New Edge Best cooling fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Edge Best cooling fan?

So my Cobra still has some fits with a big Lightning Force Performance Radiator and electric water pump on the 95+ days, especially with the AC on.

I'm pretty sure it just has the stock fan assembly, and from what i remember, was it everyone was going nuts over the SVT Contour Dual fan as the best flowing fan?

I want something plug and play and that allows me to run my cold AC on hot days without seeing my water temps spike to 220+

Its "simple" thermodynamics...
    Why did you swap radiators? Actual overheating, or looked good on paper?
    Why the electric water pump? New flow optimized for the fan / new rad, or looked good on paper?
    Why do you think a fan swap is the solution? Proven, or people say so, on paper?
    (There's a theme)

Start with the last time the combo worked well and then look at what's changed since then.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but when i was an engineer at Cummins fixing bad cooling system designs is something I got used to (everyone thought they had some magic bullet, but physics always won)
    Last edited by Strychnine; 09-09-2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      Why the electric water pump? New flow optimized for the fan / new rad, or looked good on paper?
      Why do you think a fan swap is the solution? Proven, or people say so, on paper?
      (There's a theme)

Start with the last time the combo worked well and then look at what's changed since then.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but when i was an engineer at Cummins fixing bad cooling system designs is something I got used to (everyone thought they had some magic bullet, but physics always won)
      Would you believe there’s people putting contour fans and electric water pumps on their 3/4 and 1 ton Cummins trucks!? Then they claim to get 30 mpg.

Comment

I run a Contour double fan on a Fox with a stroker motor. I have a FMS copper 4 row radiator and it stays on 180. Flows LOTS of air. I have the Painless wiring and in block thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          (There's a theme)

Well, the "last combo that worked" was a stock block, stock stroke car with stock cams.

More aggressive, hotter cams.

The LFP Radiator was there to support the hotter running motor.
          The meziere water pump was to flow more than the stock pump and free up parasitic losses from a belt driven pump.
          The only thing that i can think of that could really help is airflow. The car runs fine on hot days at speed. Soon as i slow down and hit traffic (disruption of airflow) or worse, come to stop and go traffic do the temps spike up. Figure a big CFM fan setup could help continue to draw air through the radiator.

Comment

Is it possible also that the alt isn't putting out enough juice at idle to spin the fan and water pump at adequate speeds to cool the engine?

Just tossing it out there as I recall fans spinning slower at idle on muscle cars I worked on back in the day.
            Last edited by Tx Redneck; 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Check voltage, the big fan plus electric pump plus plus plus will get kinda crazy when hot. if' you dont have enough power, the fan slows, etc. Had it happen.

I have the contour fans on my 69, they work well. There's also the possibility that your old oem fan is getting weak as well.

You blocked me on facebook... fix it yourself.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  Check voltage, the big fan plus electric pump plus plus plus will get kinda crazy when hot. if' you dont have enough power, the fan slows, etc. Had it happen.

I have the contour fans on my 69, they work well. There's also the possibility that your old oem fan is getting weak as well.

You blocked me on facebook... fix it yourself.
                  Haha!

Comment

The Mark VIII fan is supposed to move the most CFM.

Comment

lmao @ Baron! And hes right...

I have a 4v Cobra and when I bought mine it had heating issues even after they did the "fix".
                      First thing I did was upgrade to a Ron Davis radiator, refilled w/watter wetter.
                      Second thing I added a SHM 160* thermostat.
                      Third thing, ProFlow elec. fan H/L manual control switch.

I've never had another heating issue with my car after I did that to this day and I've done everything you did and more when I re-did the engine and before that I added the KB SC. You do have to adjust manual switch from summer to winter and keep an eye on things specifically the temperature gauge. I also have the stock fan...
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I would try the better fan setup
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Hopefully the 130 Amp alternator on the cobra is enough. Looking into a few different options on fans, everything from mark VIII to contour fans, to a slim profile 16 inch fan w shroud from american muscle.

Comment

The 130 amp will be fine, I don’t believe the electric water pump pulls many amps
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I have a write-up here on putting a Contour fan on my Fox. It did
                              help a bunch BUT!

When I replaced the hood with a 68 GT500 replica hood with
                              air vents, things were GREAT! I could idle down the 635 freezing my butt off
                              with the car running 195 to 210.

Try it for a bit with the hood off and see what happens...

Comment

Working...
                              X