, I was not surprised one of them won best of show.

A few of my favorites from the show, and yes, that is the winnebago from spaceballs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Yes the military model guys go to extremes. I build planes too, but I’m not that detailed. There isn’t enough time in my life for that.

Comment

Well, for the Houston crew, it looks like I'm going to try and hit the HAMS show on July 21st. This is an automotive centered contest, so it should be a lot more heavily contested. Not sure what all I am going to take down there. The Denny Hamlin car for sure, probably my 2002 Camaro for the box stock category, I may try and push through and finish up 01yz2nv's Cobra and take it with me, the T-bird, after I re-work the interior....again. I tossed an old 67 split window vette in some alcohol last night to strip, I'll probably re-paint it and take it.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
          Well, for the Houston crew, it looks like I'm going to try and hit the HAMS show on July 21st. This is an automotive centered contest, so it should be a lot more heavily contested. Not sure what all I am going to take down there. The Denny Hamlin car for sure, probably my 2002 Camaro for the box stock category, I may try and push through and finish up 01yz2nv's Cobra and take it with me, the T-bird, after I re-work the interior....again. I tossed an old 67 split window vette in some alcohol last night to strip, I'll probably re-paint it and take it.
          Did I send you updated pics of the finished engine bay with the Novi installed?
          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
          http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
          Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
          http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
          www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
            Did I send you updated pics of the finished engine bay with the Novi installed?
            Not yet

Comment

A couple of builds outside of my wheel house.

Mstang GT350 is 1/32 scale. Very basic kit. It will be wimbeldon white with blue stripes

50 Ford convertible. This will be pretty much stock. Color will be Torreador red with tan interior. I'm even planning on keeping the flathead

Comment

1/32 GT350 is moving right along!

Comment

This stuff is so awesome. Makes me want to start modeling again. But heck I don't have the time or space. I'll just keep watching you do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                    This stuff is so awesome. Makes me want to start modeling again. But heck I don't have the time or space. I'll just keep watching you do it.
                    Or the kits....LOL. I FINALLY sold the last bit of the lot a couple of weeks ago, I ended up keeping way more than I had planned to, and ended up picking up a few others along the way from the trading groups, most notably:

Steve Kinser Superman Sprint car
                    1/12 2010 GT500 - still sealed in factory bags. Bought for $60 to my door which is a steal. This will be a box stock build, maybe add some miscellaneous wires, color will be sterling silver
                    1/8 Pocher Ferrari F-40 Engine - complete kit, stole it for $30 shipped. Not sure if it will get built as a stand alone display or it may end up used in my 1/8 vette in a rear engine set up.

Last edited by black2002ls; 06-27-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I have that mustang kit. bought it $60 new. When I finally opened it up I found the hood is warped. I was going to make a full function model with as many things working as I could, like lights blinkers, steering, make the belts turn when you rev, and make it move under its own power. I was going to hook it all up to my 16 channel rc radio. Didn't want to make it fast or anything, just wanted to be able to put around on the diningroom table. Maybe one day. if I find a new hood.

Comment

I have that mustang kit. bought it $60 new. When I finally opened it up I found the hood is warped. I was going to make a full function model with as many things working as I could, like lights blinkers, steering, make the belts turn when you rev, and make it move under its own power. I was going to hook it all up to my 16 channel rc radio. Didn't want to make it fast or anything, just wanted to be able to put around on the diningroom table. Maybe one day. if I find a new hood.
                        you can fix the hood with some steam, or a hairdryer. heat, twist, cool, repeat.

I've got one that got the parts swiped for my 1/12 65 mustang build. The body from that one is slowly getting a tube chassis. With Revell gone under, I'm trying to pick up things that I may want to build and will be hard to find later. I couldn't pass this one up, as they are going for $150-200 on ebay.

Comment

you can fix the hood with some steam, or a hairdryer. heat, twist, cool, repeat.

I've got one that got the parts swiped for my 1/12 65 mustang build. The body from that one is slowly getting a tube chassis. With Revell gone under, I'm trying to pick up things that I may want to build and will be hard to find later. I couldn't pass this one up, as they are going for $150-200 on ebay.
                          holy crap really? maybe I should just sell mine!

Comment

holy crap really? maybe I should just sell mine!
                            The large scale stuff is 2 fold. They were all pretty much limited runs, more limited than the 1/24 and 1/25 stuff. Compound that with Revell going out of business and things are starting to get a little bit crazy price wise on stuff.

Comment

The large scale stuff is 2 fold. They were all pretty much limited runs, more limited than the 1/24 and 1/25 stuff. Compound that with Revell going out of business and things are starting to get a little bit crazy price wise on stuff.
                              The RC airplane hobby just took a huge hit too with the last US kit maker being bought out. Old fashioned builders will be fighting over remaining kits on eBay and in want ads. The cockpit kit for my Corsair is no where to be found, and now it’s obvious no more will ever be made. My wife thought I was crazy to buy and store the kits I did for retirement.

Comment

The 50 Ford is moving right along. I was able to get some clear sprayed and the interior painted. Wheels are painted body color, I'll use the chrome Ford hub caps, and no trim rings. The tires will get painted white walls.

I also got some clear on the 1/32 Mustang. Thankfully the decals didn't act up too bad. I got some bad fisheyes on the passenger side that had to be sanded out and resprayed.

I really need to build a spray booth. Both of these ended up with trash in the clear. I was pretty upset with the Mustang, the clear was smooth as glass after the second round of clear. Unfortunately, I had so sand several areas out to eliminate the trash, which then led to an hour or so of polishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X