Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talisman View Post
    That guy doesn't know how anything works. Remember when he wanted to use a lawnmower engine to run his alternator to reduce parasitic drag? He's that guy.
    Which guy? That Gasser fella?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      That guy doesn't know how anything works. Remember when he wanted to use a lawnmower engine to run his alternator to reduce parasitic drag? He's that guy.
      Remember when thought it was real? haha
      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        What about an electric leafblower for a turbo?
        When I first got my hands on a Dynojet I tested out everything you can think of including using a leaf blower for a Supercharger. You'd be shocked at how well that worked
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          Remember when thought it was real? haha
          Yes I remember when you thought it was real.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
            Yes I remember when you thought it was real.
            Yeah.

Do better.
            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Labora View Post
              Our company is going through same thing. Let go at least a 1/3 or more of staff when lockdowns happened now we can't hire people fast enough to fill positions and have very high turnover for the ones we do get so not getting back to numbers we once where.

This happened all over. I know a drum for manufacturing company in Georgia that has been doing monthly hiring fairs for 6 months. They have retainment issues, and cannot hire fast enough. They upped starting pay 20%, gave all existing a raise, and still lose as many as they hire.

Comment

I am in commercial real estate and talk with tenants all the time and often visit them in person. All down the midwest from Detroit to Memphis is the same theme. They can't get anyone to work. The owner of one company based in Detroit that makes subassemblies for GM plants told me that they had a shortage of 600 workers nationwide, the jobs are there but they can't find anyone to fill them.

You have two generations out there where an inordinate amount of people (not all of course) want to be Youtube or Tiktok stars, or worse yet, want to live with mom and dad forever. It is a symptom of interest rates that have been kept low for too long.

People will say this is caused by large amounts of student debt. The data on that seems to indicate that the debt is a problem chiefly for people who don't finish school. A whole lot of those people seem to fit in the two categories I mentioned above.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

People generally don't want to do that monotonous ass shit. Remember when you said you were counting off numbers in your head on the drive home after working at a Ford plant?

The real youtube stars say it's a lot of work, and they're busy with it all day long.

That said, I think I'd enjoy industrial maintenance at the right place. Not that I have the qualifications, but still. Getting to work on/fix some of that stuff would be entertaining for awhile.
                  WH

Comment

By the way; having a criminal record is not a deal-breaker for employment there.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      That said, I think I'd enjoy industrial maintenance at the right place. Not that I have the qualifications, but still. Getting to work on/fix some of that stuff would be entertaining for awhile.
                      False, it all gets boring as hell. 7 yrs at the current place and it’s boring but gravy train dayshift so I stay. I should be trying to make side money but I’ve made enough excuses to keep from that

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        I am in commercial real estate and talk with tenants all the time and often visit them in person. All down the midwest from Detroit to Memphis is the same theme. They can't get anyone to work. The owner of one company based in Detroit that makes subassemblies for GM plants told me that they had a shortage of 600 workers nationwide, the jobs are there but they can't find anyone to fill them.

You have two generations out there where an inordinate amount of people (not all of course) want to be Youtube or Tiktok stars, or worse yet, want to live with mom and dad forever. It is a symptom of interest rates that have been kept low for too long.

People will say this is caused by large amounts of student debt. The data on that seems to indicate that the debt is a problem chiefly for people who don't finish school. A whole lot of those people seem to fit in the two categories I mentioned above.
                        All this is because expectations have changed. My parents both had 2 year degrees. Dad went to university after that but had to quit to help support his family of 9 kids (he was the oldest). Both worked forever, and I learned how to work on cars, fix things at the house, etc. with them because we seemed to always have to fix what we had instead of getting new. The expectation was clear from day one for me though - I would get a job when I could drive and would graduate from college and get my ass to work. There was never any doubt as to what would happen. It didn't matter what I wanted to do (which was that), I was expected to do that.

It's not the same today. Parents are afraid to hurt their kids' feelings. They don't tell them the support well is going to run dry at 18/20/22 or whatever. In turn, kids grow up to study liberal arts, can't get the job they think they want, and won't work others because they never had to. I worked at Burger King in high school, painted schools during the summer, landscaped for the city rec and parks one summer (fun having bottles thrown at you on the side of the interstate), and then worked at a box factory through college. I hated all of it, but I did it because I was expected to make some money and pay for my shit. It all taught me that I didn't want to do that for a career either, so I got my degree and found a great place to work. I'm in my 25th year now with the same company. There's a reason kids today are soft -- the parents allow it to happen.

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                        False, it all gets boring as hell. 7 yrs at the current place and it’s boring but gravy train dayshift so I stay. I should be trying to make side money but I’ve made enough excuses to keep from that
                        I don't understand this mentality. I grew up that whatever job/task you had was simply to be done. A guy asked me at the box factory one time why I was working so hard. My reply was that I wasn't, I was simply working. I guess you could say I didn't necessarily like the work, but it was what had to be done, so I did it. I never thought of it as boring though.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                          I grew up that whatever job/task you had was simply to be done. A guy asked me at the box factory one time why I was working so hard. My reply was that I wasn't, I was simply working. I guess you could say I didn't necessarily like the work, but it was what had to be done, so I did it.
                          Not to comment on the boring bit. I get caught up in the mundane at my current job I have been here for 7, almost 8 years, and get bogged down at times with the same ol’ same ol’. However, it is a great company. Though, I have always outworked most of my co-workers, especially when I was working jobs that weren’t “career” jobs. If there is work to be done, it is worth doing well. I saw WAY too much half assing working retail and jobs to pay the bills. Those that half ass, see it as working hard.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            Not to comment on the boring bit. I get caught up in the mundane at my current job I have been here for 7, almost 8 years, and get bogged down at times with the same ol’ same ol’. However, it is a great company. Though, I have always outworked most of my co-workers, especially when I was working jobs that weren’t “career” jobs. If there is work to be done, it is worth doing well. I saw WAY too much half assing working retail and jobs to pay the bills. Those that half ass, see it as working hard.
                            This is where I think my position (19 years now) is perfect for me. It keeps evolving as needs arise. I work with so many different types of people from builders to code officials to engineers, etc. It doesn't hurt that I like to travel and get to roam the Southeast including Central and South America and the Caribbean (pre-covid anyway). Luckily, my work allows me the freedom to do a lot of different things which keeps it from being mundane. I am very blessed because of it and have passed on other positions to avoid some stuff that I know would bog me down.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                              This is where I think my position (19 years now) is perfect for me. It keeps evolving as needs arise. I work with so many different types of people from builders to code officials to engineers, etc. It doesn't hurt that I like to travel and get to roam the Southeast including Central and South America and the Caribbean (pre-covid anyway). Luckily, my work allows me the freedom to do a lot of different things which keeps it from being mundane. I am very blessed because of it and have passed on other positions to avoid some stuff that I know would bog me down.
                              You need an assistant?

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                                This happened all over. I know a drum for manufacturing company in Georgia that has been doing monthly hiring fairs for 6 months. They have retainment issues, and cannot hire fast enough. They upped starting pay 20%, gave all existing a raise, and still lose as many as they hire.
                                It is bizarre as it takes at least 3 weeks for the hiring process to go through and many will quit within a week before even fully trained. So I'm not sure how so many get by doing this song and dance with random companies and are able to survive.

Not to mention the ones that just randomly quit with no backup plan or other job lined up. I've worked some places I hated but always had my ducks in a row before quitting. We had 3 walk off last night from our nightcrew.
                                1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                                1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                                2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Working...
                                X