Lone Star Medics course: Medic 1 4/1 - 4/2 in Ft. Worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Star Medics course: Medic 1 4/1 - 4/2 in Ft. Worth

I know I've talked to a few people about taking a medic class. Seems like when we've had range GTG's, hardly anyone has an IFAK or tourniquet. Anyhow, class is $350 for 2 days. Here's the info:

This is our most popular two-day course. This course is perfect for those with little to no previous first aid training. We will cover aggressive first aid for moderate to severe injuries/illnesses. Adult, child, infant CPR w/ AED (American Heart Assoc.) will be taught on the morning of the first day. Throughout class, each student will learn by minimal lectures, plenty of hands-on skills practice, and multiple scenarios involving role players. The students will participate in the skills training as individuals and as a team throughout both days. CareFlite will fly out a helicopter, real life missions and weather pending. Some of the subjects covered in this course:

• Medical & Legal Issues
    • Body Substance Isolation; Use of Protective Barrier Devices
    • Basic Anatomy & Physiology
    • AHA CPR w/ AED
    • Patient Assessment
    • Penetrating & Blunt Trauma; GSW, Stabbings, Crush Injuries
    • Medical Emergencies; Stroke, Diabetic Emergencies, Siezures
    • Fractures & Sprains; Broken Bones
    • Burns; Thermal, Electrical, etc.
    • Environmental Emergencies
    • Animal/Insect bites
    • Heat & cold injuries
    • Dehydration & Prevention (Caleb’s favorite)
    • Shock; Management and Treatment
    • Tourniquets & Hemostatic Bandages; QuickClot, Celox
    • Movement of Patients (how, when & when not to)
    • LZ operations; CareFlite provides a helicopter
    • 911 Communications
    • First Aid Kits & Equipment Selection

You can email Caleb the owner for the application.
    caleb@lonestarmedics.com

I'm sorry but I see this as a money grab. There's no way in hell you are gonna cover all that material in a form that you'll retain in 2 days. Not to mention withought a med bag you're really not going to be able to do anything anyways. I can see the cpr portion and basic trauma being useful. There is a reason medic school takes 6 months to 1yr +.
    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
      I'm sorry but I see this as a money grab. There's no way in hell you are gonna cover all that material in a form that you'll retain in 2 days. Not to mention withought a med bag you're really not going to be able to do anything anyways. I can see the cpr portion and basic trauma being useful. There is a reason medic school takes 6 months to 1yr +.
      I disagree.

Judging by your response, I'd guess you're an EMT or something similar, so yeah, it's going to sound retarded. Some of the info may be remedial to someone with training, but for people without training a course like this could be an amazing thing.

5 or 6 years ago I took a wilderness medicine course through NOLS. It was geared toward people who would be away from trained first responders for an extended time (hours, or even days) - concentration on the essentials (Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Exposure) with extra instruction on things like head/spine/musculoskeletal injury, shock, cold, altitude, wound treatment etc.

I grew up with parents in the medical field so I had a solid knowledge base going in, but some of the people didn't... but they have a hobby they enjoy, which is inherently dangerous, and the training made them more comfortable and more of a resource in the field.

As the saying goes, "When seconds count, [first responders] are only minutes away." If nothing else it makes them less of a liability. The more people that know these skills the better. No way around it.
      Last edited by Strychnine; 02-13-2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

2 days? That's the EMS equivalent of a police ride along. You're not going to gain or learn anything substantive in 2 days. Like stated above, a money grab.

Just to give you some perspective on why that would be a waste of money.

I have a AAS in Emergency Medical Management (Paramedicine) The EMT Basic portion was a full semester and the Paramedic portion consisted of two full semesters + summer courses in Medical Terminology and EMS Spanish. Weeks of clinical rotations. Two years of school in my case.

Take that $350 and apply it towards enrolling yourself in an actual EMT course. Take the state test. And see how you feel about moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
          2 days? That's the EMS equivalent of a police ride along. You're not going to gain or learn anything substantive in 2 days. Like stated above, a money grab.

Just to give you some perspective on why that would be a waste of money.

I have a AAS in Emergency Medical Management (Paramedicine) The EMT Basic portion was a full semester and the Paramedic portion consisted of two full semesters + summer courses in Medical Terminology and EMS Spanish. Weeks of clinical rotations. Two years of school in my case.

Take that $350 and apply it towards enrolling yourself in an actual EMT course. Take the state test. And see how you feel about moving forward.
          Yep, everyone has time to take a full time EMT class LOL
          2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
            Why didn't you take your $350 and apply it toward medical school for your MD?

If someone has no desire to "move forward" but just wants more knowledge to be prepared for random shit that might happen, why is that bad? We get it, some of you guys paid a lot of money to go through courses to get certified for shit.

If you arrived on scene somewhere and someone had taken a 3 story fall... would you rather everyone be standing around doing some facebook-live shit, or would you prefer that to have one person with the understanding that the patient should be immobilized, checked for an airway, etc? Would you rather 20 assholes gawk when you rolled up or 19 gawk and 1 guy have the sense to locate a massive bleed and at least apply pressure, if not a tourniquet?

You're better than us, we get it, but you shouldn't shit on other people that at least have the wherewithal to not be a parasitic drain on society.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              Why didn't you take your $350 and apply it toward medical school for your MD?

If someone has no desire to "move forward" but just wants more knowledge to be prepared for random shit that might happen, why is that bad? We get it, some of you guys paid a lot of money to go through courses to get certified for shit.

