B-17 "Nine-O-Nine" crashed - total loss, multiple fatalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-17 "Nine-O-Nine" crashed - total loss, multiple fatalities

Nine-O-Nine, operated by the Collings Foundation, took off at 945am today in Connecticut.
    950am called the tower and noted a problem, and was not gaining altitude
    Attempted to circle back
    Upon touchdown, lost control and stuck a deicing facility at 954am.
    Sounds like an engine fire.

Flight records from FlightAware shows the plane had traveled about 8 miles (13 kilometers) and reached an altitude of 800 feet (244 meters).

In recordings of audio transmissions, the pilot told an air traffic controller that he needed to return to the airport and land immediately. Asked why, he said: “Number four engine, we’d like to return and blow it out.”

Brian Hamer, of Norton, Massachusetts, said he was less than a mile away when he saw a B-17, “which you don’t normally see,” fly directly overhead, apparently trying without success to gain altitude.

One of the engines began to sputter, and smoke came out the back, Hamer said. The plane made a wide turn and headed back toward the airport, he said.
    The won't confirm the number of fatalities yet, but there were 13 on board (10 passengers, 3 crew, plus 1 in the deicing facility it hit, and one statement from an official was, "we have a crash, we have a burn, victims are very difficult to identify, and we don't want to make a mistake"
    Unconfirmed, I read that at least 7 died. 6 were taken to the hospital, 3 critical.

ATC recording (93012 is the B17) - https://forums.liveatc.net/index.php...0;attach=10530
    ATC asks how they're doing, they respond "we're gettin' there" then the next radio calls are ATC telling another flight to cancel approach and then annoucning the airport is closed

I flew in this plane back in 2008, and it was an amazing experience. This sucks. Only 9 left flying now.

Last edited by Strychnine; 10-02-2019, 07:37 PM.

Heard about this this morning, thought about posting, but was to saddened by it to take the effort. this really sucks a lot.

Comment

Sad on all fronts.

Comment

Eyewitness reports are saying it was flying super low but no visible smoke.
        And now it seems they never made the runway.

Latest rumor from "people close to the operation" is that it was filled with Jet A instead of 100LL... #4 had an issue causing the turnaround then when #3 went down also (right before landing) it pulled them hard right, into the deicing facility 500 ft right of runway centerline.

Also, in the ATC recording they called a #4 problem but people at the airport reported seeing a #3 problem.

Comment

Hard to imagine that it would even be able to get airborne with the wrong fuel. I was just reading that on August 17, 1943 we lost (60) B-17's on one raid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwei...nsburg_mission

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
            Hard to imagine that it would even be able to get airborne with the wrong fuel. I was just reading that on August 17, 1943 we lost (60) B-17's on one raid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwei...nsburg_mission
            I was thinking about that also (density differences would make the fuels separate, the Jet A would sink to the bottom, problem would be noticed before takeoff), but it turns out there are quite a few cases of piston planes getting Jet A and getting airborne before experiencing problems and eating shit on the turnaround.

NTSB: Wrong fuel pumped into plane caused deadly crash in Las Cruces

Shortly after take off, one of the medical personnel on board called a medical dispatcher to notify them the plane was going back to the Las Cruces after smoke was detected from the right engine.
            A witness driving westbound on Interstate 10 told investigators the plane was flying about 200 feet above ground level.
            Preliminary report confirms wrong fuel in Spokane plane crash
            Pure jet fuel is clear or straw-colored, while aviation gas is blue. But a mixture of the two is usually still blue, Pierce said, which can fool pilots. “A piston pilot who believes he’s getting regular aviation fuel might be fooled into thinking it’s pure when in fact it’s contaminated with jet fuel,” Pierce said.
            Wrong fuel put in plane that crashed near Thompson, TSB confirms

A Navajo Chieftain aircraft, operated by Keystone Air Service, crashed shortly after takeoff from the airport near Thompson, Man., Sept. 15. The crew turned the plane around and alerted the Thompson Flight Service there was a problem and would be returning. The plane crashed into the trees about 1.6 kilometres southwest of the runway
            Use of wrong fuel contributes to crash

The pilot reported that, during cruise flight, he observed that the engine would not advance past 2,100 rpm, which was 300 rpm below the RV-7’s normal cruise power setting. The pilot’s attempts to troubleshoot the engine issue were unsuccessful, and he chose to conduct a precautionary landing near Bartow, Georgia. Shortly after, the oil temperature increased, and oil covered the windshield.

During the precautionary landing on a dirt road, the left wingtip hit the ground and the airplane cart-wheeled, which resulted in substantial damage to the wings and rudder. After the accident, about 10 gallons of 90-octane automotive gasoline (auto gas) were drained from the airplane.

Comment

What rocket scientist put Jet A in instead of avgas?

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                What rocket scientist put Jet A in instead of avgas?
                Having dealt with aircraft refuelers for 20+ years, one thing remains consistent... they all seem to favor double-digit IQ numbers. Seriously, they are not the brightest bulb in the aviation chandelier.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

A friend of mine owns the world's largest bearing manufacturing company and is located in Germany. We were outside of his house once and a B-17 kept flying over about every 15 minutes. The third time it came over I turned and looked at him and pointed at the plane and asked him if it made him nervous. He understood the joke and nearly choked on his beer laughing. It's going to be a sad day when the last one of those stops flying.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

From GarageJournal:

Released audio indicates pilot/crew radioed for 'return to airfield' and something about '#4 engine'.

On the landing attempt, report is that the plane 'clipped' an ILS structure, veered to the right, and then went into the deicing station.

A few more pics and some more info:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/02/7-conf...mber-may-rise/
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

Terrible news. Coupled with the drama going on with the USS Texas, our old relics are disappearing fast.

Crazy to think how quickly we scrapped thousands of warships, tanks, and aircraft post WW2 as we deescalated from wartime production.

Comment

I was about to do a video where I restored this plane and then finally attempted to fly it from the first person camera in the cockpit. There's a good chance it's going to eat shit on that flight. Not sure right now is the correct time to be posting videos like that.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                          I was about to do a video where I restored this plane and then finally attempted to fly it from the first person camera in the cockpit. There's a good chance it's going to eat shit on that flight. Not sure right now is the correct time to be posting videos like that.
                          That's a tough one... it's a trending topic...and not like you're making fun of the victims or anything.

But the internet is all about faux rage right now

Comment

Matt, I remember about 8 to 10 years ago you invited a couple of us to join you up at the air field in north Fort Worth to ride in a B-17 and was wondering if it was this one? I was so close to making that flight but work had me cancel out at the last minute.

This is so very sad in all respects. RIP to those lost.

David

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                              Having dealt with aircraft refuelers for 20+ years, one thing remains consistent... they all seem to favor double-digit IQ numbers. Seriously, they are not the brightest bulb in the aviation chandelier.
                              Fuelers are the worst. It's like an everday ordeal with those guys.
                              2006 Civic SI
                              2009 Pilot
                              1988 GT
                              CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Working...
                              X