For the math people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the math people

My sister in law sent this to me this evening, asking me what the answer was.

"What is the percentage of 8 less than 10?"

Does anyone know the answer?

I will share my thoughts/thought process as well as what the teacher gave as the answer after I get some responses.

Disclaimer: by answers I mean reasonable mathematical answers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

About 9.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

100% of 8 is less than 10, but I don't understand the question
      1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
        Agree

Comment

Horribly worded but my interpretation is...

"8 less than 10" is 2 and 2 is 20% of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post

Wouldn't it be 80%?

Comment

This is how I took it
              Originally posted by Marisa
              we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

What's the fucking point? So some math teacher can sit around and laugh about making students second guess the horrible wording of a question that has zero relevance to anything you'll ever come across in real life?

I hate math teachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                  I will touch on this in just a minute.

This is the logic I applied given the wording of the question
                  Originally posted by red89notch View Post
                  This is how I took it
                  As did just about everyone they have asked.

The answer given to the class was -25%

I spent 20-30 minutes reading the question, changing it to logic statements, trying to break it into parts. At one point, I thought I had it figured out and that the teacher did a poor job of wording the question. I got there by making the primary question "what is the percentage of 8" this was the only way I could logically get to an answer that would include 25% or 1/4. Then, after assuming that, I took 8 from 10, and apied that result to the first statement. What is the percentage of 8. That gave me the 25%. Then I allowed the negative to make sense because 8 was smaller than ten by 2, basically because I had to subtract the 2, making it negative.

Then, I got to thinking about it more. This is where I applied the logic statement, based on how the problem was presented. 8 <10. That statement alone would disprove the teachers "correct" answer to the problem. This was my final response in regards to the problem:

The more I think about it, and read it, with that wording and arrangement, -25% would never be correct. Primarily due to the less than statement, as well as its location in the problem. Under no circustances would the statement 8 less than 10, or 8 <10, give a result of -25%.

Now, had the less than statement simply read "less" and not less than, the you could resonably extrapolate the -25% answer

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                    What's the fucking point? So some math teacher can sit around and laugh about making students second guess the horrible wording of a question that has zero relevance to anything you'll ever come across in real life?

I hate math teachers.
                    I have a degree in Math and Physics, though my recollection and understanding is 10 years removed from college, and out of practice.

I am hoping for some validation of my assumptions/reasoning, or an explanation as to how -25% is the correct answer.

Comment

8 less than 10 = 2.... percentages of 8 is 2/8 or 25 percent.

Fact is it's a trick bullshit question. It would never pass any test of exam theory as a fair question. It's about as lame as the my cousin vinny scene where the lawyer asks the correct timing for a 327 in a 55 bel aire.

Comment

8 less than 10 = 2.... percentages of 8 is 2/8 or 25 percent.

Fact is it's a trick bullshit question. It would never pass any test of exam theory as a fair question. It's about as lame as the my cousin vinny scene where the lawyer asks the correct timing for a 327 in a 55 bel aire.

Comment

My Dad had a 55 with a 327 in it... it was out of a 66 vette though.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                            My Dad had a 55 with a 327 in it... it was out of a 66 vette though.
                            This is math I understand....

I use very basic math in my career/life and its served me very well. I'm not dfwballer rich, but enough to raise a family pretty comfortably.

I can just google the rest...

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                              This is math I understand....

I use very basic math in my career/life and its served me very well. I'm not dfwballer rich, [B]but enough to raise a family pretty comfortably.[/]

I can just google the rest...
                              And that's the most important thing. I'm not rich either but I'm going to teach my kids how to be! Jr just turned 18 and is saving a $100 at his first 20+ HR a week job while going to JC. In a few months we will start investing it so when he is my age he can do whatever. I should've started then, but I married his mom and that set me back 15 years!

Comment

Working...
                              X