No announcement yet.

Options for carrying a full size spare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for carrying a full size spare?

After learning first hand (not me) the need to have a good spare tire, I'm thinking about buying an extra wheel and mounting the same size tire I have on my truck, a 295/20. I have no idea if this would mount underneath the truck where the stock spare goes or will I need to carry it a different way? Ideas?

Bed mount baha style

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
      Bed mount baha style
      Couldn't do a baja style mount because of the bed cover. And I was hoping for some suggestions for a trailer hitch mount or possibly in the original location underneath the bed, but it's looking more like I'll be mounting it flat on the bed somehow which I was hoping to avoid (I usually have the bed loaded full with camping stuff). Guess I need to get better organized.

Comment

Not cheap but a good option:

Home of the Hitchgate and High-Quality Offroad and Overland Gear. Made with pride so you can get lost & be ready.

I looked for something like this when I had the Suburban but nothing decent existed.

Comment

Have 35/12-50x17 mounted under my bed of Silverado don’t know if your will clear depends on how the exhaust is ran . Have you tried it under bed to see if it will clear?

Comment

Craig, I had seen a couple of setups like this that I'm looking into just because I don't want the spare to eat up room in the bed of the truck. I also talking to Jared and he said I might be able to fit it in the stock location as well. Thanks Jesse, buddy of mine suggested this as well. Guess the next step is to see if it will even fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              Not cheap but a good option:

Home of the Hitchgate and High-Quality Offroad and Overland Gear. Made with pride so you can get lost & be ready.

I looked for something like this when I had the Suburban but nothing decent existed.
              I was super close to pulling the trigger on one of these a while back, and now I'm very glad that I didn't. I'm reading lots of feedback now on the FB overlanding pages of guys who got this (and other stuff from Wilco) that ended up having all kinds of build quality issues, followed by similar customer service issues. Most of them are just running 37" spares, whereas I will run a 42" for now and eventually a 44".

I really want my bed space back, so I'll probably have a custom swing-out made at some point. The 40" I have in there now takes up a stupid amount of room.

Last edited by jluv; 10-29-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

That's a big biatch!

Comment

I like the new Undercover RidgeLander bed cover. It comes with a T-Slot track system that allows you to put a rack or cargo tray for your spare tire and other stuff. The only negative I can say about this Undercover tonneau cover is the price.

Comment

Originally posted by renold5 View Post
                    I like the new Undercover RidgeLander bed cover. It comes with a T-Slot track system that allows you to put a rack or cargo tray for your spare tire and other stuff. The only negative I can say about this Undercover tonneau cover is the price.

Unfortunately I spent a lot of money on a Bakflip bed cover so this won't really work for me. Would also be a PITA having to take it off every time I needed to access the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                      Unfortunately I spent a lot of money on a Bakflip bed cover so this won't really work for me. Would also be a PITA having to take it off every time I needed to access the bed.
                      Maybe a bedslide and put the spare all the way at the back? That way if you need the spare you don't have to drag everything out.

Comment

i throw my spare in the bed and then i constantly move it when i'm loading my bed

Comment

You could always go old school and do a front mount, with a beefier aftermarket front bumper or guard.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                            i throw my spare in the bed and then i constantly move it when i'm loading my bed
                            Probably what I will do whenever I get around to doing a spare full size wheel. With the limited amount of time I spend off road and there not being a great need to have a more readily accessible spare, taking up bed space is what i will do. Just need to secure it like what Jared has done.

Comment

Jose, do you have a welder or access to one? Dude on YouTube “G2skier” has one that he built for less than $200. It’s a hitch mount one.

Comment

Working...
                              X