3g alternator conversion help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3g alternator conversion help!

I am on my 3rd Oriellys Optima 95 mustang alternator. Wires are hooked up correctly, pulley is in perfect line but they keep blowing the bearings out. The last one lasted 10 minutes, am I missing something or just chalk it up to Chinese parts? TIA.

If you feel the bearings are just junk, you may try swapping it out for a 6303 bearing from Fastenal. About $4

Comment

Good to know, it is popping the bearings and trashing the pickups every time.

Comment

The most famous words.
        It can't be bad, it is new!

Sorry for your loss....

Comment

Dude, I put 4 GM alternators on a car a few years back, all tested good on the bench, but didnt work in the car. Once you tension-ed the belt they quit. it was stupid.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

In my experience, this usually is the result of an really overly tight belt. And add to that a shitty chinese reman alternator that typically will be more susceptible to premature failure.

Pro tip: If you want a rock solid 3g/4g/6g alternator, take your failed unit to Auto Start on Main St. in Lewisville. If you don't live in the area, it's worth the drive. Or make arrangements to ship. I did the off the shelf reman thing once back in the day. No bueno. A buddy of mine that worked at a local repair shop at the time said they send their customer's bad alt to Auto Start and they never had a customer call or come back with a alt problem. Therefore, over the years I've had Auto Start do a rebuild on a failed OEM alt. on 3 different vehicles. Never had a alt problem since. Check your belt size, especially if you are bypassing the smog pump. Consider going up in size (e.g., .25") with a good grippy belt, like the Goodyear Gatorbacks. Those Auto Start guys are gurus on both auto and marine applications. I think I paid them $120 for the OEM 4g on my '03 Procharged GT. It had bearing and regulator problems.

Comment

Well good news is I used the Summit tuff stuff 150 amp and it took me to goodguys and all around town with no issues. I did see a few boardmembers rides (all looked great!) but couldn't find anyone. If this one fails I will hit up the gentleman recommended, thank ya again ya filthy animals!

Comment

The key is to get an American-made alternator with American-made bearings. I would not recommend getting larger than a 130amp model.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                X