Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archery

My son is in cub scouts and is really interested in archery after doing it a few times at some of the camps. I’ve been looking at kid bow and arrow sets and they all seem to top out at 4-7. Being 8, I don’t think he will enjoy a small set. I know nothing about archery. Anyone have any advice? What size bow should it he get at this age. I don’t want to break the bank to be honest.

Cabela's has some good youth equipment. Youtube some videos to help you determine the length of arrows he needs or ask someone at the store.

Comment

Check out my friend Dave, he does this stuff for a living. Makes bows, arrows, and all of the equipment you would need. Plus he is an incredible archer. He can probably point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
        Cabela's has some good youth equipment. Youtube some videos to help you determine the length of arrows he needs or ask someone at the store.
        Good advice. That’s where I got my PSE recurve, and for the money, it’s a great piece of equipment.

Find out what kind of archery he likes and go in that direction. I knew I wasn’t going to use mine for hunting or the olympics or anything so I went old school as opposed to compound. I like the recurve because there are no sights. You have to do it by feel and it’s quite rewarding to improve at it. At the same time, it’s pretty intuitive.

Comment

There are cheap youth compound bows out there. I think they are designed for high school competition so everyone had the same bow and they work pretty good. A friend of mines daughter is 11 and she uses one.
          Originally posted by Marisa
          we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Find a local club. They usually help new members get set up and won't sell you things you don't need.

Kids take to archery quickly.

Comment

Seems like it would be better to start him out on a recurve vs. compound, along the same lines of learning to drive a manual transmission car when first starting out. If you can get good with a recurve then a compound bow should then be easy, if that's the longer term goal (hunting and whatnot).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Seems like it would be better to start him out on a recurve vs. compound, along the same lines of learning to drive a manual transmission car when first starting out. If you can get good with a recurve then a compound bow should then be easy, if that's the longer term goal (hunting and whatnot).
                I've heard the other way also. Nearly everyone says it takes much longer to become proficient with a recurve, so if the kid wants to actually be good (as opposed to screwing around once or twice then picking up the next hobby) the risk of frustration and walking away are higher also.

Just a thought.

Comment

Hit up Fort Grard in weatherford TX. They can answer any questions you have and get you set up with just what you want. Those guys know their stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE
                    That’s where I got my PSE recurve, and for the money, it’s a great piece of equipment.
                    I'll be back in FW the first weekend in July for a wedding. I'll bring my bow, wanna go shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      I've heard the other way also. Nearly everyone says it takes much longer to become proficient with a recurve, so if the kid wants to actually be good (as opposed to screwing around once or twice then picking up the next hobby) the risk of frustration and walking away are higher also.

Just a thought.
                      That sounds more like a 'barrier to entry' thing that a marketing team would come up with so they can keep interested parties engaged (so they spend more money). More of a sociological approach. Not necessarily the same as what is best for developing the skill.

Did you hear that from Mark Zuckerberg??

Comment

Compound anyone can shoot well with little time imho once the basics are tought. Recurve not so much.

Schools that teach archery use compounds. Usually a Mathews brand bow. That is low cost and everyone cam shoot.

Comment

Working...
                        X