Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local transmission shop to rebuild 4L60e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local transmission shop to rebuild 4L60e?

I bought a one owner Chebbie truck to use as a farm truck. It has 200k with the 5.3, motor sounds great but it needs a transmission rebuild. I'm in Collin county and it does run, just won't shift from 2nd to 3rd, any one have a place or recommend a trustworthy place?

BTW in case anyone was wondering, I've checked all fuses and replaced the Throttle Body Sensor, but the trans fluid smells burnt, thought I'd risk a hundo before spending several hundos...
    Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-30-2020, 12:55 AM.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

If you don't mind a small drive.......My buddy Davey is now at

Not sure he will pick it up from BFE!
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Go see Jeff at Plano Transmission. He's done great work for me for about 30 years now. Very honest and does awesome work. 972-423-3666
      I live west of Austin and he will still get my work.

Comment

That issue could also be caused by a burned out driver in the ECM...I had the same issue with my Trans Am and swapped the transmission for a known good one and it did the same thing. Ended up being a damaged ECM. There is a shop in Grand Prairie that repaired the computer for about a hundred bucks and it solved the problem. Just throwing it out there.

Comment

You have a farm now?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            If you don't mind a small drive.......My buddy Davey is now at

Not sure he will pick it up from BFE!
            Not sure it will make it that far.

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
            Go see Jeff at Plano Transmission. He's done great work for me for about 30 years now. Very honest and does awesome work. 972-423-3666
            I have talked to him, decent price and close to me. Kinda of scared to drive through Plano tho...

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
            That issue could also be caused by a burned out driver in the ECM...I had the same issue with my Trans Am and swapped the transmission for a known good one and it did the same thing. Ended up being a damaged ECM. There is a shop in Grand Prairie that repaired the computer for about a hundred bucks and it solved the problem. Just throwing it out there.
            I hope that place I take it to, does a diagnostic on it first.

Originally posted by Jose View Post
            You have a farm now?
            Does 1.3 acres count as a farm?

I'm always renting the Lowes pick up truck, decided I needed to buy something to haul shit. I need 25 bags of mulch, that shit ain't fitting in my Explorer Sport or Stangs. I took my friend Brent to buy this truck in 2005, hes had it ever since, other than being filthy hes takin decent care of it. I gave him $500.xx.
            Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-30-2020, 02:04 PM.
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have a line on a 4l60e for $400 if you'd rather do a swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                Not sure it will make it that far.

I have talked to him, decent price and close to me. Kinda of scared to drive through Plano tho...

I hope that place I take it to, does a diagnostic on it first.

Does 1.3 acres count as a farm?

I'm always renting the Lowes pick up truck, decided I needed to buy something to haul shit. I need 25 bags of mulch, that shit ain't fitting in my Explorer Sport or Stangs. I took my friend Brent to buy this truck in 2005, hes had it ever since, other than being filthy hes takin decent care of it. I gave him $500.xx.
                I had six bags of plastic mulch, two chain saw blades and some weed block in the back of my Z3 today. Stupid part of that is I have two trucks!
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  I took my friend Brent to buy this truck in 2005, hes had it ever since, other than being filthy hes takin decent care of it. I gave him $500.xx.
                  The fuck you did, pinche.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    You have a farm now?
                    God damn white people!

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                      He did a clutch in my SVT Focus a few years ago. I was very happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                        I think you're talking about a quad driver module, GM stopped using that setup around 1992. They basically had 4 relays in the PCM that controlled all of the solenoids in the car. So if one solenoid or harness shorts out it'd fry that driver module.

Being a 4L60E behind a 5.3 it's at least a 2000 model with OBD2 so it's going to have a more modern PCM. With burned fluid and no 3-4 it's going to be a cracked direct drum which is common. It blows all the line pressure out of the side of the drum instead of through the clutch packs.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, i'll be taking it Plano Transmission, Jim who answered the phone seems like a very knowledgeable guy and the price isn't too bad and one week turnaround. In another time, I would yank that bitch out myself and get an LKQ or rebuilt one, but I can't be wrenching in this new hood I live in now. That and I'm old, I might break a hip or some shit...

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                            I think you're talking about a quad driver module, GM stopped using that setup around 1992. They basically had 4 relays in the PCM that controlled all of the solenoids in the car. So if one solenoid or harness shorts out it'd fry that driver module.

Being a 4L60E behind a 5.3 it's at least a 2000 model with OBD2 so it's going to have a more modern PCM. With burned fluid and no 3-4 it's going to be a cracked direct drum which is common. It blows all the line pressure out of the side of the drum instead of through the clutch packs.
                            Mine was a 94. Transmission shop I went to in Dville said it was possibly a solenoid but wouldn't know until they tried to replace it..I didn't have the money at the time for an expensive transmission repair that MIGHT not solve the problem. When I swapped the transmission and is still did it I gave up because I was out of money. Also broke my finger while changing the transmission when the torque converter fell off the input shaft onto my hand. GODDAMN I was done with that car. A good friend of mine who had been wanting the car for several years wanted to buy the car and agreed to my price and took the chance on the ECM being the problem. It was.

Comment

Well, I got my truck back from Plano Transmission, truck is running great, $1930.XX out the door, that also included the TQ convertor and the front, rear main seal on the 5.3 motor.
                              Can't say say enough about the service and quality, it took seven days and it is shifting like new.

Comment

Working...
                              X