No announcement yet.

Kennedale closing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made my first pass ever at that track in '79. 1969 Chevy C10 long bed with a hot 327 and three on the tree. Hard to believe it's not going to be there anymore. And since we moved back to Burleson, Northstar is quite the hike. Really need to move back to the Keller area.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      Im right at an hour and 20 mins from Cedar Creek, Denton and Prairie Hill. Ennis is about 45 mins.
      I'm the same.

Its been a few years but Ennis was always packed and just wasn't fun.....impersonal. I prefer the small Mom and Pop tracks.

Looks like Friday nights will be dirt track watching. Yea haw.....
      Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Little River is still running btw. They had a top fuel dragster make a pass last season! That and there is a NHRA track in Paris. Depending on what side of town you live one might be closer than some of the other tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
          I'm the same.

Its been a few years but Ennis was always packed and just wasn't fun.....impersonal. I prefer the small Mom and Pop tracks.

Looks like Friday nights will be dirt track watching. Yea haw.....
          I havent been to Ennis in a few years, but the last time I waited in tech line for an hour, then two in the staging lanes to be told right before I got to the line that they werent going to let any more street tires go. I was beyond furious.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            I havent been to Ennis in a few years, but the last time I waited in tech line for an hour, then two in the staging lanes to be told right before I got to the line that they werent going to let any more street tires go. I was beyond furious.
            At least you didn't call their hotline before loading up a car to verify they were racing, drive an hour and a half then wait in line for another hour before they decided to close since it might rain.

Or my absolute favorite part about Ennis is waiting in the lane to go through tech. Explaining to the tech guy that the car runs mid 10s and has all the required safety gear, even showing him the date stamp on my harness. Only to make a pass and have to go back through tech before the tower would let me make another pass since there weren't any notes on the card.

Comment

So whats up with Redline?
              Murph

Comment

Welp...Denton and the Gut it is...
                Originally posted by Da Prez
                Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Raceway agreed on closure

Kennedale’s drag strip, a fixture since 1961 in Kennedale, had agreed with the City of Kennedale that this season would be its last. Yet, the strip has been vague about the actual closing.

While it has an contractual agreement on the books with the City, Texas Raceway has been mum about the closing this fall on its webpage and has hinted on Facebook in a recent posting that there would be a 2017 season. Telling readers, “We appreciate you racing with us this year and we look forward to racing in 2017!” A phone recording on the race track’s phone gives the same message.

But, neither is there any racing events posted on their calendar for next year, except an end of the year banquet at Mercado Juarez in January.

The City of Kennedale has not hidden their desire to redevelop the area along New Hope Road and it is the adopted city master plan. This area has been the home of three race tracks up to several years ago. Texas Raceway and Kennedale Speedway Park, the two remaining tracks, have been in discussion for several years with Kennedale about closing.

Kennedale had reached a develop agreement with the Kennedale Raceway owners two years ago. The development agreement according to the race track owners was predicated on both of the remaining tracks closing. Texas Raceway set a date for this year. Kennedale Speedway Park has yet to agree to a closing date.

In October, Cindi McMillan, representing the Raceway, addressed the Kennedale City Council to express their frustration as owners. She and her husband had purchased the track in 2002 and said that they had always worked with the City of Kennedale. (information provided from approved minutes)

She said that in 2013 they were advised of the City’s plan to close all the race tracks by the end of October. So in good faith they had entered into a developer agreement with the city. They have worked with several developers who have expressed interest in their property, but have not been able to give them a firm date. She said that according to the City of Kennedale plans, Kennedale’s other race track, Kennedale Speedway Park would be closed by mid-2017. But without a firm commitment on a date for closure, residential/commercial development can not proceed.

The City has agreed to a two year extension of the 10 year development plan since the first two years have expired on the original agreement sign with the owners of Raceway.

Kennedale City Manager Bob Hart commented to the Kennedale News on Wednesday that as far as the city understood Texas Raceway was closed for racing. He had not heard otherwise from the owners.
                  THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                    Raceway agreed on closure
                    Kinda like agreeing to say 'uncle' when your arm is being twisted behind your back?

Comment

Texas’ famed Texas Raceway, opened in 1961, announced on Monday that — barring a miracle — it’s gates will remain forever closed after the city government ruled against its continued operation.
                      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Thats a couple years before green valley was built i believe..Wow, didn't know that the track was that old

Very sad

Comment

From the Kennedale Unite website. They are currently trying to get three new candidates elected to City Council in May.

