No announcement yet.

Tesla to Texas: How Do You Like Us Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price has nothing to do with emissions or green power.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
      How often do these cars require a charging? From what I understand it is quite frequent. Also since these cars are $70k+, are they really that efficient in the long run? Seems like a fad they are trying to capture more than a real cause.
      It depends on how and how far you drive. The bigger battery goes about 300 miles and will recharge fully overnight. Most people that commute can get away with charging it every few days. They also have stations setup that can swap the battery in under 5 minutes for a full one and there are other charging stations that can charge it completely in 2 hours.

For their target market, say hipster Austin it works out well. You can commute from there to Houston and swap batteries and come back, or you can park it at their service facility and get a complete charge while you have lunch or go shopping. Park it at the airport and charge, park it at the zoo, most hotels, many theme parks, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Price has nothing to do with emissions or green power.
        There's also cost efficiency. And it's going to be hard to beat a $1500 Geo Prizm.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I'm strictly talking about the green movement that YOU brought up. Focus son!!!!11!!1

Comment

I am here to tell you that Elon Musk has his shit together. So much so that he has the backing of a lot of influential people. His goal with the new factory is a much cheaper battery and a $35K car that can go 200 miles on a single charge.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I'm all for that!
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm strictly talking about the green movement that YOU brought up. Focus son!!!!11!!1
                It's both really. Most of these greenies complain that gas is so high, well there is a correlation. If gas is so high, driving one of these, gas would seem really low after the initial cost of ownership.

Comment

As these become more popular, fuel tax revenue will continue to drop and thus, we are about to get a higher gas tax, more road usage fees and more toll roads.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    As these become more popular, fuel tax revenue will continue to drop and thus, we are about to get a higher gas tax, more road usage fees and more toll roads.
                    You always paint pretty pictures.

Comment

Electric motors are much more efficient, electricity is recoverable under braking, electricity doesn't have to be a burned fuel. There are a lot of reasons electricity CAN be green.

My back ground is automotive engineering and I say that you are beyond brain dead if you believe any of the crap that you just posted.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Oh, here we go
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                          My back ground is automotive engineering and I say that you are beyond brain dead if you believe any of the crap that you just posted.
                          Please tell us how he is wrong.
                          Originally posted by lincolnboy
                          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Just an FYI. Tesla does have a service center in Farmers Branch. The service centers are also in Austin and Houston with one coming to San Antonio. They have "Stores" in Houston and Austin with one coming to North Park. Of course you can't actually buy one there. Instead you have to order it online and it is delivered.

I've sat in one, haven't driven it yet, but it certainly feels like a $60-$90K car and it can blow the doors off pretty much any sedan out there in the 1/4 mile.

IMO electric cars are here to stay. They aren't yet there in terms of replacing ICE vehicles but that gap is closing faster than I thought. I think they will be the norm in 20 years IF super capacitor technology takes off. Lithium based batteries are not the answer. There simply isn't enough lithium in the world for the job. As noted earlier, lithium based batteries aren't exactly stable after an accident, even a minor one. It should be noted that they don't just go up in flames instantly. The fires usually occur after a bit of time. That is why there haven't been any injuries from fire. That said, it is a real drawback. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are after a few years of accidents pile up.

However I still side with the Texas dealers for the most part. Most dealers are good people. They work hard to sell their products and support their customers when issues occur. I've yet to have a real issue with any dealer or service dept. The only problem they have is that there are some real knuckleheads out there that pull the rest of them down.

IMO Musk will eventually bend on this one. As his cars get better, and more affordable, he is going to need those dealerships. I predict long term success for Tesla....

I really just wish he would get out of the car business entirely. I want him putting all his efforts into SpaceX. He has really turned the space industry on its ear with the Falcon 9 and Dragon. If next month's test landing is successful, it shake the aerospace industry to its core....

Comment

Agree on all points
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I find it funny that so many on here have claimed to be pro small government, and complain about dealerships on top of that, then come out in support of Texas banning auto sales that don't go through a dealer.
                                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                                X