If you arrived on scene somewhere and someone had taken a 3 story fall... would you rather everyone be standing around doing some facebook-live shit, or would you prefer that to have one person with the understanding that the patient should be immobilized, checked for an airway, etc? Would you rather 20 assholes gawk when you rolled up or 19 gawk and 1 guy have the sense to locate a massive bleed and at least apply pressure, if not a tourniquet?

You're better than us, we get it, but you shouldn't shit on other people that at least have the wherewithal to not be a parasitic drain on society.
              I'm not saying it wouldn't be good for somebody to take a class like that to learn some basic knowledge, but not in two days. They would have to cram shit down your throat so fast you wouldnt know where to start. If really interested in something like that you could take an EMT basic class, there are several that are offered at night or on the weekends. The 2 day thing is what kills it for me, and they are talking about having careflight land (which is not uncommon for training classes) but I just don't see how they could cover all the info stated above in a manner that would be benificial and have a careflight come do a pub ed.
              Last edited by 01yz2nv; 02-13-2017, 11:09 PM.
              "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
              Factory Five MK4 Cobra
              sigpic

Comment

I suppose I should take a small step back.

This isn't about getting someone certified as an EMT or anything of the sort. My primary reason was to get some sort of training for being out at the gun range.

Case in point. Several months ago, a group of us were shooting a class at ETTS down in Waxahachie. In the next tac bay over, they were doing a class. Long story short, they were shooting a 3 shot string with no time. As one of the guys was going to reholster, his pistol got snagged on the bungee draw string on his jacket and fired off a round causing an in/out down his leg. Luckily there were a lot of staff out there, and one of our instructors was an EMT with 01yz2nv's agency. Guy lived to fight another day.

At a lot of these ranges, first responders are probably 15-20 minutes away on a good day. I'd venture to say that 90% of the people out shooting have no sort of medical training and don't have any sort of IFAK or tourniquet. That's just bad juju. I'm not out to save the human race here. I just want to be able to offer some basic level of help should something catastrophic happen at the range. This class covers that and touches on some other stuff. They also give you their advice as to what to look for in the various med kits that are out there.

I've also started seeing a good number of firearms classes require you to have a IFAK or tourniquet *on* your person while shooting. Is this for everyone? Probably not. But I definitely think anyone who is doing any sort of shooting in a tac bay needs to have some sort of med training.

Comment

All you need to know:

civilian: O2 and transport

mili: tourniquet, high and tight

Comment

No doubt it could come in handy for sure. I just think they'll have to skim way to quick through all that material listed. Maybe even find a BTLS specific course where you will get more information, and more hands on in specific fields. Or even if that class was stretched out just a little bit further, hell anything is better than two days haha. If you decide to go forward with it, Id defiantly try and find as many reviews as you can about it. Just watching out for you, I don't want you to waste your money and get taken.

FFL & LTC Instructor
                    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                    sigpic

Comment

I know Caleb personally, and I can vouch for his class; I've been present during a few of his courses while doing photography work. It wasn't designed to be the end all be all, it was designed to give you a good overview on what you need to do for a traumatic injury. This will equip you to handle a bad situation until the pros arrive. If you compare this to a Marine Corps combat lifesavers course, where we stick each other with IVs and nasalpharyngelas after three days, you can really pack a lot into this course.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                        I know Caleb personally, and I can vouch for his class; I've been present during a few of his courses while doing photography work. It wasn't designed to be the end all be all, it was designed to give you a good overview on what you need to do for a traumatic injury. This will equip you to handle a bad situation until the pros arrive. If you compare this to a Marine Corps combat lifesavers course, where we stick each other with IVs and nasalpharyngelas after three days, you can really pack a lot into this course.
                        Then there's no need to go into the rest of those categories. He could narrow that list to Basic A&P, CPR/AED, Bandage and splinting, bleeding control. Ditch the rest of the filler that makes you feel like you're gonna learn a lot and cover those in more depth.

FFL & LTC Instructor
                        Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

No, that's not the message that I was trying to convey. Please don't put words in my mouth.

What I am saying is that 2 days is a very short period of time to digest quite a lot of information. It would be a glossing over of a lot of layered topics. It's a lecture, not practical clinical knowledge. However, in saying that, I admit that some knowledge is better than none. I admire the interest into having some degree of BTLS training and the willingness to learn more. I did not mean to insult the OP or anyone else.

You just have to take pause on exactly you are going to learn in 2 days that normally takes months. That's just not how this stuff works. There would be a lot of compromises when condensing that much info into a 2 day period. It's a Reader's Digest version of pre-hospital management. Nothing about that sounds legit to me. Just my opinion.
                          Last edited by LS1Goat; 02-14-2017, 12:36 AM.

Comment

An AAR from the class, granted it's a few years old...

Company: Lone Star Medics - http://lonestarmedics.com/ Course Type: Field Medicine (non-tactical) Date: 11/8/14 - 11/9/14 Location: Fort Worth, TX - Panther City Training Center Course Description: From the LSM website: This is our most popular two-day course. This course is perfect for those with little to no previous first aid training. We will cover aggressive first aid for moderate to severe injuries/illnesses. Adult, child, infant CPR w/ AED (American Heart Assoc.) will be

Comment

2 day course. You guys know that the first aid (Pre CLS-combat life savers course) course given to new recruits in the Marines (circa 1994) was a single day course given to mentally and physically exhausted Marine recruits...retention of information may have been 50% after a few weeks.

Current CLS course taught by the Army is 40hrs. I have seen it broken down in country to 8hrs.

Courses like this are tools for your toolbox. Just like when your company makes you take CPR courses. Every bit of training makes you a little more knowledgeable and increases your chances or someone else's chance of surviving.
                              Last edited by KBScobravert; 02-14-2017, 02:17 AM.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X