No announcement yet.

Best small gun for CCW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by mustang_revival; 04-19-2017, 12:24 PM.
    WRX

Comment

Anyone have an Lcp II? Looks to have a lot of small improvements
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

concealed carry to me is a compromise between size of gun and how I carry and the clothes I wear. I wanted something I would carry on a regular basis. I personally get tired of the weight of bigger guns (higher caliber and round counts) plus a holster and thicker belt.

With all of that said I gravitated over time to the LCP and P3-At. I throw one of those in my front pocket almost every time I leave the house. If I am wearing more or heaver clothing I will still take one of them but will then carry a bigger gun also when wearing a jacket or heavy shirt.

I keep a gun in whatever car I am driving in a holster that I can use if I decide I need something bigger based on where I am going or feel the need plus what is in the pocket.

A single stack 9mm might be a good choice for me in the future but right now it is not. Any subcompact 9 is not going to be something you will want to put tons of rounds through just because of recoil. I shot mine till I felt it would not jam with fmj and then a box of whatever my carry ammo would be.

With all of the above said I am a fat guy and carrying bigger guns just was not comfortable sitting, driving etc. I buy guns that do not have safety per say (P3-AT, LCP) so having a holster is important in my opinion. Just ask Plaxico Burris. YMMV and I am sure others have their own opinion.

Comment

I used to carry the shield 9 and was happy with it. But realized because of me being a fat bastard I can just as easily carry my full size Glock 22 IWB.
          sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
          🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
            I used to carry the shield 9 and was happy with it. But realized because of me being a fat bastard I can just as easily carry my full size Glock 22 IWB.
            lets be honest, you could carry a full size Desert Eagle in them love handles!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              lets be honest, you could carry a full size Desert Eagle in them love handles!
              Yup.
              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

You guys carrying .380's, do you feel the round is adequate enough? What round do you guys carry? The smallest gun I sometimes carry is a Glock 43. Is the 42 noticeably smaller? What about compared to an LCP?

The 43 I carry when I can't carry my normal 1911/Glock 21, like when I'm in a suite or tie or when riding the bike. I'm toying with the idea of a .380 as an occasional backup to when I'm carrying a full size pistol. Just wondering if it's a noticeable difference to just carrying the 43.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                  You guys carrying .380's, do you feel the round is adequate enough? What round do you guys carry? The smallest gun I sometimes carry is a Glock 43. Is the 42 noticeably smaller? What about compared to an LCP?

The 43 I carry when I can't carry my normal 1911/Glock 21, like when I'm in a suite or tie or when riding the bike. I'm toying with the idea of a .380 as an occasional backup to when I'm carrying a full size pistol. Just wondering if it's a noticeable difference to just carrying the 43.
                  I think the lcp is still smaller but I dont have one to compare sizes. I think the round is good enough because I look at the two side by side and the 9mm only seems to have a longer case but the bullet looks very close in size. I have not put calipers to them too be sure.

I use Corbon as my carry ammo. I feel 380 is good enough but each to his own. LCP does not take much planning to throw in my pocket and still seems to be my go to carry gun.

Comment

The LCP is the most comfortable cc I own, out of the XDS45, k2p, pf9, makarov, stubby wheel guns, etc

Comment

You guys carrying .380's, do you feel the round is adequate enough?

My experience with 380 is that... I don't like it. Shot several different ones over the years. All jammed at least once at some point while I was shooting. Just my experience. I don't know what the deal is with that round. I might be tempted to trust the glock 380 for a carry. I'd have to spend a lot of time shooting it first though.
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        My experience with 380 is that... I don't like it. Shot several different ones over the years. All jammed at least once at some point while I was shooting. Just my experience. I don't know what the deal is with that round. I might be tempted to trust the glock 380 for a carry. I'd have to spend a lot of time shooting it first though.
                        that is the rub. If you do not feel comfortable with something then you should not carry it. You have to have confidence in your setup.

I do practice for jams by loading a empty case or a snap cap mixed in with what I am shooting.

Comment

You guys carrying .380's, do you feel the round is adequate enough? What round do you guys carry? .

I carry Federal Hydrashok 90gr JHP in mine. I've tested Hornady 90gr FTX and Winchester PDX1 95gr and have had 0 problems feeding or ejecting with my P3at. I'm not planning to take on a drug cartel or to go crime fighting with my .380.....just to provide close range self protection if someone or something like a dog tries to attack me. I'm fairly confident it will put a hole in whatever I shoot with it...while it may not be a huge intimidating chrome 44 magnum..I bet displaying it against a human threat would probably result in them finding an easier target. If not...Id bet 7 rounds of JHP will hurt enough to stop them.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                            I carry Federal Hydrashok 90gr JHP in mine. I've tested Hornady 90gr FTX and Winchester PDX1 95gr and have had 0 problems feeding or ejecting with my P3at. I'm not planning to take on a drug cartel or to go crime fighting with my .380.....just to provide close range self protection if someone or something like a dog tries to attack me. I'm fairly confident it will put a hole in whatever I shoot with it...while it may not be a huge intimidating chrome 44 magnum..I bet displaying it against a human threat would probably result in them finding an easier target. If not...Id bet 7 rounds of JHP will hurt enough to stop them.
                            I'd like to like 380s. But surely others here have heard of their jamming issue. Aside from my own experiences, I've noticed people talking about 380s jamming significantly more than other rounds. I've heard all kinds of reasons, mostly being "its a small round".
                            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              I'd like to like 380s. But surely others here have heard of their jamming issue. Aside from my own experiences, I've noticed people talking about 380s jamming significantly more than other rounds. I've heard all kinds of reasons, mostly being "its a small round".
                              I've heard that too....but I can say I have never had an issue with my little Kel-Tec and my dad says he has never had an issue with his LCP. I keep my handguns very clean and generously oiled...maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                                I've heard that too....but I can say I have never had an issue with my little Kel-Tec and my dad says he has never had an issue with his LCP. I keep my handguns very clean and generously oiled...maybe that has something to do with it.
                                My ejector broke on my Lcp, sent in to ruger and since I've put 150 rounds through it with zero issues
                                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X