Starter grinds when the engine is cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter grinds when the engine is cold

Do old worn starters start to grind? Or do they just quit working? In my experience, they'll just quit working one day. I've also had a dying starter turn the engine over, but too slowly to ever start it. Never heard of one that got old and still worked but started grinding when the engine was cold.

09 toyota sedan my work car
    WH

grinds while starting or making a noise while running?

Comment

The worm gear in the starter can be affected by dirt, oil or old grease. I have seen this a few times on older cars, especially if the rear main seal leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stangs 4 Life View Post
        The worm gear in the starter can be affected by dirt, oil or old grease. I have seen this a few times on older cars, especially if the rear main seal leaks.
        or sticking starter bendix

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
          grinds while starting or making a noise while running?
          Only on cold startup. It doesn't do it while the engine is running. And if the engine is already warm, it won't do it.

Originally posted by Stangs 4 Life View Post
          No leaks of any kind. I absolutely abhor leaks, I'd have fixed it real soon after it started. But, the car does have 210k miles on it. And its the original starter.
          WH

Comment

Working...
          X