No announcement yet.

One Wire Alternator High Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Havent taken it to autozone yet, but I did get a chance to play with it a bit more. Without the car running, I see the same voltage across the battery and at the alternator positive post, about 13v.

However, while running with the engine warm and the fans running the battery sees about 14.5 v. The starter solenoid positive post (where the wire from the alternator and battery meet) sees about the same reading. But taking a voltage reading from the alternator post while running shows like 16-17 v.

I'm lost
    Last edited by Torinoman; 01-31-2018, 08:19 PM.
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

If the wire or wires are too small for the distance you have them ran you will get a significant drop from the alternator to the battery. You want 14.5ish everywhere. But that doesn’t explain why you’re getting such high readings at the alternator. Everything I know and have read is that is too high. I personally would get it tested before doing much else.

Comment

I thought about it being too small but its not hot or anything while running.

Yeah, gotta get it tested

Comment

Took it to autozone this morning and it tested good. We ran it twice to be sure.

However, they had to hook it up as a regular 3 wire to test.

Hmmmm

Comment

No more ideas on this?

Comment

How did they hook it up as a 3 wire? My one wire, only has a hook up for ‘one wire’.

Comment

Its a GM 10si, so it still has the 2 wire connection but it's normally covered with a rubber plug. Just remove the plug to reveal the connections and connect it to the machine. Did it affect the testing? IDK. But they had no idea how to hook it up otherwise

Comment

Made a new 4ga positive wire for the alternator - same weird results. 15-16 v at the alternator but 14.5 v at the battery.

I even attached a wire to the voltage sensing post and hooked that up with no changes.

Comment

Your Ford Torino is letting you know that it doesn't like GM parts on it.

It seems like you have a wire or connection problem somewhere. Recheck everything.

Comment

Lol, I'm close to putting a new 3g on it like SVO suggested but I hate to just throw money at the problem with no promise of a resolution.

I checked everything I can think of. Battery has a good connections. Its grounded to the body in the trunk with 2ga wire and a 2ga positive running to the front.

The engine has two 4ga grounds now. It previously only had one but I added a second just in case. The alternator has a new 4ga positive wire. Without the engine running it gets the same voltage as what I measure across the battery posts. I think I might swing by the alternator place in the morning and have them confirm it's correct.

Comment

I took it back to the alternator place and we'll see what they say

Comment

What are you using to measure the voltage with?
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Multimeter

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                              I took it back to the alternator place and we'll see what they say
                              Was the alternator place able to determine the problem and get it working correctly?

Comment

The guy seemwd puzzled but he changed the rotor thinking that might fix it. I havent had a chance to install it and test it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X