Decided to build a shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to build a shed

I've been wanting/needing a shed for a while. I priced out some of the portable sheds you can buy and couldn't believe a 12x24 shed with a rollup door was $7,100 before taxes and delivery. I did some rough math and figured I could save at least half that building my own so I decided to go that route. This won't be an apples to apples comparison since I could only get 16' 4x4's so mine will be a 12x16.

I'm sure there are some tricks of the trade to get a floor leveled quickly but this one ate my lunch for a while. The cold and rain hasn't helped much either.

It took longer than expected, and I'm trying to time the build so the rain doesn't mess up my floor before I get a roof on. However, I finally got the floor done and two walls ready.

I've been thinking ahead of how I'm going to build the roof. I want the barn style roof to get more storage but getting up on this room has me nervous already. Does anyone here know how to figure "H" for the length of my 2x4's?

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 01-25-2019, 01:15 PM.

See table 2, duh.

Comment

my wife was talking about she wanted a she-shed too.

solid move bro!

Comment

You said G is 12 feet. That makes H 4'-7 1/8". The vertical height of the truss is exactly 6 feet. The nice part is that all 4 legs of the truss are identical so get one cut perfect and then use it as a template to make the rest of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          See table 2, duh.
          Lol, that was a link to buy their shed plans.

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          You said G is 12 feet. That makes H 4'-7 1/8". The vertical height of the truss is exactly 6 feet. The nice part is that all 4 legs of the truss are identical so get one cut perfect and then use it as a template to make the rest of them.
          Whoa!! If the vertical height is 6 feet, then that's not going to work. I'm not climbing that high.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            Whoa!! If the vertical height is 6 feet, then that's not going to work. I'm not climbing that high.
            You could always change the angles and reduce the height of the truss, but it would be easier to just build a traditional shed roof if you want the roof peak to be lower. And the barn roof would probably look a bit odd, like a mistake, if you break from the normal angles. And you're probably only dropping the peak maybe 18-24 inches if you go with a simple shed roof.

Another thought is to slope the roof from a high point in the front to a low point in the back, just one single roof plane at an angle. All depends on the look you're after.

Comment

This is the roof I'm going for. It seems to be lower than the diagram I posted. I had come across that on cheapsheds.com and thought having one size board to cut would simplify things.

I like the barn style roof to maximize storage space when I add a 5 or 6 ft loft

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 11-29-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Yes, the loft space helps tremendously on these things man. Did you try pricing at Texas Steel Industries (TSI) there in VA about 2 miles north of exit 51 on the west side? That's where I bought mine and it was really fair priced. Yes, I would've saved 20-25% at the time - doing it myself - but I needed something quick. 2 coats of paint....decent hardware...etc.

I bought a shed and trailer from them when I moved in, but my worry is now that we're growing they won't be so - low margin/willing to flex.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I checked another metal building place in Howe and it was cheaper but I didn't really want a metal building, plus I tend to make things complicated for myself and decided to build my own

At this point, I'm already committed to finishing it. All four walls are standing and fastened together so I need to get moving on the roof stat!

Comment

Then just build the barn roof. The one you pictured is exactly the same angles as the one I used for the calculations above. The height of the roof (from bottom of truss to top of truss) is exactly half of the width, no matter how wide.

The six feet you're worried about during construction is the 6 feet you WANT for storage for the life of the building. Just do it.

Comment

Click this and look at the FWH2 down the page a bit. It was originally designed as part of a shed kit hardware package. They will make it easier to tie everything together with the roof framing.

Comment

Progress has been really slow...which sucks. the rain is killing me, the short days are killing me, deer season is killing me. I'll get it finished eventually.

I decided to go with the roof design that Tx_92_Notch provided. I made a sample truss and realized it wasn't that bad a single board size was much easier.
                        Last edited by GeorgeG.; 12-07-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                          Click this and look at the FWH2 down the page a bit. It was originally designed as part of a shed kit hardware package. They will make it easier to tie everything together with the roof framing.

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...-2017-p355.pdf
                          If I was going with a traditional pitched roof, I'd be all over that.

Comment

That 4 way connector can do the barn roof. Those pieces flex. You'll have to cut the tab off for the outer ones, but otherwise it works for a barn roof perfectly.

One board goes horizontally all the way (attach the bracket to it first). Then slope cut the rafters and attach to the board via the bracket. We actually used to sell a shed kit that had the jig to cut it with and everything for a 22.5 degree roof.

Comment

Follow this link: http://www.diyonline.com/servlet/GIB...ion.docid=1782

Comment

Working...
                              X