No announcement yet.

My Remodel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did smaller subway tiles in one of our guest bathrooms, talk about misery..

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      Have you done mosaic before? God they piss me the fuck off!
      These are on a mat. So the most difficult part is keeping the rows straight and the end pieces that I will need to cut to fill in.

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
      I did smaller subway tiles in one of our guest bathrooms, talk about misery..
      This hasn't been that bad, the key is the plumb lines. Snap/draw a plumb line at the center, or your starting point, then another 1.5 tiles out from that and use it for your offset row, good to go! Now, all of the cut tiles, I'm not looking forward to that!
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• cutting wasn't bad at all, I used a cheap harbor freight wet saw for most of my tile work. the master bath/shower is gonna get 12x24 tiles though lol

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          cutting wasn't bad at all, I used a cheap harbor freight wet saw for most of my tile work. the master bath/shower is gonna get 12x24 tiles though lol
          If you are laying them yourself, check for bowing. Almost all 12x24's have some degree of bowing that can cause some big headaches when setting them. I'm going to lay ours on 1/3 offset to help reduce/eliminate the issue.

Comment

• yeah I'll do the same, 1/3 or 1/2 offset. also worth mention that in a box of 12x24 you'll often find a few that are shorter or longer than spec. dealt w that when we did the floor in the kitchen

Comment

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              Glad to see you put up some redgard. For the price, its very cheap insurance for showers that are very prone to leak.
              It really was a no brainer, honestly. Thank you for the suggestion. I had planned on red guarding the niches, as that was the place most prone to leak. With 1 gallon being the smallest quantity I could buy, I just kept rolling. 2 coats on all of the walls up to about 7 feet and the niches got a 3rd coat. All seams got silicone as did all screw heads.

Comment

• I finally got a chance to put some more tile up. I got close to the end of the bucket of thinset and spent some time working with one of the niches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

• That’s coming out great man!
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

That’s coming out great man!
                    Thanks. I'm hoping to finish up the mahority of the tile tomorrow.

Comment

• Looking good man. I like putting up subway tile. If you have a cheaper scoring type cutter it goes very fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        Looking good man. I like putting up subway tile. If you have a cheaper scoring type cutter it goes very fast.
                        That is what I'm using. Once I had a work flow down, they started going up pretty quick.

Comment

• Well, I finally got some time to work on the shower. The more I complete, the more I find things I should have done different. The niches should have been a bit taller to minimize tile cuts. As I was laying full tiles, I didn't use "spacers" where cut tiles would go. This resulted in some sagging of tjose tiles and not, issues with tiles fitting. I also should have paid more attention to how I centered the pattern on each wall. I have ended up with very narrow pieces of tile along each end of the shower head wall.

Here is how it sits now. A couple of hours of tile work left, most of which will be spent cutting and fitting. Then let that set up so I can grout it, set the shower head and valve, then we can use it. I still need to figure out what we are doing for glass.

After that, it is on to the floor.

Comment

• Still looks pretty damn awesome!
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Still looks pretty damn awesome!
                              Thanks. I am BEYOND ready to use that shower again! I've probably got an hour of cutting and another hour of tiling what is left. It'll take a few hours to grout it and clean it up. Caulk it all in and wait.

Comment

• Well, it is damn near done! I still nead to wipe it down again to clear some grout haze, seal the grout, and caulk the corners and then it is done. Should be able to use it Tuesday night or Wednesday!

Comment

Working...
                                X