Joined the cult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
    Sounds like it, this is the place where I get mine. The owners family is one of the original Midland ranching families. Great guy to deal with and produces an excellent product if I you are willing to spend the money.

http://www.midlandmeatco.com/
    Yep
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
      ^^^
      That's kinda of what I do with my steaks, Infrared for one minute per side, two times, then one minute per side in direct flame/heat five times, so about a 7 minute ribeye comes out fucking on point.
      Only Kosher salt, crushed black pepper and Lowery's seasoning.
      Sounds like stir fry!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
        Sounds like stir fry!
        Sounds like he flips his meat way too much!

Comment

one of you BGE aficionado's needs to throw a gtg so I can taste, first hand, the results. I don't see it being anything more than an outdoor oven as any kind of "smoking" goes but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker and while it's essentially an outdoor oven, with enough wood chunks, I can still get some smoke flavor.

Comment

I've been making my ribeyes, t-bones, NY strips like this since the summer of 2001 (minus the IR) and they come out delicious. This is on my Napolean grill with the IR side burner, not an EGG or KJ btw.
            I was just responding that I cook in a similar way, didn't mean to offend you "Michelin Star Chefs"...
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              one of you BGE aficionado's needs to throw a gtg so I can taste, first hand, the results. I don't see it being anything more than an outdoor oven as any kind of "smoking" goes but I'd like to be proven wrong.

I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker and while it's essentially an outdoor oven, with enough wood chunks, I can still get some smoke flavor.
              I can guarantee you the egg will give you more smoke than any propane or electric smoker, or anything built by Masterbuilt.

I've been making my ribeyes, t-bones, NY strips like this since the summer of 2001 (minus the IR) and they come out delicious. This is on my Napolean grill with the IR side burner, not an EGG or KJ btw.
              I was just responding that I cook in a similar way, didn't mean to offend you "Michelin Star Chefs"...

Lighten up Francis. Just pointing out that too often people fuck with the meat too much. It doesn't need to be flipped more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                I can guarantee you the egg will give you more smoke than any propane or electric smoker, or anything built by Masterbuilt.

Lighten up Francis. Just pointing out that too often people fuck with the meat too much. It doesn't need to be flipped more than once.
                I flip my meat a lot.

Comment

IR is for football, not steaks.
                  Just get a George Foreman grill and cook both sides at the same time!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post

Sure man, I'm in Little Elm and you're welcome to come check it out... There's also "classes" at places like Premier Grilling where they show people recipes and how to use the egg, etc. LMK

And yes, it's WAY better than an outdoor oven (although it CAN do that too). I still have an offset smoker as well that admittedly DOES do a better job at smoking but takes way more fuel and human interaction but puts out better BBQ. With NO raw wood chunks (other than charcoal) I bet the BGE gets more smoke flavor than any propane or electric "smoker". There's a propane "smoker" at the lake house we use a lot that's about to get replaced with a BGE cause it's the exact same level of effort with way better results.
                    Originally posted by stevo
                    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      Sure man, I'm in Little Elm and you're welcome to come check it out... There's also "classes" at places like Premier Grilling where they show people recipes and how to use the egg, etc. LMK

And yes, it's WAY better than an outdoor oven (although it CAN do that too). I still have an offset smoker as well that admittedly DOES do a better job at smoking but takes way more fuel and human interaction but puts out better BBQ. With NO raw wood chunks (other than charcoal) I bet the BGE gets more smoke flavor than any propane or electric "smoker". There's a propane "smoker" at the lake house we use a lot that's about to get replaced with a BGE cause it's the exact same level of effort with way better results.

The only thing I've noticed between my offset and the egg is that I don't get a deep smoke ring on more dense products like a brisket or pork butt. Admittedly, my offset was a piece of shit that required attention every 30 minutes. But it worked. Ribs (beef and pork) and poultry are fine, as is everything else I've smoked. It's getting plenty of smoke and the flavor is there deep in to the meat. The red ring just isn't as deep. Supposedly if it goes on cold it will get a deeper ring but I haven't tried.

Comment

Everything I've smoked on the egg came out great... just not quite as good as the offset. Granted I haven't "learned" to smoke on the egg yet, but I never intended to completely replace the smoker with it.
                        Originally posted by stevo
                        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

SVO bangs teen models, SVT gets rode hard 5 hrs a day and can outlast Peter North.... some of us dig food and married into a food and wine family. We all can't have it all.

I get a nice dinner, good wine and rode hard for 5 minutes in a suite sometimes.... it's all good.

Comment

I cooked some ribeyes on my Primo doing the "reverse sear" Bcoop mentioned. Holy shit, these came out badass. REALLY tender. I got caught in rain. Didnt pay attention. So I didnt grill above 550. Was in hurry.

Anyways, I took out grill when it hit 130 and followed rest of the "how to".

1st pic is pulling at 130
                            2nd is after the grill. Not hot as i wanted due to being in rush
                            3rd pic is after sitting for about 10 min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks really good. After this work trip, I'm going to try it too on some decent t bones I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                                REALLY tender.
                                Love it! The lower temperature up front gives time for the collagen, fat, and muscle fibers to break down more than it does when just going on a hot fire and staying there until it's done.

Comment

Working...
                                X