Autocad - Plasma cam stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocad - Plasma cam stuff

Anyone run autocad or plasma cam stuff ? How hard is it to learn ? My new boss was talking about buying a plasma machine. Thinking I might see if I can be the "go to guy" for the shop. Is it a huge PITA ? Probably look at a system from Lincoln .

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
    Anyone run autocad or plasma cam stuff ? How hard is it to learn ? My new boss was talking about buying a plasma machine. Thinking I might see if I can be the "go to guy" for the shop. Is it a huge PITA ? Probably look at a system from Lincoln .
    CAM for anything 2D is pretty damn easy so that won't be a challenge but is certainly a good way to get ahead.

Autocad is a steeper learning curve but still not overwhelming. I actually sketch everything in my 3D CAD software and save a dxf from there. Most 2D CAM software will read dxf files.

Do it!!!

Comment

Plain jane, vanilla AutoCAD isn't bad at all. I've sent 4 or 5 completely green guys to a 3 day crash course provided by the community college district and every one of them was able to use AutoCAD at the end of the course. Were they amazingly proficient? No. But they knew the basics.

The class is around $500 and it's a Mon, Wed, Fri course.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll see what the boss is going to do. He's pretty stoked about it, so I expect he'll do it soon. We've got some real high end builds coming up.
        Was doing some research this morning. Looks like Lincoln runs a 3 day class in Reno pretty regular. I bet the boss would buy off on sending me to that.. Its $400.
        Last edited by dcs13; 12-08-2018, 08:10 AM. Reason: added

Comment

I dont know if I'd do the Lincoln course unless you get the Lincoln table. I could be wrong but I believe they have their own software for their tables. Their tables are quite expensive too.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            I dont know if I'd do the Lincoln course unless you get the Lincoln table. I could be wrong but I believe they have their own software for their tables. Their tables are quite expensive too.
            Our shop has a deal with Lincoln , if we get anything, it will be from there .

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              Plain jane, vanilla AutoCAD isn't bad at all. I've sent 4 or 5 completely green guys to a 3 day crash course provided by the community college district and every one of them was able to use AutoCAD at the end of the course. Were they amazingly proficient? No. But they knew the basics.

The class is around $500 and it's a Mon, Wed, Fri course.
              Good price, wish there was something that of a price for TBC.

Comment

Working...
              X