Upgrading the fileserver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading the fileserver

I think I added everyone that needed access to plex back on it. I have 16 4TB drives in a multiple raid 10 arrays using a stripped LVM over them which gives me 32TB of total space. I might change it out for multiple raid 5's so I can have more space because I really dont need the performance.

That's a lot of space!

Also, how are there feet with no legs? wtf.

Comment

I switched from FreeNAS to just a Linux CentOS setup. FreeNAS was too cumbersome, slow, and just not enough for what I wanted. You'll notice a 10Gb network card in the there which I plug it directly into my desktop for the big data transfers and low latency response times ( for virtual stuff ). I am thinking about moving this to a data center though.

Comment

That's some baller ass shit.

Comment

How much of that 32TB of space are you using, at the moment? And what are you going to move to a data center? Like, collocate it, or move all the information to an IaaS provider?

Comment

I converted it to raid 5 today, I still need to add 6 more drives ( my old file server was 6x 4TB drives ). I am pleasantly surprised at the throughput, 1.1GBps read and 688MBps write is phenomenal for 5400rpm spinning drives.

Currently I use 12TB of storage space. I dont foresee me using this space for a long time. Yeah, moving it to a data center because its fucking loud.

[root@tank highpoint]# df -h /storage
            Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
            /dev/mapper/storage-tank 33T 34M 33T 1% /storage

[root@tank highpoint]# hdparm -t /dev/mapper/storage-tank
            /dev/mapper/storage-tank:
            Timing buffered disk reads: 3414 MB in 3.00 seconds = 1137.53 MB/sec

[root@tank storage]# dd bs=2M count=4096 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
            4096+0 records in
            4096+0 records out
            8589934592 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 12.4819 s, 688 MB/s

Comment

cool!
              sigpic

Comment

What kind of RAID cards are you running? And what are you using to monitor drive health? The utilities for the RAID card or a third-party software?

Comment

Right now, I have 3x raid5 arrays of 4 disks each. I am using software raid via mdadm to create and monitor the raid and drives. I am using LVM on top of the raid arrays with stripe setup so I can gain a write performance increase even though I'm using raid5. I am using 2x Highpoint 750s, they support 40 drives each and can handle 6GBps per channel not total ( fasttttttttttt ).

In doing LVM striping, in order to increase the size and rebalance the stripe, I have to add 3 more raid5 arrays, which means I'd have to buy 6 more 4TB drives, which I'm probably not going to do. Might figure out a different way to address that issue tomorrow.

This is the card in question: https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Roc.../dp/B00C7JNPSQ

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    That's some baller ass shit.

That would only be if they were all those 4tb SSD's for servers.
                    WH

Comment

That's awesome man. I know how RAID and LVM work, I was just curious about the hardware and software you were using to do it. Looks like a fun storage server to set up, albeit well out of my price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        That would only be if they were all those 4tb SSD's for servers.
                        I had to go look that up, I had no idea they had 4TB ssd's now.

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        That's awesome man. I know how RAID and LVM work, I was just curious about the hardware and software you were using to do it. Looks like a fun storage server to set up, albeit well out of my price range.
                        I got to re-purpose some work hardware that we haven't used in 2 years, so luckily the cost was not there, lucky me.

I was doing the migration last night to move off my old ( which is still a crazy machine ) file server to the new one but had to stop because of beeping noises that I havent investigated yet. I was getting 260MBps transfer rates which is pretty good tho.

Comment

Still rocking no shoes training to be a ninja!!
                          "PSH!!!"

Comment

That's running your PLEX?
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                            Originally posted by Denny
                            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Im about to the end of my NAS at home. Its a synology 5 bay. Not sure what Im going to do after this gets closer to filled. Synology is expensive but its easy. Im no linux pro like you are.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X