Lone Star Medics course: Medic 1 4/1 - 4/2 in Ft. Worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
    2 day course. You guys know that the first aid (Pre CLS-combat life savers course) course given to new recruits in the Marines (circa 1994) was a single day course given to mentally and physically exhausted Marine recruits...retention of information may have been 50% after a few weeks.

Current CLS course taught by the Army is 40hrs. I have seen it broken down in country to 8hrs.

Courses like this are tools for your toolbox. Just like when your company makes you take CPR courses. Every bit of training makes you a little more knowledgeable and increases your chances or someone else's chance of surviving.
    Lol, I was going to say the same thing.. I went to Army basic in 1993 and I think we spent one day on first aid. It was primarily just looking for wounds, immobilizing, and stopping bleeding (or sucking chest wound). Basically, keeping them from doing more damage to themselves or bleeding out before a real medic gets there.

The combat lifesavers course was much better, and right was a solid week (though in the units I was in it was usually broken up over several weeks).

At most this sounds like a good foundation and if someone wants to learn more they can proceed. But yeah, if most people out there have no clue how to even stop bleeding, or understand the difference between a pressure dressing and tourniquet, I certainly don't see this as a bad thing.

BTW, that list doesn't seem too overwhelming. A number of those are probably not much more than a 15 minute presentation.

Comment

So what is the point of a firearms class like a CHL or one of the weekend classes? Join the military and learn how to shoot, better yet join the special ops community and shoot millions of rounds...

Seeing as I have saved 2 lives with basic first aid knowledge from being certified (work gets an insurance discount if everyone is certified) and from hanging around the fire station growing up watching EMTs I would say the basics are worth it. Like others have mentioned if you are an outdoorsman, have kids that play sports, etc. then something like this at least gives you the basics. If $350 is too much go to the Red Cross or ask the fire stations close to you if they offer classes (several do, mostly aimed at child CPR). If the market is there for people to pay $350 for the class why don't you offer a better class? Seriously asking since I think a ton of people could get good use out of it.

Comment

Nobody is saying the basics are not worth it. Yall are going to interpret whatever y'all want out of this so fuck it, go spend away and have fun.
        "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
        http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
        Factory Five MK4 Cobra
        Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
        http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
        www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
        sigpic

Comment

And just because a class CAN be short does not mean it NEEDS to be short. I'm just sayingbibthinknthey could ditch over half that list and focus on stuff you'll actually be able to do if the scenario arises.
          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phaux View Post
            All you need to know:

civilian: O2 and transport

mili: tourniquet, high and tight, 800mg Motrin/BID, fresh socks
            Fixed.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Here ya go. I accept cash, money orders, or you can paypal me.
              http://www.operationalmedicine.org/L...%20Aid/toc.htm
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                Fixed.
                Yeah, certainly cannot forget vitamin M! lol

Comment

Boom there ya go.

FFL & LTC Instructor
                  Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                  sigpic

Comment

What I have to read and can't wear my tacticool stuff to a class? Read through part of it real quick and it does make you wonder what idiot did that to make them put it in the book

Comment

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
                      What I have to read and can't wear my tacticool stuff to a class? Read through part of it real quick and it does make you wonder what idiot did that to make them put it in the book
                      Where there's a will, there's a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        Lol, I was going to say the same thing.. I went to Army basic in 1993 and I think we spent one day on first aid. It was primarily just looking for wounds, immobilizing, and stopping bleeding (or sucking chest wound). Basically, keeping them from doing more damage to themselves or bleeding out before a real medic gets there.

The combat lifesavers course was much better, and right was a solid week (though in the units I was in it was usually broken up over several weeks).

At most this sounds like a good foundation and if someone wants to learn more they can proceed. But yeah, if most people out there have no clue how to even stop bleeding, or understand the difference between a pressure dressing and tourniquet, I certainly don't see this as a bad thing.

BTW, that list doesn't seem too overwhelming. A number of those are probably not much more than a 15 minute presentation.
                        They couldn't secure any med cadre to teach our first med class. So our drills took 15 minutes to show how to put on a tq and pressure dressing. The rest of the time was spent on learning to call 9 line medivac
                        Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                        It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

One of the kits I was considering was Dark Angel Medical. Looks like they're doing some training but it's in Nov. Looks like they're cramming a lot of material in 2 days as well.

Be prepared. Carry a trauma kit. Stop the Bleed and start the breathing. Every Day Trauma Training and easy to use Trauma Kits and Individual First Aid Kits (IFAK)

The time to learn to use your personal trauma kit is not when you or someone else is bleeding out!!! When life expectancy is measured in seconds and help is minutes away, will you know what to do? In our uncertain lives, that is a question that we all need to be able to answer a resounding, “Yes!” to. Dark Angel Medical, LLC, is proud to offer training and instruction in the use of the D.A.R.K. The Direct Action Response Training** fills a niche between military self-aid/buddy care training and civilian EMS training and is geared towards those with little to no medical training or background. It provides the student with critical, need-to-know information, which can be utilized in a myriad of situations and stresses the ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ principle as well as our own principle of “Simplicity Under Stress”. The course is 2 days in length with a total of 16 hours of classroom work to include slide presentations, videos, question and answer sessions and hands-on practical skills application. A manual and all training aids will be provided. A D.A.R.K. (Direct Action Response Kit) may also be provided to each student as part of the tuition. ***There are no prerequisites for this class***

Included

The course covers the following:

Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
                          The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
                          Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
                          H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
                          Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
                          Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
                          Hands-on application of the IMK
                          Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
                          Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
                          Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
                          Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
                          Application of tourniquets
                          Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
                          Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
                          Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
                          Response to active shooter situation
                          Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
                          Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
                          Mass casualty triage procedure
                          Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)

Hardware/Kit

Note pad and pen/pencil/Sharpie
                          Individual First Aid Kit—If you choose to. All training materials are provided.
                          An open mind
                          **Note: The Direct Action Response Training offers no formal certification. It is informational only.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            They couldn't secure any med cadre to teach our first med class. So our drills took 15 minutes to show how to put on a tq and pressure dressing. The rest of the time was spent on learning to call 9 line medivac
                            Yikes!

Just hope your battle buddy got better training than you!

Comment

That sounds like a better class to me, it seems to focus more on traumatic injuries and bleeding control. Plenty of chances for somebody to use those sets of skills, at the range, pulling up on an mva, you name it.

FFL & LTC Instructor
                              Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                                Yikes!

Just hope your battle buddy got better training than you!
                                Luckily I have a little more knowledge being from getting my EMT B. Most casualty care was get them out of fire, TQ, call for medivac.

I can call the fuck out of a 9 line now though haha
                                Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                                It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Working...
                                X