Update on the Kennedale race tracks. This information is fluid and could be changing today, this is as currently known.
                          Three race tracks
                          1. Cowtown Speedway
                          2. Texas Raceway
                          3. Kennedale Speedway Park

The City wanted higher tax revenues from the large land area the race tracks covered. The plan was to close the race
                          tracks and build high density housing developments (lots of homes..more people) which would require new
                          water/sewer lines and roads.
                          Cowtown closed (not sure of the details) and agreements were underway with Texas Raceway & KSP. The offer: if they
                          would close the race tracks the City would bring developers to buy their land and everyone wins. Texas Raceway
                          agreed and signed a contract to close thinking KSP did the same. Texas Raceway thought both tracks were under a
                          similar contract with the City but that wasn’t the case. The City did not get a signed contract with KSP to close.
                          When the Texas Raceway contract came up to close at the end of Oct 2016 the owners of Texas Raceway ask at a City
                          Council meeting for an amendment to their contract allowing them to continue racing and told City Council they
                          operated in good faith and wanted the same from the City.
                          It seems crazy with the City not having a contract with KSP they would hold Texas Raceway to their contract? So now,
                          we the citizens are paying attorney fees to work with Texas Raceway to amend their contract. (More $$$$$ )
                          The biggest part of this problem is the City created a TIRZ (Tax Incremental Reinvestment Zone) for the area that
                          surrounds the race tracks, Bloxom area up to Sonora Park where the new Senior Living Apts are being built.
                          They city has already spent or contracted to spend:
                          $1,046,887.57 for the development of this area.
                          What if KSP takes years to agree to close, what if KSP never closes????? How does the City plan on paying that money
                          back? And what was the cost to benefit for us? I mean they are doing all this for the benefit of the citizens, right???
                          The City got the cart before the horse big time on this deal!!
                          Would like to hear from you. Love them or hate them, the City has created a situation that makes everyone unhappy.
                          One agreed to close and can’t develop their land and can’t run their business. KSP never agreed to close which is their
                          right. Cowtown closed and can’t develop. The citizens are out over a million dollars for infrastructure that has stalled
                          and with an uncertain future. Even if you don’t go to the race tracks, what do you think of what our City is doing with
                          our money??? Oh and a big chunk of the $1,046,887.57 is from our water funds….hence the increase in water rates!!
                          $546,277.56 from water funds
                          $176,235.01 from street funds (which water funds support)
                          $324,374 from roadway impact fees (which should be spent on road repairs not future development)
                          Murph

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
                            From the Kennedale Unite website. They are currently trying to get three new candidates elected to City Council in May.

Update on the Kennedale race tracks. This information is fluid and could be changing today, this is as currently known.
                            Three race tracks
                            1. Cowtown Speedway
                            2. Texas Raceway
                            3. Kennedale Speedway Park

The City wanted higher tax revenues from the large land area the race tracks covered. The plan was to close the race
                            tracks and build high density housing developments (lots of homes..more people) which would require new
                            water/sewer lines and roads.
                            Cowtown closed (not sure of the details) and agreements were underway with Texas Raceway & KSP. The offer: if they
                            would close the race tracks the City would bring developers to buy their land and everyone wins. Texas Raceway
                            agreed and signed a contract to close thinking KSP did the same. Texas Raceway thought both tracks were under a
                            similar contract with the City but that wasn’t the case. The City did not get a signed contract with KSP to close.
                            When the Texas Raceway contract came up to close at the end of Oct 2016 the owners of Texas Raceway ask at a City
                            Council meeting for an amendment to their contract allowing them to continue racing and told City Council they
                            operated in good faith and wanted the same from the City.
                            It seems crazy with the City not having a contract with KSP they would hold Texas Raceway to their contract? So now,
                            we the citizens are paying attorney fees to work with Texas Raceway to amend their contract. (More $$$$$ )
                            The biggest part of this problem is the City created a TIRZ (Tax Incremental Reinvestment Zone) for the area that
                            surrounds the race tracks, Bloxom area up to Sonora Park where the new Senior Living Apts are being built.
                            They city has already spent or contracted to spend:
                            $1,046,887.57 for the development of this area.
                            What if KSP takes years to agree to close, what if KSP never closes????? How does the City plan on paying that money
                            back? And what was the cost to benefit for us? I mean they are doing all this for the benefit of the citizens, right???
                            The City got the cart before the horse big time on this deal!!
                            Would like to hear from you. Love them or hate them, the City has created a situation that makes everyone unhappy.
                            One agreed to close and can’t develop their land and can’t run their business. KSP never agreed to close which is their
                            right. Cowtown closed and can’t develop. The citizens are out over a million dollars for infrastructure that has stalled
                            and with an uncertain future. Even if you don’t go to the race tracks, what do you think of what our City is doing with
                            our money??? Oh and a big chunk of the $1,046,887.57 is from our water funds….hence the increase in water rates!!
                            $546,277.56 from water funds
                            $176,235.01 from street funds (which water funds support)
                            $324,374 from roadway impact fees (which should be spent on road repairs not future development)
                            Wow, sounds like a real cluster fuck down there..

Comment

Seems like Texas Raceway's part of the deal was poorly negotiated or poorly executed. That is, unless they wanted to close.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

It'd be horrible if someone noticed a Mexican spotted owl nesting in the timing lights. All that time and effort the city put in to close the place down only for it to be turned into a wildlife sanctuary.

Comment

Working...
                                X