Wire bulkhead connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
    Yeah, I noticed the tool for those were high as hell.

Shit, I just might have to stick to the "normal" way!
    What's the normal way?
    A tiny flat blade screw drier, small needlenose pliers, and a minute amount of solder?

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
      What's the normal way?
      A tiny flat blade screw drier, small needlenose pliers, and a minute amount of solder?
      lol, no - a pass through grommet! 1$

Comment

Yeah, that would be way easier!!

Comment

Mouser electronics in Mansfield.

Comment

Dude, don't do it! LOL

I couldn't imagine wiring anytihng w/o large connectors, either barrel or bulkhead, especially if you plan to do any work on it that has even the most remote possibility of needing to get around that wiring.

The cost of one connector and some labor up front is the difference between this control panel being removed by 4 bolts and one connector... or by pulling every wire in the harness through and clear.

Comment

I agree. It would be much more simple maintenance wise to use a bulkhead, but man - they are proud of those things. What is the one pictured from?

I completely forgot I had several of these laying around. They are from some sort of military power supply station that was scrapped. The only problem with them is that they are already pinned and some of the holes are not occupied. Is there a way to get spare pins, or are there just so many you'd never get the right ones? FWIW, the rubber insulator thing is glued in place, so it would be impossible to get them apart to see what they are.

Comment

I agree. It would be much more simple maintenance wise to use a bulkhead, but man - they are proud of those things. What is the one pictured from?
                That pic is a prototype dash panel for one of my workover rig engine package designs at work. We built part of the first unit in-house so I could do all of my testing.

Top side:

Military stuff is prob Amphenol or Cannon. That sucks that they glued the pieces. There's really no need to do that. I'm at HQ right now and won't be back in the office until Monday, but if I can be any help spec'ing parts (connectors receptacles, pins, sockets, etc) let me know.
                Last edited by Strychnine; 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

We sell some.

Rush truck centers.
                  Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                    We sell some.

Rush truck centers.
                    Got any pictures of what you are talking about?

Edit - found the site and dug around, but can't find anything. Tough to search that site without some sort of specific application.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      This.

Almost all of our on-engine OEM connectors are Deutsch. You can get anything from a 2 pin up to 100+. We use a lot of 14, 31, 55 and 60 pin (both barrel and bulkhead) connectors in our engine and chassis harness designs.

One downside... the crimping tools for Deutsch, Delphi, Amphenol and other specialty connectors are not cheap. Though I think you can get some cheaper versions, the Amphenol crimper sitting on my desk was $300 or so.
                      Some of the Amphenol connectors have solder cups, but then you will probably want to buy the strain relief clamps to go on the back end.
                      Men have become the tools of their tools.
                      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                        Some of the Amphenol connectors have solder cups, but then you will probably want to buy the strain relief clamps to go on the back end.
                        Lol. I taught my girlfriend to solder using a 40-something pin Amphenol.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                          Lol. I taught my girlfriend to solder using a 40-something pin Amphenol.
                          Im so proud of you. (not for the soldering lesson, the girlfriend part)
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I completely forgot I had several of these laying around. They are from some sort of military power supply station that was scrapped. The only problem with them is that they are already pinned and some of the holes are not occupied. Is there a way to get spare pins, or are there just so many you'd never get the right ones? FWIW, the rubber insulator thing is glued in place, so it would be impossible to get them apart to see what they are.

I can find the pins for these connectors if you want to use them. I have the tools to remove the pins and to crimp them as well. The orange silicon seal stays in the connector. The pins unlock from the plug and can be easily removed (with the correct tool.)

Comment

Ok Mark, I appreciate it - I'll bring one with me the next time I come out there.

The only problem is that these particular bulkheads have the rubber piece glued in place. If you look close at the orange piece, where it meets the metal piece - you can see the glue.

Is that a problem?

Comment

Here is a PDF on those connectors:
                                http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/ca.../lo/12-071.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X