Taking care of a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Counterfiend View Post
    Rail Dust is what that is. I use Iron-X iron remover to help remove those contamination from the surface of the paint.
    I tried ironx. Didn't touch it.

I also used IronX before coating the car a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

It's not really the thickness that is the important part. The only part of the wax, sealant or ceramic coating that sticks to the car is what is actually touching the paint, the rest just gets wiped away. It's more the hardness and the durability of it. If you leave a bottle of wax open it just dries out and gets powdery. If leave a bottle of the ceramic coatings open they turn into a clear hard ceramic disk.

The durability and toughness explains why these coatings last 2-4 years compared to 2-3 months of a normal wax.

Makes sense. But I'll see what the pros over at autopia say and get back to ya. Now I need to know cause if those liquids are actually better, I'd rather use that than the other stuff because its somewhat easier. There would be some small advantage to the the thicknesss though. Obviously its not going to block rocks or anything, but up to a certain (very small) size, the paste would have the advantage when the car was at speed. Might add up over the course of 5 years. But maybe not.
      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        Makes sense. But I'll see what the pros over at autopia say and get back to ya. Now I need to know cause if those liquids are actually better, I'd rather use that than the other stuff because its somewhat easier. There would be some small advantage to the the thicknesss though. Obviously its not going to block rocks or anything, but up to a certain (very small) size, the paste would have the advantage when the car was at speed. Might add up over the course of 5 years. But maybe not.
        Detailing for 10+ years and working with Nick for several of those I had had the opportunity to work with lots of products and have lots of experience. The price is obviously higher for the Ceramic Coatings but I will not put anything else on my personal cars. If you have to do a full paint prep detail every 6 months to apply a sealant think of the time involved there. If I can properly maintain the car (wash with correct soap, etc.) and only have to do a solid paint prep type detail every 3-4 years. Totally worth it to me.
        www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

Don't know if i'm understanding your reply correctly. Are you saying that the sprays are more useful to you because you don't have to apply them as often?

Every six months sounds like the intervals of the pastes. In which case, you'd just wash the car, and reapply the paste just like you did the first time. Maybe using the alcohol solution to get all the old wax off that may still be clinging to it in some places. Since you'd want to be sure you were starting with a full on brand new wax coating.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Don't know if i'm understanding your reply correctly. Are you saying that the sprays are more useful to you because you don't have to apply them as often?

Every six months sounds like the intervals of the pastes. In which case, you'd just wash the car, and reapply the paste just like you did the first time. Maybe using the alcohol solution to get all the old wax off that may still be clinging to it in some places. Since you'd want to be sure you were starting with a full on brand new wax coating.
            What Sprays are you talking about.

Most sprays don't last all that long.
            Paste waxes come in different forms. Synthetic or carnuba, or a sealant.
            And if you are applying ANY wax regardless of its form you need to have a properly prepared surface. Clayed, clean, decontaminated etc.
            www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

I got my civic back from the body shop last week. So yesterday I spent some time washing, claying, and sealing it. Given the amount of crap that came off the paint when I clayed it, they did not buff the whole thing, like I thought I was paying for.

Then this morning, I put a coat of colinite 915 on. I don't think this car has ever been this clean.

After wolfgang deep gloss liquid sealant

After the colinite 915

My ugly mug in the reflection

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                I just picked up a 17 Chebbie Silverado and am in that phase. It sucks. I miss the DGAF that comes with driving a shitbox.
                You'll get there. It took about 4 years before my desire to keep it perfect started fading. Then a hail storm finally did it in.

Now the thick layer of dirt stays around to hide the hail damage like a pair of thick tights.

Comment

What Sprays are you talking about.

Most sprays don't last all that long.
                  Paste waxes come in different forms. Synthetic or carnuba, or a sealant.
                  And if you are applying ANY wax regardless of its form you need to have a properly prepared surface. Clayed, clean, decontaminated etc.
                  Best advice: hire counterfiend to do it. Next best: listen to and follow his advice. I'm going to have him take care of two cars this winter / spring for me. I wonder what miracles he could do on it DD too...

Comment

We bought a new Wrangler JKU this year. My detailing and care routine has consisted of driving thru brush and mesquite at the deer lease followed by occassional coatings of mud to the paint; the mud is a two step process. Leave it applied for a few hours then power wash it off. I do vaccum out and wipe down the interior on a fairly regular basis as well.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      We bought a new Wrangler JKU this year. My detailing and care routine has consisted of driving thru brush and mesquite at the deer lease followed by occassional coatings of mud to the paint; the mud is a two step process. Leave it applied for a few hours then power wash it off. I do vaccum out and wipe down the interior on a fairly regular basis as well.
                      Kind of like a spa type treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                        Kind of like a spa type treatment?
                        It's all about the exfoliation.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                        X