No announcement yet.

New home build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a drawback. It can be done, it is just more difficult. To me, it makes it easier to run stuff after the fact. With out plan, there is very little that I could imagine we would need ran down an exterior wall. Interior walls are MUCH easier because you can see everything. No blown insulation hiding top plates, having to dig around if you want to add a light fixture here or there, etc.

The #1 reason I never re-wire our current home for hardw ired TV's and better cable/internet locations was because I didn't want yo dig around through the insulation!

I haven't seen any technical data or studies, but I would imagine having the air handler in a conditioned space is more efficient that hanging in a 170-200 degree attic. It also eliminates the need for roof penetrations for venting, thus reducing the chances for roof leaks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
      That is a drawback. It can be done, it is just more difficult. To me, it makes it easier to run stuff after the fact. With out plan, there is very little that I could imagine we would need ran down an exterior wall. Interior walls are MUCH easier because you can see everything. No blown insulation hiding top plates, having to dig around if you want to add a light fixture here or there, etc.

The #1 reason I never re-wire our current home for hardw ired TV's and better cable/internet locations was because I didn't want yo dig around through the insulation!

I haven't seen any technical data or studies, but I would imagine having the air handler in a conditioned space is more efficient that hanging in a 170-200 degree attic. It also eliminates the need for roof penetrations for venting, thus reducing the chances for roof leaks.

I can grab the tool sometime the next few weeks. That thing is badass. Framers love it because no cords or hoses AND no ladders. Much safer conditions. I'll give you a shout next week or two and maybe we can grab lunch. I'm hoping you can set us up to demo and take some photos of this new shear brace concept.

I'll have to look. I have a few articles on unvented attics. It is more efficient for sure. You just have to size everything properly with the AC unit.

I have seen people put PVC in foamed walls before foaming. You can basically put them in a few places per room if you want and would have access to them later if you want to run wire. Just remember where they are by measurement and map, cut the drywall, and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        I can grab the tool sometime the next few weeks. That thing is badass. Framers love it because no cords or hoses AND no ladders. Much safer conditions. I'll give you a shout next week or two and maybe we can grab lunch. I'm hoping you can set us up to demo and take some photos of this new shear brace concept.

I'll have to look. I have a few articles on unvented attics. It is more efficient for sure. You just have to size everything properly with the AC unit.

I have seen people put PVC in foamed walls before foaming. You can basically put them in a few places per room if you want and would have access to them later if you want to run wire. Just remember where they are by measurement and map, cut the drywall, and you're good to go.
        Sounds good. I am officing out of the truck in Richardson, so I'm closer than Forney and Royse City.

Yeah, that tool was bad ass. I can see why framers like it. Would be a TON faster than hurricane ties as well. I would like to see a cost comparison between hurricane ties and screws, especially if there is a labor factor in there.q

Comment

FINALLY, some progress.

Last edited by black2002ls; 09-06-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Not bad. We've been looking but it seems like I either need to move way out or just make double to get what I want.

Comment

Yeah, it is getting quite costly to build. Lumber prices jumped SIGNIFICANTLY, over the last month!

Comment

Yeah, it is getting quite costly to build. Lumber prices jumped SIGNIFICANTLY, over the last month!

OSB went from like $7 a sheet last year to around $30, when I have looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  OSB went from like $7 a sheet last year to around $30, when I have looked.
                  Yeah, I'm hearing people say something like a 17-20% increase in the last month

Comment

Mills are backlogged (pun intended) due to COVID shutdown. No one predicted the boom in building to keep rolling. It's to the point now where some multifamily projects are being canceled because those building it will lose millions as they took the job at old lumber prices. Developers do not want to shell the extra coin, so crews are backing out of jobs. It needs to get fixed or we're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      Mills are backlogged (pun intended) due to COVID shutdown. No one predicted the boom in building to keep rolling. It's to the point now where some multifamily projects are being canceled because those building it will lose millions as they took the job at old lumber prices. Developers do not want to shell the extra coin, so crews are backing out of jobs. It needs to get fixed or we're screwed.
                      That is not good! :/

Comment

Shingles are on. The small roof over the bump oit at the garage is supposed to be metal, so they will have to re-do that. Still waiting on the cornice crew to finish up some details and set the cedar posts. Hopefully they can get the spray foam done by the end of the week and be ready for drywall next week.

Comment

Well, we are almost through the muddle of the process and getting close to finishout.

They got the exterior painted and flooring installed. I'm hoping they get trim installed by Monday or Tuesday and get started with interior paint.

Comment

Cabinet pictures.

We tried to recreate some of the features we have in our current home. We currently have utensil drawers beside the cooktop. I will build some inserts for utensil cups for spatulas, spoons, etc. We also have 3 wide drawers currently for misc stuff, junk drawer, tupperware, etc. The only feature we didn't add into these cabinets was a spice rack pull out. We didn't really have anywhere that it seemed to be functional and worth the added cost.

Last edited by black2002ls; 11-23-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Moving along. They have almost completed paint on the inside. I dropped light fixtures off this morning to be hung and took a picture of the kitchen.

I REALLY wanted to do a butcher block top on the island, but we ran short on time and due to the dimensions, something was going to have to be custom made.

In addition, the biggest piece of the puzzle should fall today. We got a full price offer on our home yesterday, so that erases that question mark.

Comment

Fixtures went in yesterday. The only thing missing is the fan for the family room. I ran into a few issues and had we had to find a new fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X