Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a bit of help finding a screw. (Not that kind you degenerates)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a bit of help finding a screw. (Not that kind you degenerates)

Looking for a screw/bolt and have been Googling so much, I'm confusing the shit out of myself. Yes, I'm a maroon, suck at the googles, etc.

Diameter: 1/2"
    Thread: fine - 20tpi?
    length:3/8" - 1/2" (Could be longer, I'll cut it.)
    Head: Hex (preferred but I'll use what ever.)

Cant be nylon/plastic
    Something like this...
    Only need 2 of them but will buy in quantity if necessary. Also, not afraid of alternatives.

Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
    Looking for a screw/bolt and have been Googling so much, I'm confusing the shit out of myself. Yes, I'm a maroon, suck at the googles, etc.

Diameter: 1/2"
    Thread: fine - 20tpi?
    length:3/8" - 1/2" (Could be longer, I'll cut it.)
    Head: Hex (preferred but I'll use what ever.)

Cant be nylon/plastic
    Something like this...
    Only need 2 of them but will buy in quantity if necessary. Also, not afraid of alternatives.

It's called a set screw, and they are typically metric, you can get them at hardware stores or Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Never even thought about looking at Fastenal. Hit up Grainger and McMaster already and their selector sucked. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, set screw. Just never thought that name would stick at the 1/2" od level.

Thanks ya'll!
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Angle grinder and a cutoff wheel could make one easily in a bind, cut a slot for a flathead to drive it
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Yeah. Could go the "all thread" route and do just that w/ the grinder. However, I've got time and it's a non-pressurized plug for a horizontal band saw gear box. Going to drill/tap and put in gear fluid changing fill and drain holes. Turd polishing at its best. I just hate the thought of having to remove the gear box cover to change fluid. Talk about a mess waiting to happen.

Comment

I can't exactly picture what you're talking about, but I had a hydraulic pump that would leak, the fill port was on the side of the pump reservoir and it was a set screw with a hex head like pictured above. I didn't want to fix the leak because of where the piston was and a few other reasons, but pulling that plug out was precarious and the tight confines made refilling the fluid a messy challenge because of where it was mounted, so I bought a brass 90° elbow, male on both sides I believe, and a cap that sealed it up. I could more easily add fluid this way.

Larger diameters though- transmission fill & drain plugs come to mind.
            Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

if youre making fill/drain holes, why does it have to be a set screw? just use a regular bolt.

Comment

Yup, making a fill/drain hole.Would prefer not to have a head. Just a screw, hex for a clean look. If necessary, I'll go with a normal bolt but since I'm drill/tap/seal from scratch I figured I'd make it the way I want. 1/2”-20tpi by 3/8” long would be ideal.

Comment

How is it going to seal without a shoulder and gasket? Also, unless the threads are tapered it’ll just spin all of the way inside of whatever you’re filling.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
                    How is it going to seal without a shoulder and gasket? Also, unless the threads are tapered it’ll just spin all of the way inside of whatever you’re filling.
                    Loctite Red..
                    Something like this but hex head.
                    Sorry, huge image warning.

Comment

I get it. You’re looking for a NPT plug. It has tapered threads which bind and seal.

Comment

And THAT is why I continue to post here. Yes, that's what I'm hunting. Damn, now I need an NPT tap AND plug. Bigger than 3/8” od.

Comment

Hardware store or auto parts store for the pipe plug, 1/2npt is what you standard differential fill plugs are.

Comment

They do make allen head pipe thread plugs if you’re tight on room

Comment

Working...
                            X